German tourist on rented motorcycle dies in Kanchanaburi

webfact

German tourist on rented motorcycle dies in Kanchanaburi

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A German tourist returning to Kanchanaburi after a day out at the Erawan Falls died after being involved in a collision with a pick-up yesterday afternoon. 

The accident happened on the Lat Ya - Srisawat Road just before 4pm.

Klaus Peter, 61, was found with multiple fractures and head trauma.

The person who rented a Honda Click to him arrived on the scene. 

Some 100 meters away was an overturned pick-up that had been driven by 27 year old Kiatsak who is helping police with their inquiries. 

Witnesses said that the pick-up was overtaking other traffic when it collided with the bike ridden by the tourist that was heading back to Kanchanaburi. 

The tourist told the renter that he was heading out to the Erawan Falls and the Sri Nakharin Dam for a day out. 

A guide book was found next to the deceased. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-20

German tourist mentality: "Why is this truck overtaking in such a dangerous manner? Can't he see he's heading straight for me?" *smash*

Thai driver mentality: "Why doesn't that little motorbike get out of the way? Can't he see I am heading straight for him?" *smash*

Was the truckdriver on the incoming lane while overtaking/? If so i hope he has to pay a million euro to the german's relatives....i see this every day, Thai think that both lanes belong to them. Unfortunately the Thai driverslicense is also valid in Germany which is a huge shame. 

Rip.

2 nights ago, my wife and I were talking, she asked why we have a "real" motorcycle back home, and only a Honda Click here.   She commented that I also drive the motorcycle differently here.   I casually said: Yeah, my reaction time is not what it used to be,  people drive differently back home, and not many soi dogs, buffalo or crazy surprises on the streets

38 minutes ago, Katipo said:

German tourist mentality: "Why is this truck overtaking in such a dangerous manner? Can't he see he's heading straight for me?" *smash*

Thai driver mentality: "Why doesn't that little motorbike get out of the way? Can't he see I am heading straight for him?" *smash*

Couldn't be truer! My Thai Mrs overtakes in her car or Hilux completely on the wrong side of the road. When I scream "moto head on!" she responds "It's only a moto they have room to move over".

2 hours ago, Youlike said:

Was the truckdriver on the incoming lane while overtaking/? If so i hope he has to pay a million euro to the german's relatives....i see this every day, Thai think that both lanes belong to them. Unfortunately the Thai driverslicense is also valid in Germany which is a huge shame. 

Not in your wildest dreams.

Something between 100k to 200k Baht maybe. Death is cheap here.

For the insurance a death is a lot cheaper compared to a lengthy hospital stay.

6 hours ago, Youlike said:

If you know what is required (afford and time) to get a German driver's license this must be a real 'Big Joke'.

4 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Rip.

2 nights ago, my wife and I were talking, she asked why we have a "real" motorcycle back home, and only a Honda Click here.   She commented that I also drive the motorcycle differently here.   I casually said: Yeah, my reaction time is not what it used to be,  people drive differently back home, and not many soi dogs, buffalo or crazy surprises on the streets

I feel safer on a ‘real’ bike here. Higher, louder & more visible with the power and braking to get out of sticky situations easier (in my opinion) plus seemingly a little more respect given on the Duc over my Aerox. 

I had a few close calls on my scooter but so far nothing on the big bike. I still hope for the best and plan for the worst though!

2 hours ago, uwe_rayong said:

Not in your wildest dreams.

Something between 100k to 200k Baht maybe. Death is cheap here.

For the insurance a death is a lot cheaper compared to a lengthy hospital stay.

And in this case, the only people receiving any cash from Mr Kiatsak will be the local police.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

If you know what is required (afford and time) to get a German driver's license this must be a real 'Big Joke'.

Exactly, that's why Germany should ban the Thai driverslicense from their roads. This man didn't get a warning from the Thai government that drivers here LOVE to drive against traffic with all consequences from that.

Or Thailand should not let Westerners drive here without a Thai driverslicense where they tell you that you can use the incoming lanes as well.

But of course Thailand won't do anything, it's only a Western farang who died and they don't like them anyway.

5 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Couldn't be truer! My Thai Mrs overtakes in her car or Hilux completely on the wrong side of the road. When I scream "moto head on!" she responds "It's only a moto they have room to move over".

My next reaction with her driving would be "Stop the car I will walk and don't worry about me being a passenger next time

6 hours ago, Katipo said:

their is definitely something wrong with these people i had one drive into the side of me as he was waiting to pull out, never even saw me and there were many cars in front and behide me.

they dont have a clue

It's actually quite difficult to turn a pick-up truck on its roof. Hitting a Honda Click alone would not have achieved that. He probably needed all the following factors :-

1. High speed

2. Slamming on the brakes to create a skid.

3. Wrenching the steering wheel to one side wildly.

Even with all these he probably needed a little help from a drop off the edge of the road.

Sadly, this moron, Kiatsak, probably won't spend a day in jail.

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I feel safer on a ‘real’ bike here. Higher, louder & more visible with the power and braking to get out of sticky situations easier (in my opinion) plus seemingly a little more respect given on the Duc over my Aerox. 

I had a few close calls on my scooter but so far nothing on the big bike. I still hope for the best and plan for the worst though!

The big bike is much safer than a tiny scooter. It runs much faster. And in case of an accident you would not suffer..... an easy way to end your life. For sure! 

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

Exactly, that's why Germany should ban the Thai driverslicense from their roads. This man didn't get a warning from the Thai government that drivers here LOVE to drive against traffic with all consequences from that.

Or Thailand should not let Westerners drive here without a Thai driverslicense where they tell you that you can use the incoming lanes as well.

But of course Thailand won't do anything, it's only a Western farang who died and they don't like them anyway.

Thai drivers license are banned in Australia unless you have an international one 

8 hours ago, Youlike said:

Aaah - this happened in Thailand, they aren't gonna get a single baht.  The German will be blamed for causing the accident because it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't rented the motorbike.......case closed.

I live in kanchanaburi and the lazy cops here do absolutely nothing about road safety,helmets,3 and 4 clowns on bikes,going the wrong way against traffic or enforcing any sort of road rules,most of the bikes in town  are unregisterd, then you only see cops 9 till 5,the bar strip here where most of the bars and falang resturants are we see every night young clowns racing but never see a cop.

Archived