Jump to content
BANGKOK 25 April 2019 13:36
bbi1

Smog in Pattaya

Recommended Posts

I live on the Darkside. Just outside the city limits in Nongprue. It's a beautiful clear day here with no sign of smog. Sat outside and the only thing that I can smell are the fragrances from the flowers in my garden. Heaven.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I live on the Darkside. Just outside the city limits in Nongprue. It's a beautiful clear day here with no sign of smog. Sat outside and the only thing that I can smell are the fragrances from the flowers in my garden. Heaven.

Do you live high up in the sky in a condo building? If not you don't see the smog. From street level  everything always looks fine. When you are up high and can see all the smog and can't see the islands from Pattaya City centre then you know there's something not good about it. Then when you look at the air quality website it confirms it: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chonburi/general-education-office/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bbi1 said:

Do you live high up in the sky in a condo building? If not you don't see the smog. From street level  everything always looks fine. When you are up high and can see all the smog and can't see the islands from Pattaya City centre then you know there's something not good about it. Then when you look at the air quality website it confirms it: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chonburi/general-education-office/

I have suffered from asthma for most of my life. I'd know if the air quality was poor. never had to use my inhaler here.

 

What you're probably seeing is heat haze from the sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Spidey said:

I live on the Darkside. Just outside the city limits in Nongprue. It's a beautiful clear day here with no sign of smog. Sat outside and the only thing that I can smell are the fragrances from the flowers in my garden. Heaven.

Pollution is not necessarily visible, however a glorious sunset is a sign of particles in the air.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How long did it take for delivery ?
Can't recall exactly how long but not too long maybe a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better late than never, the AQI meter finally arrived, in darkside, middle of a moobaan with direct sea breeze coming in:

 

1378863045_aqi(Small).JPEG.4ae294cb625604fb9e48e348704bbd13.JPEG

 

Pardon the crappy photo, hard to take in sunshine. Looks like they turned off all the evil, evil diesels cars and all is good now. Until the next diesel car burning season in Cambodia starts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Looks like they turned off all the evil, evil diesels cars and all is good now. Until the next diesel car burning season in Cambodia starts.

Your device and johng's are using a different AQI scale to the one commonly used in English media. I guess it is the Chinese AQI scale. 

On the more commonly used scale, the "good" area goes up to 12mcg/m3 of PM2.5 and that's a 50 on that scale. Compare that to your readings. 

I would be happy to have your little detector, you just need to keep this in mind. 

Edited by John Singer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, John Singer said:

Your device and johng's are using a different AQI scale to the one commonly used in English media. I guess it is the Chinese AQI scale. 

On the more commonly used scale, the "good" area goes up to 12mcg/m3 of PM2.5 and that's a 50 on that scale. Compare that to your readings. 

I would be happy to have your little detector, you just need to keep this in mind. 

Seems to be the same as US system: https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=aqibasics.aqi

 

Anyway, seems to be getting worse as the sun goes down, usually the wind turn at 6pm and now it's:

815441545_1551789806915(Small).JPEG.81650b18901b64a5427e79f5ecc380c8.JPEG

 

Might be one of those ignorance is bliss things. I also tried it inside where I run the AC and it was 20-ish in the morning. Worth noting the closest road with any traffic is about 200m from me and I'm at about 60m elevation from the sea level. Anybody got a reading down there at the heart of sin city?

Edited by DrTuner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My readings from deepest darkest
Na-Jomtien this evening.

P_20190305_195915.jpeg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johng said:

My readings from deepest darkest
Na-Jomtien this evening.

Very close to mine. At least these things aren't showing random numbers then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...