Mum's 'relief' as £60k raised to bring injured daughter home from Thailand after horrific accident

snoop1130

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Happy to hear that she is recovering and OK to go home, but of course, if her shyster insurance company hadn't been such a bunch of dogs, the fundraiser would not have been necessary. People dive into pools all day long without drama, so to suggest her doing so was "reckless" is just mean. I hope other tourists take note and put these bandits out of business. I wouldn't insure my goldfish with them after this.

Well said everybody needs to stay away from insure and go they are absolutely a waste of money the money they are making from folk and they won’t even do anything to help foooking shizer they are And well said amigo 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Happy to hear that she is recovering and OK to go home, but of course, if her shyster insurance company hadn't been such a bunch of dogs, the fundraiser would not have been necessary. People dive into pools all day long without drama, so to suggest her doing so was "reckless" is just mean. I hope other tourists take note and put these bandits out of business. I wouldn't insure my goldfish with them after this.

Diving in to a bar pool late night, is not a reckless act? If she was drinking as well? 

9 hours ago, digger70 said:

I hate insurance,,, But, should the young lady  had a look and see how deep the pool was before jumping/diving in the pool. That will be the argument of the insurance. and right so.

No. A mistake is a mistake. Ultimately it will be about the amount of alcohol in her blood.  

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It was not at a hotel. It was at a bar and it is unclear if the pool was even really meant for swimming, sometimes pools at bars are more decorative than functiontal. She dove into it apparently late at night. So this was not a typical swimming accident.

There may or may not have been signs saying no diving.

The insurance company -- which is not a small or "fly by night" operation as some have stated (nor is it HCI) and which has generally favorable reviews believes the circumstances are such that it qualifies as an unusually reckless act. The Financial Ombudsman, which had final say, is investigating. This body is independent of the insurance company and will likely make a fair ruling after taking the full circumstances into account.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

According to her sibling, there was a sign but she did not see it as it was late at night, i just do not recall past midnight or just before midnight

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Diving in to a bar pool late night, is not a reckless act? If she was drinking as well? 

You could turn that around you see.  Providing swimming facilities in the dead of night and serving alcohol- was that not a reckless act?  I would be interested to know if there was even a lifeguard on duty.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

You could turn that around you see.  Providing swimming facilities in the dead of night and serving alcohol- was that not a reckless act?  I would be interested to know if there was even a lifeguard on duty.

Seriously? 

How long have you stayed in Thailand? Or been to Spain, or any other back packer country where they party hard? Im not willing to pay for their reckless fun. 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It was not at a hotel. It was at a bar and it is unclear if the pool was even really meant for swimming, sometimes pools at bars are more decorative than functiontal. She dove into it apparently late at night. So this was not a typical swimming accident.

There may or may not have been signs saying no diving.

The insurance company -- which is not a small or "fly by night" operation as some have stated (nor is it HCI) and which has generally favorable reviews believes the circumstances are such that it qualifies as an unusually reckless act. The Financial Ombudsman, which had final say, is investigating. This body is independent of the insurance company and will likely make a fair ruling after taking the full circumstances into account.

More decorative than functional!  I'm not sure I'm wholly with you here.

I agree that we simply don't have the full facts. I've been assuming it was some sort of 'pool party'.  

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

14 years.

Then I assume you have seen your share of stupidity in Thailand by back packers, and other visitors. You still claim if at bar, jumping in to first and best swimmingpool head first drunk, still qualify to get full payment from your insurance company? 

It is the same if you claim your insurance after drunk driving if you ask me. 

47 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Then I assume you have seen your share of stupidity in Thailand by back packers, and other visitors. You still claim if at bar, jumping in to first and best swimmingpool head first drunk, still qualify to get full payment from your insurance company? 

It is the same if you claim your insurance after drunk driving if you ask me. 

Absolutely, I have seen quite a bit, done the odd bit, and heard of even more.  My point is this appears to be a pool party- they provided the facilities- at night what's more and were selling booze.  So there is a responsibility here!  I mean, what could possibly have gone wrong?

We don't know she was drunk.  She says she was ok, and she saw quite a few doing the same.  Diving in head first is an unfortunate phrase- mostly we go in diagonally I guess with hands foremost. I can only think she did something wild, perhaps.

I can't equate this with a reckless act- it's simply not the same as paragliding, bungee jumping, or indeed jumping in to a car while under the influence.

I'm just saying look at the context here.

14 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

...she chose to dive in a rock pool in pai...

Can you post a link to your source that mentions a rock pool? The news article cited in the OP mentions a bar's swimming pool:

A late night dive into a bar’s swimming pool in a remote area of Thailand, north of Bangkok, breaking two vertebrae, compressed her neck, leaving her unable to feel anything from the chest down.

Source: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/mums-relief-60k-raised-bring-2339275

Skydiving, bungy, paragliding, and diving is all ok as long certified operator, and dobe sober, and due to local regulations, as weather tide etc and the insurance company have it inits contract. Skydiving and paragliding tou need a special insurance which cost more. 

Nomads have explorer, but I still doubt they would paid for diving in to a pool at night! 

Even you sober and dive in to your hotel pool after closing is also arguable conserning insurance, since you brake the rules.

12 hours ago, dougiemac57 said:

Maybe her insurance never covered her for that. It is vitally important that you read what you are covered for in any insurance at least twice and then abide by it. Insurance companies are not there to help you unless you follow the rules. Same as people that arrive in Thailand hire a scooter etc no experience and no license then they have accidents and wonder why their insurance won't pay out.

From a statement made by the insurance company, Insure and Go:

"We do understand that people go on holiday to have fun and enjoy themselves, but we are not able to cover circumstances where the customer has acted in a way that puts themselves at risk.

"This is clearly stated in the policy terms and conditions”.

Source: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/fundraisers-trying-raise-60k-bring-2334510

The other day, I put myself at risk by crossing a Bankok road on a pedestrian crossing. Even though I was very careful, there was a possibility that I could have been hit by a vehicle.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:50 PM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

True enough. But it also sends out an equally bad message, which is, don't bother insuring at all. If I have a shitty accident, a bunch of people I don't know will go fund me, right?

The whole industry will lose and this will become an even more common occurrence than it is right now. 

She was away for 6 months all over the world and the insurance company knew it. Sky diving, being on a bike in Thailand maybe, but if they can't cover diving into a resort pool, I suspect not much else of the policy was worth a lot. Enough folk will take notice to cost them way more than the payout.

Id be  worrying more over the ease at raising 60k and the great opportunity for swindlers to latch onto this, just a few  pics from a hospital bed etc, who regulates it etc or  does any checks, scammers  paradise I would think?

10 minutes ago, kannot said:

Id be  worrying more over the ease at raising 60k and the great opportunity for swindlers to latch onto this, just a few  pics from a hospital bed etc, who regulates it etc or  does any checks, scammers  paradise I would think?

Im happy for her to get the money so she can get out the trouble. It is a clear case she has been unlucky, and media made a good case for her backed up with details. I would be more than happy to pay up for a friend in need, no worries. 

23 hours ago, Compass Call said:

Apparently, there was a sign at the pool saying "No Diving". Probably for a very good reason.

The insurance company are bound to have found out about it and therefore refused to pay out.

Insurance companies are very good at finding out things that would mean that they could reuse a claim.

That is understated. They aren't very good at it, that is their job. They excel at it, they are excellent at it. They pay experts money to find ways to deny claims... and the folks who are better at it get raises and promotions. All paid for by... the insured. 

Go fund me are like hospitals best friends now. Nothing like sucking every last dime out of the public's well-wished theoughts. 

3 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

That is understated. They aren't very good at it, that is their job. They excel at it, they are excellent at it. They pay experts money to find ways to deny claims... and the folks who are better at it get raises and promotions. All paid for by... the insured. 

I quite sure every business trying to milk what they can do for their shareholders, and again protect those who is playing by the rules. It is not a charity program. But lucky girls, she managed to get her bills paid for, by people who cares about her. 

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

I quite sure every business trying to milk what they can do for their shareholders, and again protect those who is playing by the rules. It is not a charity program. But lucky girls, she managed to get her bills paid for, by people who cares about her. 

I agree. I am just making the point there is no better friend to hospitals taking advantage of the feelings of sorrow in the public than these money raising sites. 

On 12/18/2018 at 9:34 PM, darksidedog said:

Sorry to disappoint, but they are gold, they are fish, cheap fish I might add that are not worth insuring anyway, especially if it is money straight out the front door. I would of course, suffer deep traumatic loss when I find them floating belly up one morning, and require counseling. If they won't pay for this accident, I suspect my policy would leave me suffering even greater loss than just the fish. :smile:

I have a goldfish, but I think it is an epileptic. 

Odd thing is....it recovers the minute I put it back in the tank.

It is not clear that this was intended to be a swimming facility.

I agree that we simply don't have the full facts. I've been assuming it was some sort of 'pool party'.  
Many bars and restaurants have small shallow pools of water, fountains etc. as part of their decor.

That drinking patrons began to go into it doesn't make it an official pool party.

We really just don't know. But the principals involved do as does (or will) the Ombudsman.

Why is the woman wearing a collar which is clearly not meant for someone with a 'broken neck'? The soft collar she is wearing is what you'd wear after getting a stiff neck or may be whiplash. This story is being played out to get sympathy and donations. I don't believe we're being told the full story. Lets wait for the other sides version of events, the insurers, before we decide who is right or wrong. 

Wilson had signed up for travel insurance, but the company allegedly refused to pay because her injuries were caused by a “reckless act,” her family claimed.

It's 'allegedly and claimed'. Let's hear both sides of the story please. I can find nothing where damage to her neck would cause her to be unable to walk.

C5-C6 treatment

Most problems identified at the C5-C6 spinal segment can be treated or managed with nonsurgical medical care, such as medication and physical therapy. As a general rule, if neck pain doesn’t improve with 3 to 6 months of nonsurgical treatments, or if neurological symptoms don’t improve after 6 weeks or worsen or persist, then surgical evaluation should be considered.

Funny how reportings done these days. Years ago it would not be about Hotel Signs, Insurance, begging for Money etc, more nearer to the truth. Sort off, Youngster miss judges and pays dearly. Yeh , i remember falling of a Snow Bank at 17., and the Local Paper might just as well said Local Idiot careless regarding own Safety. In hindsight, a fair inference, i was a bit pissed at the time.:burp:....

Many bars and restaurants have small shallow pools of water, fountains etc. as part of their decor.

That drinking patrons began to go into it doesn't make it an official pool party.

We really just don't know. But the principals involved do as does (or will) the Ombudsman.

Archived