Increase recommended in speed limits on motorways and expressways

webfact

Speeding here has never bothered me, its the tailgating, the never used blinkers, abrupt lane changes into non-existent perceived space between cars, the total idiot who is completely stopped in a slow lane and changes lanes into a fast moving heavy-traffic lane, the numbnuts who change lanes over SOLID lines, or thru hashmarked areas. Then there's the ultimate morons (who should be labeled attempted murderers) using the hard should as a highspeed passing lane, or better yet the on-off ramps. But they should start by going after the so-called professional drivers (Mini-Buses, Large Buses, Taxis, etc) who are driving to endanger by doing all of the above, especially the Mini-Buses loaded down with 15 people and luggage travelling 2 feet from the bumper of a car in front of them, then when they crash, its the brake-failure excuse....classic!

10 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Speeding here has never bothered me, its the tailgating, the never used blinkers, abrupt lane changes into non-existent perceived space between cars, the total idiot who is completely stopped in a slow lane and changes lanes into a fast moving heavy-traffic lane, the numbnuts who change lanes over SOLID lines, or thru hashmarked areas. Then there's the ultimate morons (who should be labeled attempted murderers) using the hard should as a highspeed passing lane, or better yet the on-off ramps. But they should start by going after the so-called professional drivers (Mini-Buses, Large Buses, Taxis, etc) who are driving to endanger by doing all of the above, especially the Mini-Buses loaded down with 15 people and luggage travelling 2 feet from the bumper of a car in front of them, then when they crash, its the brake-failure excuse....classic!

Was travelling up to Kohn Kaen last Christmas. Traffic was horrendous. Three minibuses, nose to tail. came flying down the hard shoulder. 15 minutes later, passed one of them upside down in a ditch at the side of the road.

What fascinating creatures. 

So many problems to resolve but they, in typical Thai arrogance and incompence, think increasing the speed limit is a good solution. 

Thais, in general, don't seem to pay any attention to the rarely seen speed limit signs anyway. 

10 hours ago, CGW said:

They need to start enforcing lane discipline before increasing speed limits, until they start using the correct lane traffic will never flow as it should, having to "undertake" is the cause of many accidents here. Selfish drivers rule!

Obviously this would need the Police to actually enforce the law - so don't look for any change! 

No highway patrol , only road blocks . I was driving today and told my lady if the UK traffic police were here they would be burnt out in a week . Outside lane huggers are so bloody annoying and cause chaos , almost as much as the slow truck that pulls out and causes you to almost stop when he could have waited 5 more seconds for the clear road behind . Thai drivers do not give a flying xxxx for fellow road users and raising the speed limit should keep Thailand at number 1 in the worlds deaths on the roads chart .

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thais, in general, don't seem to pay any attention to the rarely seen speed limit signs anyway. 

They don't pay attention to anything but their own wants, they could care less about road rules, safety, etc. 

Case in point, the new solid lines painted before the tolls booths on Sirat Expressway at exit 2-07, there are 5 huge yellow signs saying don't change lanes ahead, guess what happens every day in that same area? I've seen several accidents because of people changing lanes in there, and these dummies still can't help themselves. Personally, I have to wonder who hires these people, especially the HI-SO's, if they can't do the basics and follow simple road/safety rules. The fact that this society even remotely survives any given day, is a miracle.

From what my wife tells me, they seem to believe its luck, not bad driving that will befall them.

Yes. This is exactly what the 2nd deadliest country for road deaths needs.... faster roads.

I’m almost at a loss for words, but you know what? Give it to them. Let them die faster, as if anyone obeys the rules anyway.

About  time to, speed limits are woefully  inadequate  here, next force  lorries to keep to the  inner  lane only, more and more now use  all 3, then stop the no tail light motorbikes, again more and more and more.

15 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, I am sure it is, and that's one of the reasons economic migrants are despised in Thailand, because they seek a reckless criminal lifestyle.

Calm down grandpa. I'm referring to the highway speed limits which the highway patrol have admitted are set intentionally lower than safe speeds in order to generate revenue.

I love the way everyone here seems to think the Thai's are uniquely bad drivers.

Because I've seen a disproportionate number of idiot foreigners on Thai roads who have gone beyond native and drive just as badly, and some even worse than the average locals.

apparently theres a loop hole in the law. no sign means no fine. Good luck haggling the bib but its true as a case for this just happened locally. Ive been trying to use this excuse for years that the limits arent displayed so how the hell would I know. Playing it safe and driving at 40 aint safe...

Now can they stop painting big speedlimits on the actual roads and extra stupid incredibly dangerous lines on the roads now which is just insanity. Its like driving in a computer game that becones like snow in the wet and annoying for big bikes. So fn dangerous.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Because I've seen a disproportionate number of idiot foreigners on Thai roads who have gone beyond native and drive just as badly, and some even worse than the average locals.

Bullshit.

Falangs worse than Thais on the roads.

Double bullshit. 

10 hours ago, ocddave said:

Correct, speed is  not  the issue, unfortunately years of this "speed  kills BS" in the west has become  ingrained in some peoples thought process. 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

speed limit should be increased to about 100 km/h to 110 km/h

I see many motorists already greatly exceeding the speed limits by 20 or 30 kph - with an increase in speed limits they would then be driving 120 to 160 kph because they have to be first!  I suppose they want to get back to the #1 spot in the world for fatalities. 

10 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

What fascinating creatures. 

So many problems to resolve but they, in typical Thai arrogance and incompence, think increasing the speed limit is a good solution. 

So true.  It is only over the past year that I have seen any speed limit signs on the highway between Amnat Charoen and Ubon Ratchathani.  As you say no one obeys them any way.  In Amnat Charoen the speed limit was posted at 50 kph several km before reaching the town centre.  Then it was changed to 60 kph. (complaints??)  Either no one sees the signs or they just ignore them - I estimate the average speed in that area is about 90 kph until the speed becomes self-regulated due to the volume of traffic.

So we have a law enacted in 1979 (almost 40 years ago) setting expressway limits at 80kph in Bangkok and 90kph outside and yet when I drive on the expressway from Pattaya to Bangkok I see large numbers of static signs posting the limit of 120kph.  The orange LED signs quote the 80 or 90  but if the limits are truly at that level and have been there for 40 years isn't it about time they took the 120 signs down?

Won't make any difference.  People drive as fast as they wish as it is because there is no traffic enforcement on Thai roads.  Increasing the speed limit will only effect fines collected at stationary speed traps along these highways. 

On 12/20/2018 at 10:46 AM, CGW said:

They need to start enforcing lane discipline before increasing speed limits, until they start using the correct lane traffic will never flow as it should, having to "undertake" is the cause of many accidents here. Selfish drivers rule!

Obviously this would need the Police to actually enforce the law - so don't look for any change! 

That starts with the most basic education.... 

Nearly every Thai I have spoken believe the Middle Lane on the Express way is the lane we 'should' be driving in....

Until education improves not much can or will change... It needs to start with getting rid of the juvenile Khun Suay, Khun Jai Rai rubbish on those videos at the DLT which doesn't teach any driving at all, just how to be calm at the wheel - its moronic... 

The basic rules of driving need to be taught - no one seems to know anything and just learns how to operate a car from a friend and picks up the rest as they go along.

3 hours ago, gmac said:

So we have a law enacted in 1979 (almost 40 years ago) setting expressway limits at 80kph in Bangkok and 90kph outside and yet when I drive on the expressway from Pattaya to Bangkok I see large numbers of static signs posting the limit of 120kph.  The orange LED signs quote the 80 or 90  but if the limits are truly at that level and have been there for 40 years isn't it about time they took the 120 signs down?

Indeed....  I have a speeding ticket from the same Expressway... 

It states that the speed limit is 120kmh on the ticket !!!!.... so this article of increasing the speed limits from 80kmh seems incredibly odd & those orange LED signs are just downright confusing... 

Archived