Why are you making us study English at a Thai university? complain students

webfact

It's not that long ago that Cambridge University dropped a foreign language, Latin, as an entry requirement.  If Cambridge could reason that knowing a foreign language is unnecessary to study at university, I don't see why a Thai university shouldn't come to a similar conclusion.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Oxx said:

It's not that long ago that Cambridge University dropped a foreign language, Latin, as an entry requirement.  If Cambridge could reason that knowing a foreign language is unnecessary to study at university, I don't see why a Thai university shouldn't come to a similar conclusion.

Actually Latin is a "classical" language and not a "foreign" one-as no state uses it for it's first language-even tho' the "romance" languages uses it as a historocal basis of their language.

Therefore your post should be amended to read..

"Because the long dead ancient Romans couldn't be bothered to learn English I maintain that the Thai shouldn't have to do so in the 21st century"

And there you have it - an instant encapsulation of the moronic isolationism and belief that they know it all in the Thai mindset.  

There couldn't be a better display of the inherent laziness and lack of interest in anything that might tax their small closed minds.  

No wonder there's a Thai saying of 'Khit mahk mai dee' - 'think too much no good'.  

And they say they are a 'developing country'.  In their dreams.

Sorry for the rant, but this sort of uncaring for anything attitude really grinds my gears.  

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Actually Latin is a "classical" language and not a "foreign" one-as no state uses it for it's first language-even tho' the "romance" languages uses it as a historocal basis of their language.

Therefore your post should be amended to read..

"Because the long dead ancient Romans couldn't be bothered to learn English I maintain that the Thai shouldn't have to do so in the 21st century"

Well, if that isn't the worst case of twisted, tortured 'logic' and reaching the totally wrong conclusion, I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Actually Latin is a "classical" language and not a "foreign" one-as no state uses it for it's first language

Incorrect.  You're forgetting the Vatican City State.

In any case, that doesn't alter the logic that for most subjects taught in Cambridge knowledge of Latin is an irrelevance.  Similarly, knowledge of English is irrelevant to learning many subjects in Thai universities (at least at an undergraduate level).

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

In any case, that doesn't alter the logic that for most subjects taught in Cambridge knowledge of Latin is an irrelevance.  Similarly, knowledge of English is irrelevant to learning many subjects in Thai universities (at least at an undergraduate level).

Can not agree with your mindset at all,maybe because you already speak English?

English is the number one language in the business world and on the internet.!!!

If you want to do anything internationally English is a must!!

Thai people who have traveled around know this.

Imo if you think learning the English language is useless you are far from being smart.

16 minutes ago, Oxx said:

You are entirely incorrect about the vatican.

"The Vatican Constitution has established no official language. However, in accordance with paragraph 2 of the Legge sulle fonti del diritto ("Law on the sources of law") of 7 June 1929, it promulgates its laws and regulations by publishing them in the Italian-language Supplemento per le leggi e disposizioni dello Stato della Città del Vaticano attached to the Acta Apostolicae Sedis.[1] On its official website Vatican City uses English, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Latin, Portuguese, and Arabic, which are found on the official website of the Holy See."

Which just about sums up just as to why Thai students should learn English.

By the way two major mistakes in two posts is not so bad for ardent defenders of the shambolic Thai eduction system...

19 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

You are entirely incorrect about the vatican.

"The Vatican Constitution has established no official language. However, in accordance with paragraph 2 of the Legge sulle fonti del diritto ("Law on the sources of law") of 7 June 1929, it promulgates its laws and regulations by publishing them in the Italian-language Supplemento per le leggi e disposizioni dello Stato della Città del Vaticano attached to the Acta Apostolicae Sedis.[1] On its official website Vatican City uses English, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Latin, Portuguese, and Arabic, which are found on the official website of the Holy See."

Which just about sums up just as to why Thai students should learn English.

By the way two major mistakes in two posts is not so bad for ardent defenders of the shambolic Thai eduction system...

Ouch ????

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Similarly, knowledge of English is irrelevant to learning many subjects in Thai universities (at least at an undergraduate level).

Irrelevant?  Really?  

So it's irrelevant for engineering?  Pharmaceuticals?  Computers and IT services?  Aeronautics?  Medicine?  International finance? And all the other areas where English is the primary language? 

Get real, it's obvious you have no notion at all.  And it's especially useful at undergraduate level because that;'s the level where students start so they get a good grounding.  

Anyone who says that learning English in Thailand is unnecessary for third tier study has their head so far up their fundamental orifice that they won't see daylight for a month.  

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Irrelevant?  Really?  

Anyone who says that learning English in Thailand is unnecessary for third tier study has their head so far up their fundamental orifice that they won't see daylight for a month.  

If it's so important, why could I do a degree in France without speaking English? Or in Germany without speaking English? Or Spain? Or Japan? Or pretty much any non-English speaking country.  It's an arrogant, Anglo-centric view that suggests that English is the only language that is sufficiently expressive language to express academic concepts.

6 minutes ago, Oxx said:

If it's so important, why could I do a degree in France without speaking English? Or in Germany without speaking English? Or Spain? Or Japan? Or pretty much any non-English speaking country.  It's an arrogant, Anglo-centric view that suggests that English is the only language that is sufficiently expressive language to express academic concepts.

Absolutely right, it's not as if all those EU leaders and central bankers speak English among themselves. Oh, wait, ...

On 12/21/2018 at 9:11 AM, Curt1591 said:

The test is a good way to gauge whether they have paid attention for their prior 12+ years, whether they should waste their money on courses they will simply work to pass, without actually learning anything.

What I say ...
They are even lucky that English is the language of technology;
It is a very easy language if we compare it to the French or Hungarian language ... 

On 12/26/2018 at 12:13 AM, sammydavis said:

maybe if they had physical education and play more sport their brains might start working and they wouldn't be so fat on rice

They should already have a brain capable of understanding something other than the <deleted> distilled on facebook or Line

On 12/27/2018 at 10:57 PM, Enki said:

Engineers in Germany speak: german.

Engineers in France speak: french.

Engineers in Spain speak: spanish.

Engineers in Japan speak: japanese.

But

when a german engineer meet a french one , they speak in english 

when a japanese one meet a spain one , they speak in english ...

34 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Of course you can do a degree in France without speaking English, but that's not what we are talking about, which seems to have whooshed over your head.

We are talking of Thais learning a language where the vocabulary and nomenclature of almost anything they learn is all in English.  OK, it may well be that these kids can speak a bastardised form of the language understandable only amongst themselves in the workplace, but it's the 'I don't care, I'm special because I'm Thai' attitude that continues to fuel their mediocrity.  That's the point.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:25 PM, balo said:

I worked in Greece for an international company, everyone had to speak English , not Greek. 

Germans, French , Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish people, they all spoke English.  

So yes, English IS the universal language. 

When I was in Slavutich ( Ukrainia ) where international engineers  working on Chernobyl place are living ; there were engineers from France, England, Italy and other countries in Europe;

every body was speaking in english, the international language ;

In july 2002 I was in Beijing and met many people from different countries all over the world;

our language was english .

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

Latin is a dead language; the example is therefore not good.
On the other hand if Latin is compulsory to enter this University it is because many subjects relate to the period of History where the Latin was a living language;
maybe even ancient greek is a plus and gives extra points.

My dad, when he was studying to become an engineer, had in optional languages Latin and Ancient Greek which are two dead languages but essential languages if we want to understand the meaning, the ethimology of our current languages

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Thai people who have traveled around know this.

It is also surprising the number of Thai truckers who speak a relatively good English because they have been working in the Middle East where English is not the main language but the language of conversation between people of different nationalities. .

21 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

We are talking of Thais learning a language where the vocabulary and nomenclature of almost anything they learn is all in English.

The funny thing is that a large part of the Thai dictionary is from English written in Thai;
look at how Thai people write for " gratis " , in thai : ฟรี  how do you pronounce it?

like the same word in English :cheesy:

and so many other words that don't exist in the Thai language;
they didn't even bother to find out if it's possible to translate the word;
no, they take it and write it in Thai ...

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

have blown air into this one year old thread.

We have seen worse ..
I'm waiting for you to get us out of mothballs a post several years old ... 

It is only those who do not post much that are unlikely to be wrong;
and then these very dear students of technology must have been obliged to take a few additional English language courses if they wanted to enroll in this University.
If one of them is a member here, let them make themselves known :cheesy:

I wonder if they are just given a list of 550 words and asked to memorize them. Sure, learning vocabulary is important but if it's not presented in the context of actual communication, it's not of much use. From what I've seen here (I've taught in several Thai govt. schools), most of the education related to foreign languages is rote learning with little focus placed on helping the students actually use the language to communicate. So, after 13 years of this, the kids are bored out of their minds and don't see any point in it. And, very few will be able to communicate in the language beyond an extremely basic level.

Some posters and many other people, seem to take exception that the students in the OP are being required (at least on paper) to learn English as it smacks of imperialism and Anglo-exceptionalism. I would say those feelings are justified to a certain extent. I think, however, that focusing on that aspect can also lead one to miss the more important point; that learning foreign languages is very useful in many professions and on a personal level. The wide use of English makes it quite prominent, but the same case could be made for studying other languages as well. I think if foreign residents of Thailand really learned Thai, their experience here would be much better overall.

It's a shame because most humans have the capacity to learn multiple languages. People shouldn't be forced to, but their study should be encouraged. That goes for the native English speakers as well!

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

The funny thing is that a large part of the Thai dictionary is from English written in Thai;
look at how Thai people write for " gratis " , in thai : ฟรี  how do you pronounce it?

like the same word in English :cheesy:

and so many other words that don't exist in the Thai language;
they didn't even bother to find out if it's possible to translate the word;
no, they take it and write it in Thai ...

No-one in the UK would ever say gratis apart from in exceptional circumstances.

Looks to me like your translating app is at fault there, because of course gratis means free.

Archived