Smog in Pattaya

bbi1

Agreed visibility at my place hasn't improved much if at all   but PM 2.5 is down to about 60 indoors now ( according to my  un-calibrated and unknown accuracy measuring stick )

+ I'm a bit  south of Pattaya (proper) in the "sticks" of  Na-Jomtien ????

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattaya is East or Northeast of the biggest industries in Thailand - in Rayong it is petro-chemicals/plastics and aromatics - at present the Northeasterly winds prevail so any pollution - and there is a lot! - gets wafted over to places like Pattaya and all points in between.

1 hour ago, wilcopops said:

Pattaya is East or Northeast of the biggest industries in Thailand - in Rayong it is petro-chemicals/plastics and aromatics - at present the Northeasterly winds prevail so any pollution - and there is a lot! - gets wafted over to places like Pattaya and all points in between.

And mix in the substantial pollution from the extremely heavy traffic running day and night. I stand in befuddled amazement on Central Road sometimes and wonder where all the vehicles are going. Where did they come from? What are they doing? Why is there bumper to bumper traffic all day long for such a small city?  

17 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Where did they come from?

Friday evening to Sunday evening they come from Bangkok..they seem to like to drive around stuck in traffic like they do in BKK...its got worse and worse since "the great BKK flood"

a few years ago

17 minutes ago, johng said:

Friday evening to Sunday evening they come from Bangkok..they seem to like to drive around stuck in traffic like they do in BKK...its got worse and worse since "the great BKK flood"

a few years ago

It's a bit less now than it was in it's hayday when Central opened. That time it truly was "BKK by the sea". Still, the traffic is bad any given weekend.

They seem to be heading more south now and with the new road will likely bypass Pattaya altogether. Can't wait.

17 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They seem to be heading more south now and with the new road will likely bypass Pattaya altogether. Can't wait.

Yes I agree the traffic on Sukhumvit  heading towards Sathahip has increased massively too,

the new  motorway should help dump them out just south of my place at Bahn Amphur or they can carry on going (hopefully)  to U-tapoa or Sathahip.

The pollution in Pattaya tends to be particularly bad during the high season when most visitors come to Thailand.  However, maybe it is not such a big issue for the Chinese or those with limited choice?  I would think most westerners with disposable income levels would consider other destinations where their health would not be affected by the pollution?

My Thai girlfriend assures me that all the pollution in Thailand is a result of extraordinary volcanic activity in Indonesia and it is volcanic ash blown over here from over there that is causing the problem. So now you know.

1 hour ago, champers said:

My Thai girlfriend assures me that all the pollution in Thailand is a result of extraordinary volcanic activity in Indonesia and it is volcanic ash blown over here from over there that is causing the problem. So now you know.

Thanks for the laughs lol

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Thick again this morning. The view from my condo is very unpleasant and does not encourage me to go out.

Much better now , it helps with a light breeze.   

34 (97 AQI)  not bad after the last few days. 

56 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Not sure if he meant filtrete or xioami air purifier, in case of xiaomi and pretty much anything in Thailand, again lazada: https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=xiaomi+air+purifier&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o6z.10453683.search.go.548064a8zKSrch

Most of the time if I'm not in a hurry I won't even bother looking anywhere but in lazada. Ordered that air quality meter from there too, now waiting delivery from China: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/fcu-28-pm25-air-air-i265672400-s413457929.html (There are more sellers for the same if out of stock).

My relocation reasons keep piling up year on year...........

IMHO I doubt if these locals have the mindset to ever ever reduce this pollution.   

Funny I always thought I'd go home with some exotic decease... not a  respiratory decease.

Received this from my medical insurance company.

air 1.jpg

Air2.jpg

Air 3.jpg

My relocation reasons keep piling up year on year...........
IMHO I doubt if these locals have the mindset to ever ever reduce this pollution.   
Funny I always thought I'd go home with some exotic decease... not a  respiratory decease.
Received this from my medical insurance company.

537993470_air1.jpg.eba444baaf50258701ddff63e0958b84.jpg
Air2.jpg.044afc2a38948ede4b4b54e8f16b0b8e.jpg
1430729210_Air3.jpg.723fae71898cc99f68a6d4f8883e08d1.jpg
Does your insurance cover you for pollution related illness?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

What about Pattaya dark side, what are the pollution levels there?

I'll tell you once my meter arrives sometime next week. I can see from my balcony to Pattaya Park and the new Riviera condos, it seems the smog lingers a lot more on the bright side of Suk. Can almost see the edges of the cloud. Probably has to do with the elevation of Khao Talo.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:38 AM, JayBird said:

Does your insurance cover you for pollution related illness?

Good question. Can look forward compulsory insurance in the future as a requirement of visa extensions, in tandem with an industry wide exclusion of cover for anything relating to 2.5 particulate matter over a certain level ????

Archived