Revealed: the special button that allows bent taxi drivers to rip off customers

webfact

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

This only happens in tourist destinations. I've never experienced this behaviour that you describe.

Thailand is a tourist destination. If you have never experenced what I an alluding to... read the bews. Do not know what rock you have been hiding under But try getting out a bit more “to the tourist destinations” 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had this scam happen to me last week from airport long term parking to sukhumvit.

stopped at traffic lights near car park and the meter was ticking over rapidly. 

Went 3km whilst stationary. 

When I brought it to the good mans attention via talking to my wife on the phone and him hearing me tell her his taxi number and name, the meter turned off and all I had to pay the kind gent was the toll.

another scam at airport is the metre running when you get i the taxi.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I used to go a regular route to Sukhumvit over 5 years years ago. The price was always around 100-110 baht. One day I noticed the meter flying up - the amount was over 200 baht. I told the taxi driver that his meter was rigged and I'm just paying 100 baht. He didn't say a word. Just took the money and I got out. 

I guess tourists wouldn't have a clue. 

Brave but ! A farang got stabbed by a taxi driver for not paying a few hundred baht meter fee . He later died in the hospital

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I used to go a regular route to Sukhumvit over 5 years years ago. The price was always around 100-110 baht. One day I noticed the meter flying up - the amount was over 200 baht. I told the taxi driver that his meter was rigged and I'm just paying 100 baht. He didn't say a word. Just took the money and I got out. 

Yeah...just got out........????????????

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:
4 hours ago, NaaKap said:

LOS = Land of scans. I predicted this 5 years ago as the tourists refuse to return after being dual priced, scammed, robbed, ripped off. Spiked drinks. With rats and filth everywhere (and that is just the pepole) The me me me me attitude would kill the tourism trade and the desperation would set in with the scams and ripoffs becoming more blatant as Thais fight amongst themselves for the few bhat they an steal from unsuspecting tourists. Watch the next two or three years as the place turns into a battleground. 

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

This only happens in tourist destinations. I've never experienced this behaviour that you describe.

This only happens in tourist destinations - WORLDWIDE!

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Same thing happened to me one time. The meter was going up way faster than it should have for the same trip. I called him out on it and he caved immediately, I paid what I normally paid for the same trip and he didn't say a word. rkidlad is correct, a tourist wouldn't have a clue. I'm sure he just wanted to get rid of me and hope I didn't report him.

5 hours ago, NaaKap said:

LOS = Land of scans. I predicted this 5 years ago as the tourists refuse to return after being dual priced, scammed, robbed, ripped off. Spiked drinks. With rats and filth everywhere (and that is just the pepole) The me me me me attitude would kill the tourism trade and the desperation would set in with the scams and ripoffs becoming more blatant as Thais fight amongst themselves for the few bhat they an steal from unsuspecting tourists. Watch the next two or three years as the place turns into a battleground. 

I think you mean LOS = Land of Scams

But I could be wrong ????

Another disgusting attitude that will be a great promotionnal campaign for tourism. Instead of hunting down illegal cooks and cleaners, the Thai police should rather focus on it's own citizens who are cheating, giving a disastrous image of the country and leed it to it's doom.

4 hours ago, JimP said:

In the age of GRAB, there is no reason to be even taking a slimy Thai taxi driver. 

1. Buy a smart phone
  2. download the Grab Application
  3.  Say goodbye to these vermin who weave around the city like cockroaches. 

Instead of rude <deleted>, with Grab you get a polite driver who greets you, a fare that is non-negotiable, and no faffing with meters or destinations.  GET GRAB and <deleted> the taxi drivers and 'motocy' drivers.  My life improved tremendously once I learned how to use GRAB. Try it. You won't regret it.

Problem with grab and similar is that with the Thai traffic and insufficient numbers of Grabs, wait times will often be long 

Taxis, on the other hand, are plentiful 

35 minutes ago, brling said:

If you had any problems with cabs, then you would blame the farangs as usual. No Thai would ever scam Mr wannabee Thai.

Another dude who has had his heart broken by a Thai girl ????????????????????

PS: its rare, if even that,  that I get scammed by anyone Thai or not. ????

Well there was that Romanian girl at an FKK who insisted she was Italian....

Archived