Carryboy on a new Hilux

Peter Aherne

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice here. I'm buying a new Hilux and thinking of using finance over 24 months. I want to add a carryboy as soon as I get it but am curious about how this would work as technically the car will be owned by finance for the first 2 years and whether or not that would cause a problem also with getting the white plates. I believe there may be some issues with "changing" the vehicle from a registration point of view.

Also, on the white plates. I understand that there are restrictions on the red plates, 2 in particular:

1) 6am-6pm: I believe the only was around this is through some sort of official stamp?

2) Within region (Bangkok): This I understand is avoidable simply by filling out a log book in advance? I've heard differing stories, limits of only 3 days out of region etc so interested in the real story.

Also interested in anecdotal stories about travelling on red plates but especially interested in knowing the "real" rules. 

Check and verify with insurance when the hood is fitted as they may wish to have pictures of the vehicle changes, no trouble in fitting it though as far as I understand

The book should be provided by the dealer and you fill it out before the journey, I got fined for not filling it out (wasn't even aware of it to be fair and nobody told me)

The red plates at night doesn't seem to be a concern as far as I can see, such a minor that the police don't seem to bother at all. Maybe different in the cities?.....

Having said that it is coming up to roadblock time for the holidays and new year, so better to have the real details from someone here...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

"I believe there may be some issues with "changing" the vehicle from a registration point of view."

Yes but you can do the paperwork after the carryboy is fitted. Carryboy will give you a document and a receipt and you just go to the raod licensing dept to change the blue book (they put a small stamp in it to note the change).

If you car requires an MOT then the MOT sevices now cannot do the MOT unless the blue book has the stamp that notes the carryboy has been fitted.

Its super easy to do - just requires you to go to nearest road licensing department to do it. I did it on the sukhumvit 57 one - took about 30 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

The finance company holds on to the blue book, get the carry boy from the Toyota dealer before the registration, or you'll have to send updates proofs etc to the finance to have them update the blue book, or some would let you 'request' the blue book temporarily for the purpose to get it updated

Or you can take the necessary documents at go to the land transport dept. with a photocopy of the blue book that that Finance company had given you and you'd be legal and the blue book can be updated later 

Archived