Why are you making us study English at a Thai university? complain students

webfact

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

On this occasion I think the Thai’s make a very good point. A lack of English should not exclude a Thai from a Thai university course.

I imagine they enforce learning English because they know Thai as a language is dead. It's way too primitive, it'll be dead in 50 years.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2018 at 12:31 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

No they aren't. In every other engineering university in the world u will have to pass English tests, same for computer science, medicine and co.

Absolutely not. Or do you think a German or French University teaching Physics or Computer Science requires you to speak, read or write english? For what purpose? 

That you are required to know a foreign language to enroll in a government funded university of your own country: is simply absurd!

Absolutely not. Or do you think a German or French University teaching Physics or Computer Science requires you to speak, read or write english? For what purpose? 
That you are required to know a foreign language to enroll in a government funded university of your own country: is simply absurd!
Cool story.
I studied computer science in germany...
Need to have an Ausreichend (4) in A LEVEL exams to apply for the Bachelor and in most universities u also need to pass an english test from the university and/or have to take english as a class. It's most of thr time a TOEFL or oxford online placement test.

Suffice to say that everyone who got his german a level exams knows more than 550 words of english.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

On 12/21/2018 at 2:35 PM, remorhaz said:

... If you want to be a Tuk Tuk driver for the rest of your life then you don't need to learn English.  ...

You obviously have no idea how much a tuk tuk driver actually earns. (You had an idea if you actually used one from time to time) 

The rest of your post is just utter nonsense. Unless you work in the tourist industry, happen to be the unlucky bank clerk who has to deal with a farang or work for an airline: chances are you never ever need english in your life (as a Thai). The idea that "business" is done in english is utter nonsense. If you want to make business with Thai people you either speak Thai, or have Thai translators. And most of the business Thailand is doing is: selling rice. All the other is importing cars from Japan (very few from USA), and the rest is asia, notable China. Do you really think a Thai company and a Chinese company is doing business in english? Do you really think the majourity of trade on the planet uses english? Some other retarded poster claimed the majourity of scientific papers are in english ... rofl. Obviously most german and french papers get translated to english or published in german/french and english simultaneously. But, the majourity of scientific papers are: Chinese!

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think the white race will be alive in 100 years.

And any remaining people will be speaking Chinese, Urdu or Arabic.

I'd consider the posted source firstly, BMT.

My bets would be on Chinese or Arabic as a lingua franca.

English-centric influence is dying out.

4 minutes ago, Enki said:

You obviously have no idea how much a tuk tuk driver actually earns. (You had an idea if you actually used one from time to time) 

The rest of your post is just utter nonsense. Unless you work in the tourist industry, happen to be the unlucky bank clerk who has to deal with a farang or work for an airline: chances are you never ever need english in your life (as a Thai). The idea that "business" is done in english is utter nonsense. If you want to make business with Thai people you either speak Thai, or have Thai translators. And most of the business Thailand is doing is: selling rice. All the other is importing cars from Japan (very few from USA), and the rest is asia, notable China. Do you really think a Thai company and a Chinese company is doing business in english? Do you really think the majourity of trade on the planet uses english? Some other retarded poster claimed the majourity of scientific papers are in english ... rofl. Obviously most german and french papers get translated to english or published in german/french and english simultaneously. But, the majourity of scientific papers are: Chinese!

So true.

Yet, many don't seem to get it nor ever will.

28 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

I'd consider the posted source firstly, BMT.

My bets would be on Chinese or Arabic as a lingua franca.

English-centric influence is dying out.

Spoken like a man who doesnt study the history of language.

Hers is a simple article for you.

https://www.omniglot.com/language/articles/engunilang.php

2 hours ago, Enki said:

German do even from primary school already. The French never do what is asked so not sure, they are the Thailand of Europe.
Only thing to be absurd is only being capable of speaking one language in such a big world.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:27 PM, overherebc said:

Why learn english????

Because if you don't you won't be able to talk to real engineers.

Engineers in Germany speak: german.

Engineers in France speak: french.

Engineers in Spain speak: spanish.

Engineers in Japan speak: japanese.

You must have a pretty dumb idea about engineering. Do you really think two proper engineers risk having a huge misunderstanding because both speak english only as a second language? Hint: what does "eventuell" mean? What does "aktuell" mean? They are both german words, and they don't mean the equivalent of the corresponding english word ... good luck in life with your retarded attitude.

And while the 'superior' Thai students complain about having to learn English (just a few hundred words of vocabulary - not how to use them or speak the language), Thai employers everywhere are actively seeking legal Burmese staff, because they not only can converse freely in good English but are motivated, anything but lazy, and positively want to work and earn money - even if it is half of what their Thai counterparts are turning up their noses at.

And while the 'superior' Thai students complain about having to learn English (just a few hundred words - not how to speak it!), Thai employers everywhere are actively seeking legal Burmese staff, because they not only speak good English but are motivated, anything but lazy, and positively want to work and earn money - even if it is half of what their Thai counterparts are turning up their noses at.

7 hours ago, Enki said:

Engineers in Germany speak: german.

Engineers in France speak: french.

Engineers in Spain speak: spanish.

Engineers in Japan speak: japanese.

You must have a pretty dumb idea about engineering. Do you really think two proper engineers risk having a huge misunderstanding because both speak english only as a second language? Hint: what does "eventuell" mean? What does "aktuell" mean? They are both german words, and they don't mean the equivalent of the corresponding english word ... good luck in life with your retarded attitude.

Retired now after working for many years in the O&G industry and worked in many different different countries, including Germany. I would reckon 90% of the engineers in senior positions spoke, wrote and read english. 

90% of the contracts were in english, except in Germany where sometimes the original was in german, but, came with a translation to english.

My retarded attitude did me pretty well as in general things were built in accordance with ASME or DIN standards

( translated to english ) 

PS  DIN does not stand for

Das Is Normal.  ????????????

I worked in Greece for an international company, everyone had to speak English , not Greek. 

Germans, French , Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish people, they all spoke English.  

So yes, English IS the universal language. 

5 minutes ago, balo said:

I worked in Greece for an international company, everyone had to speak English , not Greek. 

Germans, French , Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish people, they all spoke English.  

So yes, English IS the universal language. 

One of the benefits is that if written properly in a specification it can leave no doubt as ehat is required.

eg I've read the statement 'should not be sourced from xxxxx' that only means it's a good idea not to use the material. It doesn't mean you can't.

'Shall not be sourced from xxxxx' means it cannot be sourced from xxxxx.

Some other languages can't be used that way.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:44 AM, worgeordie said:

They just don't get it,but then again the powers that be,are

sure Thai,will what the whole World will be speaking in the future.

regards worgeordie

Just as the inhabitants of North Wales will tell you, Welsh is spoken all over the world, and that maybe so but sadly they have never been told that nobody can understand a single word.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:25 AM, tifino said:

maybe, just maybe, a different podcast could be picked to express your point!

i.e.  -  one that talks about aliens! might just be a better choice than this one, 

which has main focus on 'subjects' that cannot be talked about here, in toto...

I picked up a book by David Icke in a hotel reading room in the Dominican Republic. He is either schizophrenic or a clever scammer who is milking the gullible set who believe that the Queen of England and the Bush family belong to a reptilian bloodline which controls everything. Beyond that, I only know that Icke used to be a sport presenter for the BBC. Apparently. presenting science fiction as fact is much more lucrative than working for the Beeb.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:42 PM, Eric Loh said:

Geez I only know 549 words. By your standard I have failed. By the way, why 550? 

Read the article at the start of this thread … the students complained that they had to learn up to 550 words.

they are right.

For example, german is not mandatory to enroll a university for British students too.

In France, all universities are in French. 

So, why thai kids needs to take an english exam? no reason for this.

this is higher education, not a language course. if you want  them to learn proper english, open an English prep year for all students. 

• 11 months later...

You can bet the ones making the most noise are those who didn't study at school because that muppet Prayuth (or one of his sycophants) told them Thai would replace English in 10 years, or one of the other muppets who told them Thailand leads the world.

Lies of course, as usual, but lies designed to keep them stupid and keep them happy to earn scraps from the pooyay table.

And here we see the results. Impressive eh?

On 12/21/2018 at 9:51 AM, jvs said:

Not really the same,many foreigners here are of age,not easy to learn a foreign language anymore (...)

Besides, what intelligent person wants to go through the trouble of learning a foreign language, if all the conversations you can have in said language, with most people that is, only revolve around: 

'where are you going', 'have you eaten', 'do you like Thai food', 'the food is so spicy', 'where are you from', and 'damn, it is hot today', thanks to the limited education, scope, interests, hobbies, and life-experience of most Thais. As for me, I wouldn't see the need to engage in conversation in any language with people of such limited curiosity.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:28 PM, Galactus said:

they are right.

For example, german is not mandatory to enroll a university for British students too.

In France, all universities are in French. 

So, why thai kids needs to take an english exam? no reason for this.

this is higher education, not a language course. if you want  them to learn proper english, open an English prep year for all students. 

Surely you mean "correct" English not "proper english?

English is the world international language and it should be mandatory to learn from the start of school onwards.  Give all the young the best possible chance of acquiring an international position within a bank or engineering firm or whatever …..  

ok …..  don't learn it and stay in the dark ages, school leavers can stay in Thailand and wash dishes all day … and some probably can't even do that properly. 

Archived