Why are you making us study English at a Thai university? complain students

webfact

11 minutes ago, ubon farang said:

Unfortunately, Thailand has all these students running around with degrees and no jobs for them. The boyfriend of the stepdaughter 19 never done a days work in his life said to me he is going to university next year to study to be a teacher I said to him don't worry about becoming a teacher there are not enough jobs for them in Thailand I said look up see that and I pointed  to a split Air on the wall. I said learn  to  install and fix them A TRADE Thailand has millions of split air con  Hard work but you will make money I looked at him and he fainted  and was lying on the floor The stepdaughter said u mentioned that word WORK

l

No doubt it is a story at least partly rooted in reality!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Irrespective of not being interested in conversing in English, all technology uses English words in its vocabulary by default.

My son (in M1) had to ask me about 'LED' 'laser' and 'infra red' and what the words meant, despite learning to use them in a Thai language environment.

...and there it is. You don't learn English you will limit your ability to use anything else you learn in order to market or develop further since the international community uses English as a common language. 

It should be by choice that they stay literate to any degree in English. They are Thai with no plans of traveling or interacting with English speakers.  They are also adults, if it's not for them, they know well enough.

I went to a rural Thai secondary school to see the daughter of my wife complete her studies.

I was treated almost royally. I went to the English class. Not one student was at a stage to converse at the most basic level in English.

But I was assured by the one English speaking teacher that her students had all passed the course.

It is sad really. 

Thailand has the potential to be more than just a supplier of agricultural goods to the world.

But complacency is an established fact.

English is a precise language. It can be subtle or bombastic with very few words.

Look at any multi lingual instructions on how to do something.

English will be a small paragraph. Every other language will take several more lines at least to explain the same message.

As already pointed out by other posts, it is the language of all navigation, trade, commerce and communication. 

The ones who are complaining are wrong about this one.

Count your blessings that the English requirement is in there.

The world is more inter-connected than ever before.

Some understanding of English will benefit all.

As far as the fees, that part of it may be worth a look. 

FB_IMG_1536386595417.jpg

Why to take all the fuzz… When their parents pay enough, they even will get a PhD in 5 years without doing anything…  Amazing Thailand.

I graduated in Netherlands for Physics in 1973, with I estimate, 1/4 of my books in English. When I graduated for business economics ( when I was 40, an evening course) I estimate 1/3 of my books were in English and my thesis... completely in English.

Maybe these students can ask their Chinese counterparts why they publish so much in English too… Maybe.. because also other academics need to read their publications.

It's a fair bet that the ones who are complaining are the ones who aren't lerning very much. Thailand is learning the same as UK learned, that reducing university quality so that every lad or lass that fancies they have been discriminated against can get a degree, just doesn't improve education, it just increase the number of kids with degrees, which by then are worthless.

Ahh the victory of doctrine over reality. It's a pity all Thai kids can't be like some Thai families and get all it's members honorary degrees despite being thick as pudding.

Thailand may wake up one day but it won't be today or tomorrow.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:
4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's the name given to a word made up using the first letter of the name of each word:

Laser - Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Sorry mate, my post was a joke.

Just One Kidding Everyone.

????????????????

Edited 2 hours ago by overherebc

Yeah you got me there!

When I've seen your posts I knew you had a good command of Engrish, but wasn't certain if it was your native language, hence your question.

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I did gain some fame, although not fortune, for a formula for establishing the area of a circle without using pie (anyone wishing to know the formula PM me).

I hope you won't tart up the answer!

56 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Why to take all the fuzz… When their parents pay enough, they even will get a PhD in 5 years without doing anything…  Amazing Thailand.

I graduated in Netherlands for Physics in 1973, with I estimate, 1/4 of my books in English. When I graduated for business economics ( when I was 40, an evening course) I estimate 1/3 of my books were in English and my thesis... completely in English.

Maybe these students can ask their Chinese counterparts why they publish so much in English too… Maybe.. because also other academics need to read their publications.

I know a few Hollanders. They are wonderful people but very pragmatic. I commend you on your English.

I commend you on being multi lingual as my Thai wife is. She proves that Thais can speak in understandable English (she demands I teach her every day)

My wife also speaks Lao and most of the Thai influenced language. I constantly get asked to teach conversational English by the Thai in my village,

It is mai dai, forbidden for me to do this. One report to the authorities and I lose my visa. It is a sad state of affairs.

21 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

English is, like it or don't, the international lingua franca of business and technology

English is also the language of the international travel and tourism industry.  (which BTW Thailand is wooing and promoting.)  Surely having a command of the English language can only be a plus for any student and for the country as a whole..

For information the Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna ranks #4633 in the world and #1562 in Asia.  (#37 in Thailand).  Perhaps the university directors are trying to improve their standings!

•  
  •  
  •  

If someone could enlighten the students to the reality English IS The international language. , As such, it only serves to help. It's not the USA, UK or Canada or Australia or other

English speaking countries issues. It's about the reality of international business, commerce and trade. Maybe it will change in the future but until it does, it is what it is. About the issue of a slush fund, that might very well be and maybe the course needs to be positioned differently within the university. 

This shows a clear lack of critical thinking on the part of those students and any other student who balks at learning English. As mentioned, it is the sole lingua franca now and the global language of air, sea and the U.N.

I learned French and German in school and there was no under the table envelopes being passed or cheating being accepted in those days.

Knowing 2 languages is better than knowing 1...knowing 3 is better than knowing 2...and on and on.

Anyone who cannot see the basic logic of that is destined for the lunch pail crowd.

23 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Other Asian nations are pleased Thais so lazy. As ive been told many times by young Singaporeans, that keeps em out of Word Trade.They piss about learning Chinese, when too young Chinese speaking English is a Status Symbol. Meet a Chin Student here and they never stop practising English with you, meet a a Thai and Sit Down Please is their Forte.

Ha Ha, sit down peas you want some dink,:drunk: or sing that song, lolling on a liver.:guitar:

About 10 years ago I was reading a 'Harry Potter' book in Thai, I had taught myself to read Thai prior to that in Germany but there were still many words that I didn't know and had a Thai / English dictionary open next to the book. My then 12 year old step daughter asked her mother why I was doing that to which she replied, to be able to read Thai fluently, her astonished reply was, why does he want to read? I now have the same problem with my 11 year old son, he can speak English fluently but is slow in reading it so I set him reading tasks every evening which he calls his torture hour. He regards reading as a waste of time because there is Youtube and Roblox etc on the computer. The idea of reading for pleasure seems to be an alien concept for Thais, although my son can read Thai fluently I have never seen him read a Thai novel, something that I did daily when I was 7 years old. Give him a computer and he is happy.

P6 to M6 around 12 years of study to learn 7 basic English words.. "I am fine thank you, and you"?

The standard Thai response... 550 words must seem like a mountain to climb!

Very shortsightedness from the parents, obviously they think that they should only learn Thai as they will pass the end of University term with honours and become big-wigs in  a prestigious company with full benefits.

Never mind integrating into ASEAN in the future or the possible chance of involvement in international trade.

Just stay in your cocoons with the blinkers on !!

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

About 10 years ago I was reading a 'Harry Potter' book in Thai, I had taught myself to read Thai prior to that in Germany but there were still many words that I didn't know and had a Thai / English dictionary open next to the book. My then 12 year old step daughter asked her mother why I was doing that to which she replied, to be able to read Thai fluently, her astonished reply was, why does he want to read? I now have the same problem with my 11 year old son, he can speak English fluently but is slow in reading it so I set him reading tasks every evening which he calls his torture hour. He regards reading as a waste of time because there is Youtube and Roblox etc on the computer. The idea of reading for pleasure seems to be an alien concept for Thais, although my son can read Thai fluently I have never seen him read a Thai novel, something that I did daily when I was 7 years old. Give him a computer and he is happy.

Yes, you need to awaken their love in reading when they are 3 not wait until they are 11 or 12, nothing about being Thai.

Fine... stay in your secular world and do everything in Thai language but....

when you go to your prestigious company for a job interview the first question they will ask you is:

What's your English ability?

They will probably be integrated with ASEAN and international companies with trade... so if your response is
"I'm fine thank you, no ploblem and you"....  don't expect to get on the short-list of applicants !!!

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds like BS to me.

I taught French and German in a UK (council estate) high school for a while, and maybe 10-20 in the school year could get a decent GCSE pass. (That's a year of 300-400 students)

You think Ofqual are lying and use your single piece of circumstantial evidence as if it were in some way more reliable, hillarious!  I'll listen to the ofqual results rather than extrapolating the results from your one council estate school, thanks.

Archived