Jump to content

Mum's 'relief' as £60k raised to bring injured daughter home from Thailand after horrific accident


snoop1130

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Happy to hear that she is recovering and OK to go home, but of course, if her shyster insurance company hadn't been such a bunch of dogs, the fundraiser would not have been necessary. People dive into pools all day long without drama, so to suggest her doing so was "reckless" is just mean. I hope other tourists take note and put these bandits out of business. I wouldn't insure my goldfish with them after this.

Well said everybody needs to stay away from insure and go they are absolutely a waste of money the money they are making from folk and they won’t even do anything to help foooking shizer they are And well said amigo 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Happy to hear that she is recovering and OK to go home, but of course, if her shyster insurance company hadn't been such a bunch of dogs, the fundraiser would not have been necessary. People dive into pools all day long without drama, so to suggest her doing so was "reckless" is just mean. I hope other tourists take note and put these bandits out of business. I wouldn't insure my goldfish with them after this.

Diving in to a bar pool late night, is not a reckless act? If she was drinking as well? 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, digger70 said:

I hate insurance,,, But, should the young lady  had a look and see how deep the pool was before jumping/diving in the pool. That will be the argument of the insurance. and right so.

No. A mistake is a mistake. Ultimately it will be about the amount of alcohol in her blood.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It was not at a hotel. It was at a bar and it is unclear if the pool was even really meant for swimming, sometimes pools at bars are more decorative than functiontal. She dove into it apparently late at night. So this was not a typical swimming accident.

There may or may not have been signs saying no diving.

The insurance company -- which is not a small or "fly by night" operation as some have stated (nor is it HCI) and which has generally favorable reviews believes the circumstances are such that it qualifies as an unusually reckless act. The Financial Ombudsman, which had final say, is investigating. This body is independent of the insurance company and will likely make a fair ruling after taking the full circumstances into account.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

According to her sibling, there was a sign but she did not see it as it was late at night, i just do not recall past midnight or just before midnight

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Diving in to a bar pool late night, is not a reckless act? If she was drinking as well? 

 

 

 

 

You could turn that around you see.  Providing swimming facilities in the dead of night and serving alcohol- was that not a reckless act?  I would be interested to know if there was even a lifeguard on duty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

You could turn that around you see.  Providing swimming facilities in the dead of night and serving alcohol- was that not a reckless act?  I would be interested to know if there was even a lifeguard on duty.

Seriously? 

 

How long have you stayed in Thailand? Or been to Spain, or any other back packer country where they party hard? Im not willing to pay for their reckless fun. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It was not at a hotel. It was at a bar and it is unclear if the pool was even really meant for swimming, sometimes pools at bars are more decorative than functiontal. She dove into it apparently late at night. So this was not a typical swimming accident.

There may or may not have been signs saying no diving.

The insurance company -- which is not a small or "fly by night" operation as some have stated (nor is it HCI) and which has generally favorable reviews believes the circumstances are such that it qualifies as an unusually reckless act. The Financial Ombudsman, which had final say, is investigating. This body is independent of the insurance company and will likely make a fair ruling after taking the full circumstances into account.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
 

More decorative than functional!  I'm not sure I'm wholly with you here.

 

I agree that we simply don't have the full facts. I've been assuming it was some sort of 'pool party'.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Seriously? 

 

How long have you stayed in Thailand? Or been to Spain, or any other back packer country where they party hard? Im not willing to pay for their reckless fun. 

 

 

14 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

14 years.

Then I assume you have seen your share of stupidity in Thailand by back packers, and other visitors. You still claim if at bar, jumping in to first and best swimmingpool head first drunk, still qualify to get full payment from your insurance company? 

 

It is the same if you claim your insurance after drunk driving if you ask me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Then I assume you have seen your share of stupidity in Thailand by back packers, and other visitors. You still claim if at bar, jumping in to first and best swimmingpool head first drunk, still qualify to get full payment from your insurance company? 

 

It is the same if you claim your insurance after drunk driving if you ask me. 

Absolutely, I have seen quite a bit, done the odd bit, and heard of even more.  My point is this appears to be a pool party- they provided the facilities- at night what's more and were selling booze.  So there is a responsibility here!  I mean, what could possibly have gone wrong?

 

We don't know she was drunk.  She says she was ok, and she saw quite a few doing the same.  Diving in head first is an unfortunate phrase- mostly we go in diagonally I guess with hands foremost. I can only think she did something wild, perhaps.

 

I can't equate this with a reckless act- it's simply not the same as paragliding, bungee jumping, or indeed jumping in to a car while under the influence.

 

I'm just saying look at the context here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

...she chose to dive in a rock pool in pai...

1

Can you post a link to your source that mentions a rock pool? The news article cited in the OP mentions a bar's swimming pool:

 

Quote

A late night dive into a bar’s swimming pool in a remote area of Thailand, north of Bangkok, breaking two vertebrae, compressed her neck, leaving her unable to feel anything from the chest down.

Source: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/mums-relief-60k-raised-bring-2339275

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Skydiving, bungy, paragliding, and diving is all ok as long certified operator, and dobe sober, and due to local regulations, as weather tide etc and the insurance company have it inits contract. Skydiving and paragliding tou need a special insurance which cost more. 

 

Nomads have explorer, but I still doubt they would paid for diving in to a pool at night! 

 

Even you sober and dive in to your hotel pool after closing is also arguable conserning insurance, since you brake the rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dougiemac57 said:

Maybe her insurance never covered her for that. It is vitally important that you read what you are covered for in any insurance at least twice and then abide by it. Insurance companies are not there to help you unless you follow the rules. Same as people that arrive in Thailand hire a scooter etc no experience and no license then they have accidents and wonder why their insurance won't pay out.

 

From a statement made by the insurance company, Insure and Go:

 

Quote

 

...

"We do understand that people go on holiday to have fun and enjoy themselves, but we are not able to cover circumstances where the customer has acted in a way that puts themselves at risk.

 

"This is clearly stated in the policy terms and conditions”.

...

 

 

Source: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/fundraisers-trying-raise-60k-bring-2334510

 

The other day, I put myself at risk by crossing a Bankok road on a pedestrian crossing. Even though I was very careful, there was a possibility that I could have been hit by a vehicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...