New "Smart Driving License" too smart for the Thai police

webfact

New "Smart Driving License" too smart for the Thai police

1pm1.jpg

An RTP spokesman has expressed concern over plans to do away with conventional driving licenses.

The cops wonder how they are going to do what they have always done - take a driver's license away when they offend and issue a temporary one until they turn up at the station within seven days. 

They also see the move to digital apps as a chance for criminals to take advantage of the system. 

Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat was commenting in his capacity as head of a committee looking into changes in traffic enforcement in Thailand. 

He is worried that "Smart Licences" or "Digital Licences" - planned to be introduced via the "DLT Smart Licence" app in mid January, will cause his men headaches. 

Principally he is worried about how the system will work when it comes to confiscating licences. And he believes criminals could abuse the system by posing as someone else. 

1pm.jpg

Department of Land Transport chief Pheeraphon Thawornsuphacharoen dismissed the concerns saying that a licence could be cancelled via the app. 

Though it could not physically be taken in it could still be suspended via the available tech on the app. 

He also said the technology would be safe doing exactly what it says on the tin. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-19

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised it doesn't appear to have been thought through. One department announcing a policy without consulting other departments who will be involved.

Or is it just sour grapes on the part of the police, as it makes it harder for them to extort cash from motorists?

I think their only worry is that they can no longer confiscate the drivers license to force people to pay fines. That is their major worry and nothing else. I understand that because it does make it harder for them but i also feel something of fun about the situation at the expense of the police.

The cops wonder how they are going to do what they have always done - take a driver's license away when they offend and issue a temporary one until they turn up at the station within seven day

Never have been issues a temp driving license?

"........What they always have done" as in withholding your DL to get some proper tea money?

This might mean the cops would have to issue fines on the spot like most of the rest of the world. Heaven forbid they actually have to be seen to be professional and trained to do their job in a manner that would meet international standards of the mid 20th century.

Shouldn't one of the main aspects of a smart licence be that any penalty points or fines due should be digitally endorsed to the licence? Of course that would entail the RTP learning something about the technology. Will it curtail the corrupt practices? Of course not; a few banknotes can easily be offered in preference to an electronic endorsement.

This statement no more than an anti-modernisation sentiment.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

at least some Thais are trying to come up with ways to fight the police from holding your license for ransom and extorting money on the spot.

And those "some Thais" should be applauded for their efforts.....sadly though corruption/extortion are endemic in the majority of officials here and it will fall on deaf ears :whistling:

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not surprised it doesn't appear to have been thought through. One department announcing a policy without consulting other departments who will be involved.

Or is it just sour grapes on the part of the police, as it makes it harder for them to extort cash from motorists?

What he said!

But also: the concept of traffic- lights, zebra- crossings and handing out fines for traffic- rule violations are too smart for the Thai Police, sooooooo...

Prevents he police doing what they have always done ?

Like holding the license ransom until you pay them their bribe?

A friend of mine was caught drunk driving - at the checkpoint he was put into a police “prison” truck and was able to call some police and army friends who he had actually been drinking with that night.

Three of them showed up all of them drunk of course and negotiated to let him go for 6000 Baht. There were about 15 other people in the police truck who had to pay fines up to 20,000 baht - needless to say no receipt for the money was issued.

The worst thing though was that after he paid the fine negotiated by his Pals he was handed the car-keys and allowed to drive home as drunk as he was!

Which just shows smart license ,regular license or no license at all as long as the law is “enforced” by a bunch of crooks it doesn’t really matter if the license is “smart” or not.

Second scenario almost a year ago a friend of a friend was caught driving drunk at the same spot.

The guy said down at the table with the police and they took his driving license away he told them he would call some friends who would bring him money to pay the “fine” - with the police busy with other people he walked over to his car while talking on the phone sat down in his car and drove away leaving his driving license behind with the police.

My friend who told me that story was laughing and told me what he did is just unbelievable and expected the police at the doorstep any day.

Six months past and nothing happened so his friend who had been driving without a license all this time went to make a new license and did so without problems.

Which clearly shows the police just want their money - enforcing the law or following up without being able to line their pockets - they are not interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

as long as the law is “enforced” by a bunch of crooks it doesn’t really matter if the license is “smart” or not.

This pretty much sums up the vast majority of issues in Thailand... 

There can be a good system in place, but it needs good people across the board to make it work properly... Thai's are generally too 'giving' when it comes to enforcement - much of this flexibility is what draws many of us here to this more relaxed way of living, however, the ugly negative aspect is there once the surface is scratched.... 

Archived