New "Smart Driving License" too smart for the Thai police

webfact

21 hours ago, robblok said:

I think their only worry is that they can no longer confiscate the drivers license to force people to pay fines. That is their major worry and nothing else. I understand that because it does make it harder for them but i also feel something of fun about the situation at the expense of the police.

It does not make it harder... you go-into the new "live system" and suspend/cancel the licence.

As for concerns about someone using another persons licence just attach a photo to the persons file on the system when the application is made!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Is it actually allowed within Thai law for the police to hold your licence?

No the only person who can legally take your licence off you in Thailand is the courts, this was mentioned on Thai Visa a few months back. But you try telling the police that,they can't even understand their own road laws Re no helmets, wrong way down a soi, more than 2 on a bike, speeding, drink driving, underage drivers the list is endless

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Principally he is worried about how the system will work when it comes to confiscating licences. And he believes criminals could abuse the system by posing as someone else. 

Why don't they make a link between a persons Id/card# and the new licence?
All Thais must carry an Id card with their photo on it... use the Id number as the PIN on the new system to access their details, if a name change is ever made the number always stays the same!

Positive identification is initially made via the Id card photo.. what's the problem?

Why not make an Smartphone app so the police themselves can look you up based on your personal information, if they find you in THEIR system, then they can see the ID and the Picture associated with it, not to mention the status of the license. There is no dire need for the driver to have the license in his/her possession, just the proof that the license/ID is valid.

1 hour ago, a977 said:

No the only person who can legally take your licence off you in Thailand is the courts, this was mentioned on Thai Visa a few months back. But you try telling the police that,they can't even understand their own road laws Re no helmets, wrong way down a soi, more than 2 on a bike, speeding, drink driving, underage drivers the list is endless

That was told to me by the family lawyer who collected my licence for me in BKK. No payment to return licence, she stopped on the way back from the office and dropped it off at the house.

18 minutes ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

Half of Thailand is driving without licences anyway so not sure what this will achieve.

I cringe every time I think about that, the roads are a scary place to be, unless you are a Thai who is oblivious to the dangers, "its just bad luck".

Archived