Increase recommended in speed limits on motorways and expressways

webfact

Increase recommended in speed limits on motorways and expressways

By The Nation

5cbbe616523b7dfee485fa3ddc281a64.jpeg

File Photo: Motorways

A police panel in charge of improving traffic law is proposing that speed limits be increased on motorways and expressways.

Pol Maj Gen Ekkarat Limsangkart, deputy commander of the Police Education Bureau who heads the police panel in charge of improving traffic law, said the speed limit of 90 kilometres per hour on expressways and motorways has been in place for 40 years and needs to be changed.

Currently, the speed limit on motorways is 90 km/h and 80 km/h on expressways. Ekkarat said the panel suggested the speed limit should be increased to about 100 km/h to 110 km/h.

Ekkarat said his panel would convene another meeting to finalise the proposal and submit it to the police commissioner, who would send it to the Cabinet for approval.

Ekkarat said the speed limits on motorways and expressways has been enforced based on the law enacted in 1979. The law states that the speed limit in Bangkok and municipality areas is 80 km/h and outside Bangkok and municipality areas is 90 km/h.

Since motorways are outside Bangkok and municipality areas, the speed limit is limited at 90 km/h and since expressways are in Bangkok, the speed limit is set at 80 km/h, Ekkarat explained.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360796

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-20

maxresdefault.jpg

Increased speed is not so bad on it's own if they drove sensibly but most of them tailgate and that's when the trouble arises. Tailgating at 110kph should be a bit more exciting than tailgating at 90kph so the number of accidents are likely to rise in direct proportion to the speed increase. 

Great decision Pol Maj Gen Ekkarat without any thought of other factors; just lift the speed limit and keep the fingers crossed. I wonder will it be legislated in time for the annual Christmas/New Year carnage.

They need to start enforcing lane discipline before increasing speed limits, until they start using the correct lane traffic will never flow as it should, having to "undertake" is the cause of many accidents here. Selfish drivers rule!

Obviously this would need the Police to actually enforce the law - so don't look for any change! 

1 hour ago, quandow said:

Really? REALLY?? Like anyone pays ANY attention to speed limits. That's one of the reasons I moved to Thailand - no speeding tickets.

Yes, I am sure it is, and that's one of the reasons economic migrants are despised in Thailand, because they seek a reckless criminal lifestyle.

1 hour ago, quandow said:

Really? REALLY?? Like anyone pays ANY attention to speed limits. That's one of the reasons I moved to Thailand - no speeding tickets.

How long have you been driving in THailand? Cameras and police blocks all over. 

........since expressways are in Bangkok, the speed limit is set at 80 km/h.

Mmm, even in Thailand mandatory signs have red borders. Whenever I drive the expressways to and from Dao Khanong into the city the digital signs flash '80' in orange colour NOT red and I have always assumed that the indicated limit was advisory.

6 hours ago, quandow said:

Hertz did send me 4 emails with speeding tickets attached to it, each 500 baht. Obtained when driving from Bangkok to Chaing Mai and back in feb. - march.

Driving 5 km/h or 40 km/h too fast, all are 500 baht.

Raising the limit on roads that have U-turns is crazy.

Are these people on the same Planet as the rest of us ?

They really need to do something about REDUCEING the speed of the vehicles on the roads.

This will allow more time for the Thai drivers to play Angry Birds, watch Movies or even talk on their Phones whilst driving.

1 hour ago, Paul944 said:

Hertz did send me 4 emails with speeding tickets attached to it, each 500 baht. Obtained when driving from Bangkok to Chaing Mai and back in feb. - march.

Driving 5 km/h or 40 km/h too fast, all are 500 baht.

Raising the limit on roads that have U-turns is crazy.

Going south there isn’t anything (that’s functioning correctly) as far as I’m aware. I’ll have to give north a try to pop my cherry 

I'm sure that the Thais are disappointed that they've dropped from 1 to 6 in the latest road fatality rates.. Increasing the speed limit should at least get Thailand back to no. 1 spot again..

Sheer stupidity increasing the speed limits that no-one drives at anyway.. In Bangkok and Nonthaburi I rarely see any limit signs on motorways or expressways, and certainly no mention in the computer DL test.. Is anyone's guess? I have to say there is much better speed signage with speed camera warnings when driving out of Bangkok and driving NE to Isaan areas..

What peeves me are many expressways with 3-4 lanes unmarked, no-one using indicators when changing lanes, tailgating and cutting in tightly at speed..

Do the RTP actually have an official road rules handbook and enforcement policy?? Because after years in Thailand the roads are near lawless and everyone knows it..

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

How long have you been driving in THailand? Cameras and police blocks all over. 

I got caught by a hand held speed gun. 130 on an inter state highway. Fined 400 baht and a ticket, reduced to 100 baht tucked under the coppers clipboard on appeal. No ticket. On my way within 5 minutes and back at 130 a couple of minutes after that. Not a problem.

Archived