Smog in Pattaya

bbi1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any recommendations on where to buy these? Do you install these yourself or need to hire an aircon technician to install them?
Make sure you buy one with the right set of filters for smog and exhaust pollution

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

On 12/21/2018 at 1:54 PM, bbi1 said:

Any recommendations on where to buy these? Do you install these yourself or need to hire an aircon technician to install them?

You want to make sure the air purifier unit you buy as a true HEPA filter, which means it can filter out particles down to a size of 0.3 microns. Here in Thailand, local models are made by Hatari, Sharp, Toshiba and others. One of the advantages of the Hatari model is that it's replacement filters are readily available, either directly thru Hatari or thru some retailers.

IME, the Sharp and Toshiba purifiers also are fine, but getting replacement filters for them is a struggle, as here, typically, most of the stores that sell purifiers don't also sell replacement filters, and instead will refer you to the manufacturer or some 3rd party. IMHO, that's a very bad way of doing business, but that's the way they do it here in Thailand.

As for the units themselves, they're basically plug and play. The only thing you typically have to do is insert the filter or filters that come with the unit, plug it into a regular electric outlet and turn it on.  As noted, the HEPA filter typically is going to last 6 months to a year, depending on how much usage and how polluted the environment is.

One final note - some units come with so-called "ionizer" functions, which really is NOT a good thing as those have the potential to create ozone which is a pollutant itself and respiratory irritant. So you'd want a model that either a) doesn't have any ionizer function, or b] has the ability for that function to be switched off while still running the unit.

The units also come in different size capacities, related to the size in square meters of a room that they're capable of filtering the air for. So, know in advance where you intend to use the unit, how large the area is in square meters, and then choose an air purifier unit that's sized to accommodate that size room.

Again, the free-standing “air conditioners” you fill with water (evaporative cooler) are actually about the best particulate filter you can get:

1. The wet filters are self-cleaning and last for years.

2. They filter a much larger volume of air.

3. They humidify dry, air-conditioned air.

4. They increase the cooling capacity of your air-conditioner.

5. The particulate matter collects in the bottom of the water tank for easy disposal.

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

Again, the free-standing “air conditioners” you fill with water (evaporative cooler) are actually about the particulate filter you can get:

1. The wet filters are self-cleaning and last for years
2. They filter a much larger volume of air
3. The humidify dry, air-conditioned air
4. They increase the cooling capacity of your air-conditioner
5. The particulate matter collects in the bottom of the water tank.

I've never read or seen anything that says those kinds of coolers are effective at eliminating/reducing PM2.5. Nor have I ever seen anywhere authoritative recommend them for that purpose.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:00 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Just checked the AQI for Laem Chabang, the closest station to Pattaya. At 0900 it was 160 (Unhealthy) for the PM2.5 category. Not good. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 11.59.51 AM.png

BTW, I was reminded of something this morning and posted on it in another related thread...

The Thailand PCD AQI scale is very different than the U.S. EPA AQI scale used by the AQI.cn website for its data, including its Thailand AQI numbers.  So the AQI values, color codes and the air quality descriptive ratings may be different for Thai PCD data vs AQI.cn -- even though the underlying PM2.5 micrograms values will be the same.

In other words, you can't compare the AQI data from the Thai PCD with than from AQI.cn.... Totally different AQI scales for the same pollution levels.

On the Thai AQI scale, you don't reach the beginning of the "unhealthy" category until you hit a micrograms reading of 51. Below that is called "moderate" / yellow.

On the U.S. AQI scale, you reach the beginning of the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" category with a micrograms reading of 35.5. Below that is called "moderate" / yellow.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1021518-bangkok-air-pollution/?do=findComment&comment=13674356

24 minutes ago, johng said:

They would have a huge electricity bill emoji39.png

This was similar to my solution to global warming.

There must be half a billion people on the planet with aircon.

If, at the same time, everyone wound it down to 20degC for 30 mins then opened their windows......surely knock off a degree or two?

40 minutes ago, grollies said:

surely knock off a degree or two?

????   no because it takes more energy/heat to cool the air that's released

(only works in enclosed spaces)

what could work is a  big volcano spewing out lots of stuff to block the sun,

or a  good old "thermonuclear winter" 

or  as recently suggested a big (very big)  sun shade in outer space.

or we could plant lots more trees and (quite drastically )reduce the human population.

I live on the Darkside and am unaware of this phenomenon. Either it's unique to the areas on the coast or it's due to the heavier more dirty traffic in Pattaya. Either way, I've been asthmatic for most of my life and have never needed my inhaler here on the Darkside.

• 2 weeks later...

It's back to it's worst today , just look out of your window, the smog is everywhere. If you don't have a lot of things to do outside , maybe better to just stay home. 

From my balcony I measured 151 or 200 AQI about 1 hour ago.   My pollution meter is flashing red like crazy. 

Take care and wear a pollution mask . 

Capture.JPG.a472be71fd7530fdfc90228b427d233a.JPG

It's back to it's worst today , just look out of your window, the smog is everywhere. If you don't have a lot of things to do outside , maybe better to just stay home. 

From my balcony I measured 151 or 200 AQI about 1 hour ago.   My pollution meter is flashing red like crazy. 
Take care and wear a pollution mask . 

Capture.JPG.a472be71fd7530fdfc90228b427d233a.JPG

Turn it off

6 hours ago, JayBird said:

What monitor do you all recommend.

I was recommended the SNDWAY 825 monitor by another poster in the Bangkok forum , John in Bangkok . 

It's very precise and the same type they use at official AQI stations in China. 

The price is not too bad , around 1500 baht on Lazada. 

41ztRthtAFL._SX342_.jpg

Yes it's the same one , Lazada is maybe a few baht more expensive than Ali Express, but you'll get it from Bangkok in a couple of days instead of waiting for a package from China.  Also you can ask for COD (Cash on Delivery). 

This is the link to the Bangkok seller. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sndway-pm-25-detector-sensor-i235439672-s361195325.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistbrand.list.1.521968a9frwtPA&search=1

Yesterday and today the smog here is really bad again. Can see a grey haze everywhere and from 2nd Rd around Royal Garden Plaza you can hardly see the hill where the Pattaya sign it and can't see Koh Larn or any of the other islands before it either.

I don't know if he was taking the proverbial (I hope so....) but sometime early last week, or end of the previous one, I heard Tommy Dee on 103FM in the morning saying that it was not smog but early morning mist or something.........????

Archived