Rape up a fifth in Thailand with family members often responsible

webfact

Rape up a fifth in Thailand with family members often responsible

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The head of a foundation that serves to help and protect women and children in Thailand has reported a large rise in cases of rape.

And in many cases members of close families are responsible prompting calls for the authorities to take a long hard look at the matter. 

Daily News called it a problem facing Thai society. 

Paveena Hongsakul, a leading figure who fronts a foundation that bears her name, was delivering figures from her Rangsit HQ on Wednesday. 

She said that there were 768 rape cases handled by her organisation from the start of the year until December 10th. 

This was a 21% increase on the same period in 2017. 

Of this number more than 200 of the rapes were perpetrated by close family members. 

Some 109 were described as "relatives" with a further 68 itemized as step-fathers and 33 as fathers. 

Teachers amounted to 20 of those committing rape with 8 done by employers. 

Many of the rest were known to victims or people who met them through chat online. 

The foundation also reported a 13% rise in assault cases reported to them and a 32% rise in family related problems. 

The only good news was that cases of human trafficking showed a 19% reduction. 

Some 2,650 family related cases were handled by the Paveena Hongsakul Foundation this year with 260 cases centering on internet related issues. 

In all 7,745 cases were handled by the group that principally aims to help women and children facing difficulty and seeking justice in society. 

Many of their cases have been improperly or poorly investigated by the police resulting in appeals to the foundation. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-20

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Many of their cases have been improperly or poorly investigated by the police resulting in appeals to the foundation. 

This says it all and the heirarchial system in rapes by family members who believe the have the right to do what ever they want to younger siblings .

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

This was a 21% increase on the same period in 2017.  

I am hopeful that this is due in part to people being more ready to come forward rather than the actual cases increasing, but that is just a hope, cant support it with stats. Very sad that so many are within the family, though it has been commented worldwide that victims often know their abuser. Rapists and child abusers are abhorrent to normal minded folk. One hopes that Thailand will start to view such cases far more seriously and start putting these people in jail permanently, so that the message reaches everyone, it is NOT acceptable, regardless of who you are.

I believe there are not more cases but finally more cases are being reported.The Paveena foundation is doing a very good job helping girls and women in assisting them filing a report.

As usual the RTP needs a swift kick in the xss.

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I am hopeful that this is due in part to people being more ready to come forward rather than the actual cases increasing,

I think societies attitude is changing empowering more women to come forward

and not to be so concerned of Shame or Loss of Face

IMHO this is just more lawlessness ,caused by lazy law enforcement, creating a emboldened environment for shamless male predetors to operate, I am sure another special agency will be created to ''probe the problem'',followed by the grandstanding photo opp,they will use words like '' education and awareness'', the funds will disappear and the cycle of Thainess will continue......the end

33 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

I think societies attitude is changing empowering more women to come forward

and not to be so concerned of Shame or Loss of Face

I agree, but i think many, if not most cases go unreported just for the reason you mentioned.

I am sure that Western countries are not completely immune though, it must be emotionally painful for a rape victim to report to the authorities, especially when the perp belongs to her family.

I know about a case where the stepfather seems to be sexually active with his stepdaughter since she is maybe 14 years old.

All this is second hand information. I never saw it myself but that is not surprising.

It seems the mother knows what's going on.

It seems the daughter does not like the sex but it seems after some years (now she is 18) she likes the fact that she has some power to control her stepfather.

As long as father, mother and daughter "accept" this what can be done?

What would happen if a foreigner or a Thai would report this to the local police?

Would they arrest the father? Where would the money for the family come from? The mother looks after the young children.

Would some organization take care of the daughter? Sure? For how long?

How would the rest of the family react? How would the neighbors react?

It seems in some parts of Thailand that kind of behavior is not unusual and lots of people must have an idea what is happening but it seems most of the time nobody does anything.

And that is the problem and question: What could actually be done? And how likely is it that this will solve the problems?

1 minute ago, leither69 said:

Thais don't commit crimes against Thais. 

This is not a good subject Honestly Family members who have sex with other family members such as stepdaughters sons need their balls cut out Thye are misusing the trust

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

In my 20 years in Thailand I was always led to believe that Incest and Rape was quiet common in the villages up in sticky rice land

Research shows that there is a causal link between incest, rape and prostitution. Perhaps this is why Thai women from Isaan, are the leading participants of the Thai sex industry.

Interestingly, incest and rape crimes are also endemic amongst the Thai's genetic cousins in Malaysia: 

https://says.com/my/news/sex-crimes-in-sarawak-in-the-past-two-months

Archived