BANGKOK 25 April 2019 13:36
bbi1

Smog in Pattaya

I live on the Darkside. Just outside the city limits in Nongprue. It's a beautiful clear day here with no sign of smog. Sat outside and the only thing that I can smell are the fragrances from the flowers in my garden. Heaven.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I live on the Darkside. Just outside the city limits in Nongprue. It's a beautiful clear day here with no sign of smog. Sat outside and the only thing that I can smell are the fragrances from the flowers in my garden. Heaven.

Do you live high up in the sky in a condo building? If not you don't see the smog. From street level  everything always looks fine. When you are up high and can see all the smog and can't see the islands from Pattaya City centre then you know there's something not good about it. Then when you look at the air quality website it confirms it: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chonburi/general-education-office/

Just now, bbi1 said:

Do you live high up in the sky in a condo building? If not you don't see the smog. From street level  everything always looks fine. When you are up high and can see all the smog and can't see the islands from Pattaya City centre then you know there's something not good about it. Then when you look at the air quality website it confirms it: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chonburi/general-education-office/

I have suffered from asthma for most of my life. I'd know if the air quality was poor. never had to use my inhaler here.

What you're probably seeing is heat haze from the sea.

13 hours ago, Spidey said:

Pollution is not necessarily visible, however a glorious sunset is a sign of particles in the air.

• Like 1

How long did it take for delivery ?
Can't recall exactly how long but not too long maybe a week.

Better late than never, the AQI meter finally arrived, in darkside, middle of a moobaan with direct sea breeze coming in:

1378863045_aqi(Small).JPEG.4ae294cb625604fb9e48e348704bbd13.JPEG

Pardon the crappy photo, hard to take in sunshine. Looks like they turned off all the evil, evil diesels cars and all is good now. Until the next diesel car burning season in Cambodia starts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Looks like they turned off all the evil, evil diesels cars and all is good now. Until the next diesel car burning season in Cambodia starts.

Your device and johng's are using a different AQI scale to the one commonly used in English media. I guess it is the Chinese AQI scale. 

On the more commonly used scale, the "good" area goes up to 12mcg/m3 of PM2.5 and that's a 50 on that scale. Compare that to your readings. 

I would be happy to have your little detector, you just need to keep this in mind. 

Edited by John Singer

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, John Singer said:

Your device and johng's are using a different AQI scale to the one commonly used in English media. I guess it is the Chinese AQI scale. 

On the more commonly used scale, the "good" area goes up to 12mcg/m3 of PM2.5 and that's a 50 on that scale. Compare that to your readings. 

I would be happy to have your little detector, you just need to keep this in mind. 

Seems to be the same as US system: https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=aqibasics.aqi

Anyway, seems to be getting worse as the sun goes down, usually the wind turn at 6pm and now it's:

815441545_1551789806915(Small).JPEG.81650b18901b64a5427e79f5ecc380c8.JPEG

Might be one of those ignorance is bliss things. I also tried it inside where I run the AC and it was 20-ish in the morning. Worth noting the closest road with any traffic is about 200m from me and I'm at about 60m elevation from the sea level. Anybody got a reading down there at the heart of sin city?

Edited by DrTuner

My readings from deepest darkest
Na-Jomtien this evening.

P_20190305_195915.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

My readings from deepest darkest
Na-Jomtien this evening.

Very close to mine. At least these things aren't showing random numbers then.