BANGKOK
snoop1130

Mum's 'relief' as £60k raised to bring injured daughter home from Thailand after horrific accident

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Good luck with finding an alternative insurance company at the same price who offer cover for diving in shallow pools.

How deep is a shallow pool? If they didnt specify that then they cant use it as an excuse.

11 hours ago, Canuckabroad said:

I don’t think the insurance company knew about the sign. She was injured and transported to two hospitals for surgery within about 48 hours.  I’ve had emergency surgery too while traveling and the insurer has a very short window to say whether or not they’ll cover you.  For small amounts, maybe they’ll tell you to pay it and file a claim later, but in this case it would be her friends and family making desperate phone calls to a toll free number while the hospital’s rep is standing there.  Someone at the insurance company saw the following: diving into a pool, no lifeguard, and maybe also the time that it happened.  Based on that they used their reckless behaviour clause to deny her.

A no diving sign and other fine evidence would come up if they were trying to sue her to recover the costs over an incorrect claim.  And in my opinion, that’s what makes it all worse, because even a crap insurance company should have paid the relatively small amount to save her life and then try to recover it.  A 60k bill isn’t really that high.  It’s not like this accident happened in the US or Japan where it could be a 50 times that.

what a <deleted>....g BS insurance...but I guess this is every insurances way to conduct business...<deleted>....k ur customer over really well...an international plague...

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The insurance company claimed it was a "reckless" act and they will not cover it.

I agree with the insurance company.

It wasn’t a specific exclusion like riding a motorcycle or scuba diving etc.There will be consideration by the ombudsman on what constitutes reckless- it isn’t down just to the insurers. She has a decent shot at winning.

15 hours ago, Compass Call said:

Apparently, there was a sign at the pool saying "No Diving". Probably for a very good reason.

The insurance company are bound to have found out about it and therefore refused to pay out.

Insurance companies are very good at finding out things that would mean that they could reuse a claim.

Confessing that I also dove into many pools with that sort of sign. (after checking the depth though). I do also allow my kids to jump, if nobody is around. Let them have some fun!

I believe most of the signs are there to avoid annoying other folks sunbathing with excessive splashing. 

I do not consider myself reckless. 

Anyway, good the the family got funded. Shame on the Insurance. 

15 hours ago, Compass Call said:

Apparently, there was a sign at the pool saying "No Diving". Probably for a very good reason.

The insurance company are bound to have found out about it and therefore refused to pay out.

Insurance companies are very good at finding out things that would mean that they could reuse a claim.

Pools have signs saying "No Diving" to protect themselves if something like this happens, and, because it can disturb other swimmers and/or people sitting in chaises poolside who get splashed, etc.

I am not a lawyer.

Imo, she cannot sue the hotel due to the sign, but that is not an out for the insurance company.

Or it's at least a moot point.

2 hours ago, dreaming said:

How deep is a shallow pool? If they didnt specify that then they cant use it as an excuse.

Individual reasonable care to ascertain would be the yardstick unless one is a pedantic fool jumping in to any pool they come across.

Edited by SheungWan

18 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Must be bloody expensive ones 

Very Coy☺️

19 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Great news.

Unfortunately the Insurance Company will carry on merrily to scam another day. 

Insurance companies are all the same, greedy capitalists who try every method they can not to pay out claims.

19 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Great news.

Unfortunately the Insurance Company will carry on merrily to scam another day. 

Crazy to insure with some of these small unheard of companies

it could be just a couple blokes in their basement.

Claim comes in, oh we'll, don't pay and close up shop before they are sued. Open with a new name next week.

I sympathise with her injury but not stupidity if thst is what it was.

Edited by Sumarianson

If I go to the LOS I ride a scooter.i make sure i have a international driving along with the UK one.check my policy of do,s and don,t,s.make sure i,am covered and what could cause a issue.being drunk on a scooter not covered jumping into rock pools in pai not covered.i will not be begging if I have a accident I,am covered.mit be harsh but life and travelling you must have head screwed on