Mum's 'relief' as £60k raised to bring injured daughter home from Thailand after horrific accident

snoop1130

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you read the Leicestershire Live article, the insurance company isn't hiding and, while they do not comment on the specifics of the case, they do say:

"We’ve had to take a lot of information into account, including reports from our investigator and CCTV footage of the incident."

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Happy to hear that she is recovering and OK to go home, but of course, if her shyster insurance company hadn't been such a bunch of dogs, the fundraiser would not have been necessary. People dive into pools all day long without drama, so to suggest her doing so was "reckless" is just mean. I hope other tourists take note and put these bandits out of business. I wouldn't insure my goldfish with them after this.

Maybe her insurance never covered her for that. It is vitally important that you read what you are covered for in any insurance at least twice and then abide by it. Insurance companies are not there to help you unless you follow the rules. Same as people that arrive in Thailand hire a scooter etc no experience and no license then they have accidents and wonder why their insurance won't pay out.

2 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

wrong on many accounts.begging for medical bills that could have been avoided.she chose to dive in a rock pool in pai.if a sign was there then it is they for a reason.no wonder the insurance refused.they ask everyone to help her cause why not remortage their house or anything else but begging to everyone please help us.i,am sure they will be another begging bowl out soon i wonder  who it will be.if you take out insurance make sure u check the do,s and don,t,s.too many begging for hands out when something happens now

Obviously you have never been in such a terrible position, but i hope that your turn comes soon

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I hope you are right....  

But unfortunately too many people look only at the bottom line, quality no longer matters over price... its why and how we end up consuming so much rubbish... 

See these guys out of business... but unfortunately I feel they will remain competitive on price and that's all most people will look at, and why not, 'it won't happen to them, right' ???

Does anyone know the name of insurance company , not the website but actual company name that insured this poor girl, I would like to keep away from it when doing my annual insurance 

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

Good, I hope they follow up with a complaint to the ombudsman about the insurance company here.

Or go to a local free legal/citizens advice centre.. most towns have something along these lines to help in this type of situation.

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Agree.  Though, tbh, the article says it was a "world-wide" response.  At all events, it's pleasing to see that, despite so much $hit taking place in the world, the spirit of generosity still pulses weakly in the Global DNA.

Nice one, Scrooges of the world.

I wonder how much of that money which  came from World Wide donations, came from the rich of Thailand,

Everyone usually likes to blame insurance company and yes it’s sad what has happened to her but fact is there was a sign no diving and it was I believe just past midnight or just prior to midnight. Most if not all places also have signs and closing times which are usually 20-22pm. 

Yes insuranve could have paid out but once again if insurance accepted liability it is NOT only 60000 pounds but life time payments which would run into millions.

its no different to people getting 500 baht rooms but expecting Hilton rooms and service .

Perhaps if she worded her story or claim little bit different saying she slipped , the outcome would have been different .

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

Perhaps if she worded her story or claim little bit different saying she slipped , the outcome would have been different .

The linked Leicestershire Live article quotes the insurer as saying that they have CCTV video of the incident.

7 hours ago, Canuckabroad said:

I don’t think the insurance company knew about the sign. She was injured and transported to two hospitals for surgery within about 48 hours.  I’ve had emergency surgery too while traveling and the insurer has a very short window to say whether or not they’ll cover you.  For small amounts, maybe they’ll tell you to pay it and file a claim later, but in this case it would be her friends and family making desperate phone calls to a toll free number while the hospital’s rep is standing there.  Someone at the insurance company saw the following: diving into a pool, no lifeguard, and maybe also the time that it happened.  Based on that they used their reckless behaviour clause to deny her.

A no diving sign and other fine evidence would come up if they were trying to sue her to recover the costs over an incorrect claim.  And in my opinion, that’s what makes it all worse, because even a crap insurance company should have paid the relatively small amount to save her life and then try to recover it.  A 60k bill isn’t really that high.  It’s not like this accident happened in the US or Japan where it could be a 50 times that.

An insurance company must 'denie' , then given time cover. To say 'no' within the first 48 doesn't mean all that much to a gold fish. This girl want MONEY after she has already been given treatment. This isn't about the first emergency in my opinion. The Insurance fulfilled it's obligation; the girl was drunk, or on drugs, or just plain stupid. None of which is an obligation for the insurance to cover. This would have been averted if Brexit was last year.

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

Everyone usually likes to blame insurance company and yes it’s sad what has happened to her but fact is there was a sign no diving and it was I believe just past midnight or just prior to midnight. Most if not all places also have signs and closing times which are usually 20-22pm. 

Yes insuranve could have paid out but once again if insurance accepted liability it is NOT only 60000 pounds but life time payments which would run into millions.

its no different to people getting 500 baht rooms but expecting Hilton rooms and service .

There would be no lifetime payments as the cost would be shouldered by the NHS once back in the UK - you might possibly get a few weeks of physio privately via travel insurance but nothing much more.  Insure and Go if I remember correctly advertise everywhere - on the tube for example, seems an introducer for some offshore underwriter and assistance provider "MAPFRE ASISTENCIA". I think I remember seeing ads for single trip insurance from this outfit for under a fiver (about 6.5usd) - go figure, take of costs of ads either directly or via an agent (usually your travel agent) then you're left with a cost of big mac to cover you - 500baht probably would of went a long way to something underwritten by a decent UK insurer and assistance by something global like AXA etc..

As the article says, the onus is on the insurance company to prove it was reckless, so at least for now all the thaivisa armchair detectives can take a break - InsureAndGo will be in touch for your services shortly.. 

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Happy to hear that she is recovering and OK to go home, but of course, if her shyster insurance company hadn't been such a bunch of dogs, the fundraiser would not have been necessary. People dive into pools all day long without drama, so to suggest her doing so was "reckless" is just mean. I hope other tourists take note and put these bandits out of business. I wouldn't insure my goldfish with them after this.

I have used them in the past, but if this is their attitude I will never use them again and will advise all my friends who travel not to use them either!

One may think that if she was in a vehicle hit by another and injured Insure n Go may just say she should not have been in the vehicle (shades of some past RTP excuses).

4 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Funny clauses in the Insurance world. My Watch is only insured when im wearing it. Who would dream that one up. Yet my Wifes rings/gold  are covered by same company worn or not.

The lesson to be learned there is to read the small print, which you obviously did.

5 minutes ago, digitalnobhead said:

There would be no lifetime payments as the cost would be shouldered by the NHS once back in the UK - you might possibly get a few weeks of physio privately via travel insurance but nothing much more.  Insure and Go if I remember correctly advertise everywhere - on the tube for example, seems an introducer for some offshore underwriter and assistance provider "MAPFRE ASISTENCIA". I think I remember seeing ads for single trip insurance from this outfit for under a fiver (about 6.5usd) - go figure, take of costs of ads either directly or via an agent (usually your travel agent) then you're left with a cost of big mac to cover you - 500baht probably would of went a long way to something underwritten by a decent UK insurer and assistance by something global like AXA etc. 

And now go check the clause for should you be dead or loss of an organ or incapacitated.

1 minute ago, lvr181 said:

I have used them in the past, but if this is their attitude I will never use them again and will advise all my friends who travel not to use them either!

Good luck with finding an alternative insurance company at the same price who offer cover for diving in shallow pools.

I hate insurance,,, But, should the young lady  had a look and see how deep the pool was before jumping/diving in the pool. That will be the argument of the insurance. and right so.

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Good luck with finding an alternative insurance company at the same price who offer cover for diving in shallow pools.

Insurance is not about price but about the cover it gives you, for the price. But more important is that the insured needs to understand/check what the policy DOES NOT COVER.

7 hours ago, Canuckabroad said:

I don’t think the insurance company knew about the sign. She was injured and transported to two hospitals for surgery within about 48 hours.  I’ve had emergency surgery too while traveling and the insurer has a very short window to say whether or not they’ll cover you.  For small amounts, maybe they’ll tell you to pay it and file a claim later, but in this case it would be her friends and family making desperate phone calls to a toll free number while the hospital’s rep is standing there.  Someone at the insurance company saw the following: diving into a pool, no lifeguard, and maybe also the time that it happened.  Based on that they used their reckless behaviour clause to deny her.

A no diving sign and other fine evidence would come up if they were trying to sue her to recover the costs over an incorrect claim.  And in my opinion, that’s what makes it all worse, because even a crap insurance company should have paid the relatively small amount to save her life and then try to recover it.  A 60k bill isn’t really that high.  It’s not like this accident happened in the US or Japan where it could be a 50 times that.

The UK Ombudsman will get to the bottom of it; and release their findings with details of any actions on the company.

This company are looking bad whatever happens. No one in their right mind would consider insuring with them based on this case which will likely get more media coverage once he Ombudsman's investigation is made public.

But, IME, Insurance companies are often <deleted> when it comes to service or avoiding payment. On-line and call centers have made this easier for them to frustrate people rather than increases their value for money propositions. And that is a conscious decision of their managements.

I think your just comments should appear in the English press. ..or at least the full story of her accident.

Then maybe people will take notice and boycott this mean insurance company. I hope her parents take them on and expose them back in the UK.

19 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

My friend has annual, multi trip, travel insurance with his bank HSBC.

When he broke his back snow skiing in Spain they took care of all local hospital bills and flew him back to Hong Kong Business class. No quibbling. ..and no "this is a dangerous activity".

Insure with a GOOD reputable company!

All those who contributed should write to their government about the legitimacy of her insurance company, Insure and Go, according to other articles that can be found on the Internet.  It's unfortunate that most insurance companies will seek ways to deny claims.  By law, insurance companies shouldn't be allowed to weasel their way out of paying claims.  I hope a pro-bono lawyer takes her case and sues her insurance company.

13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Great news.

Unfortunately the Insurance Company will carry on merrily to scam another day. 

The company she used in the UK was "Insure and Go" based in Southend-on-Sea. (ref" The Sun"). Please think wisely before considering this company for your travel insurance.

Archived