Avocado production in Thailand

huiran

I'm doing some research on avocadoes in Thailand, looking for help on some information I can't find online. Specifically I'm interested to know about the volume of avocado production in Thailand and where the bulk of that production happens, and whether the avocadoes are mainly for export or domestic consumption.

I'm curious because Thailand appears to produce a good amount of avocadoes locally (I've tried some from Phetchabun and Sukothai that were delicious, no less so than Mexican or NZ avos, and have seen many sellers along the road while driving through provinces) but still imports about 99% of its avos from New Zealand (https://www.tridge.com/intelligences/avocado/TH). I'm not all that familiar with the local agriculture/avocado scene and happy to have any misconceptions corrected. Cheers : ) 

I prefer the 80-99 baht avocado's above the thai ones who are a lot cheaper and smaller.

The thai ones are almost never perfect and don't even ripen at all..so i stopped buying those....bought a kg of hass thai last week and all together i had as much flesh as 1 Avanza from NZ because they were rotting again. Now i really won't buy them anymore but today i saw them for 119 a piece in the Isetan...extreme prices here.

Archived