Smog in Pattaya

bbi1

why complain?  everyone knows there is pollution, but everyone still comes.

not complain after you already know there is pollution?

get some beers, girls, cigarettes, and 10,000 baht..... and remember why you came.    soon people will complain because they everything isn't in English........

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naw mate you're not correct, many who have been in the same house in the same area for many years and can see and smell the escalation of pollution over the years.

Almost all the houses in my country area used to have orange roof tiles, and like mine after a dozen years, they are now black.

Fortunately, today we are now getting that northern wind which is both cooling and refreshing

On 1/24/2019 at 7:43 AM, johnnybgood said:

My relocation reasons keep piling up year on year...........

IMHO I doubt if these locals have the mindset to ever ever reduce this pollution.   

Funny I always thought I'd go home with some exotic decease... not a  respiratory decease.

Received this from my medical insurance company.

Its odd. All the other reasons which others cite, I have happily brushed aside as minor irritations at worst, but this one might turn out to be a game changer.

16 hours ago, johnnybgood said:

Naw mate you're not correct, many who have been in the same house in the same area for many years and can see and smell the escalation of pollution over the years.

Almost all the houses in my country area used to have orange roof tiles, and like mine after a dozen years, they are now black.

Fortunately, today we are now getting that northern wind which is both cooling and refreshing

I live in East Pattaya. All the roof tiles are still orange. My asthma (a lifelong condition) has not returned. I see no smog.

I would guess that the Eastern Economic Corridor developments over the next 10 years will add to the pollution volume and its deteriorating effects on the environment. Which could mean Pattaya will have few if any of the advantages of a seaside resort and all of the downsides of industrial activities. A new Chinese outpost? Remember Sihanoukville. RIP. 

why complain?  everyone knows there is pollution, but everyone still comes.

not complain after you already know there is pollution?

get some beers, girls, cigarettes, and 10,000 baht..... and remember why you came.    soon people will complain because they everything isn't in English........
I don't drink or smoke.
My gf would object to me getting girls.
She also took my 10k.

But she brought me food. So all is good

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

As typical, the wind changed direction before I got my AQI meter.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-261.93,12.36,3000

wind.JPG.75e758c6368494086d68d88fef4ca424.JPG

And magically the smog disappeared, I guess they don't have diesel cars on the sea (nor half a million burning fields, which is not the official truth so must not be spoken of).

Today the air pollution is very bad again. Can't see any of the Ilands from my balcony and can smell the pollution as soon as opening the balcony door.

I'm curious to know, how many people here are wearing N95 masks every day or most days? If so, do you sometimes get some stupid smartass comments from uneducated Thai people (usually workers of some shop or motorcycle taxi) when you walk past like "this is not BKK" and they speak it in Thai?

I live on the Darkside. Just outside the city limits in Nongprue. It's a beautiful clear day here with no sign of smog. Sat outside and the only thing that I can smell are the fragrances from the flowers in my garden. Heaven.

39 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I live on the Darkside. Just outside the city limits in Nongprue. It's a beautiful clear day here with no sign of smog. Sat outside and the only thing that I can smell are the fragrances from the flowers in my garden. Heaven.

Do you live high up in the sky in a condo building? If not you don't see the smog. From street level  everything always looks fine. When you are up high and can see all the smog and can't see the islands from Pattaya City centre then you know there's something not good about it. Then when you look at the air quality website it confirms it: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chonburi/general-education-office/

Just now, bbi1 said:

Do you live high up in the sky in a condo building? If not you don't see the smog. From street level  everything always looks fine. When you are up high and can see all the smog and can't see the islands from Pattaya City centre then you know there's something not good about it. Then when you look at the air quality website it confirms it: http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chonburi/general-education-office/

I have suffered from asthma for most of my life. I'd know if the air quality was poor. never had to use my inhaler here.

What you're probably seeing is heat haze from the sea.

13 hours ago, Spidey said:

Pollution is not necessarily visible, however a glorious sunset is a sign of particles in the air.

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never, the AQI meter finally arrived, in darkside, middle of a moobaan with direct sea breeze coming in:

1378863045_aqi(Small).JPEG.4ae294cb625604fb9e48e348704bbd13.JPEG

Pardon the crappy photo, hard to take in sunshine. Looks like they turned off all the evil, evil diesels cars and all is good now. Until the next diesel car burning season in Cambodia starts.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Looks like they turned off all the evil, evil diesels cars and all is good now. Until the next diesel car burning season in Cambodia starts.

Your device and johng's are using a different AQI scale to the one commonly used in English media. I guess it is the Chinese AQI scale. 

On the more commonly used scale, the "good" area goes up to 12mcg/m3 of PM2.5 and that's a 50 on that scale. Compare that to your readings. 

I would be happy to have your little detector, you just need to keep this in mind. 

41 minutes ago, John Singer said:

Your device and johng's are using a different AQI scale to the one commonly used in English media. I guess it is the Chinese AQI scale. 

On the more commonly used scale, the "good" area goes up to 12mcg/m3 of PM2.5 and that's a 50 on that scale. Compare that to your readings. 

I would be happy to have your little detector, you just need to keep this in mind. 

Seems to be the same as US system: https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=aqibasics.aqi

Anyway, seems to be getting worse as the sun goes down, usually the wind turn at 6pm and now it's:

815441545_1551789806915(Small).JPEG.81650b18901b64a5427e79f5ecc380c8.JPEG

Might be one of those ignorance is bliss things. I also tried it inside where I run the AC and it was 20-ish in the morning. Worth noting the closest road with any traffic is about 200m from me and I'm at about 60m elevation from the sea level. Anybody got a reading down there at the heart of sin city?

• 8 months later...

Archived