SURVEY: US Troops out of Syria & Afghanistan -- Good or not?

Scott

SURVEY: US Troops out of Syria & Afghanistan -- Good or not?  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 years in Afghanistan? The US needs revamping of total military posture. Increasingly, we are viewed as an oppressing global force and not "the good guys. This is jusified by documented evidence over a long period of time. I favor coordinating the US military with allies globally. European concerns = Europe takes the front line, Asia = Asian allies take the front line, etc. The US acts in support but no longer is sending their troops as a miltary response on a global footprint (800 installations worldwide?). This does not preclude such things as enforcing free passage in international waters or airspace. This is in direct defese of our interests under international law. No US military action, additionally, without Congressional Declaration of War if we are sending troops into harm's way. Ah, yes, and absolute funding for service related damage caused to those veterans.

22 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Time to bring all the troops home from Syria

ISIS is 90% decimated and Turkey can mop up the rest. 

That statement just shows how little you know about the Middle East. But your leader made this impulsive decision (for whatever reason) and as a good follower, you will support him. Bahhh

29 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

18 years in Afghanistan? The US needs revamping of total military posture. Increasingly, we are viewed as an oppressing global force and not "the good guys. This is jusified by documented evidence over a long period of time. I favor coordinating the US military with allies globally. European concerns = Europe takes the front line, Asia = Asian allies take the front line, etc. The US acts in support but no longer is sending their troops as a miltary response on a global footprint (800 installations worldwide?). This does not preclude such things as enforcing free passage in international waters or airspace. This is in direct defese of our interests under international law. No US military action, additionally, without Congressional Declaration of War if we are sending troops into harm's way. Ah, yes, and absolute funding for service related damage caused to those veterans.

I applaud you sir.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Sounds like a well thought out plan. 

47 minutes ago, neeray said:

But your leader made this impulsive decision

"This decision??" All his decisions evolve from impulsive to compulsive. He ignores advice (in all matters) from anyone who doesn't support his impulsive notions and bases his military decisions on his personal experience as a draft dodger and his foreign relations are based on where he can build hotels or condos or get under the table loans.

But we've been assured that he very smart and very stable ... According to him.

Although I voted disagree , I strongly believe that the US /UK etc should not be there in the first place. An ill conceived and illegal campaign to bring about regime change.

Why it is now wrong to remove troops , is that it amounts to appeasement to Erdoğan.

In fact this is the second time this year that a great power has appeased this would be new Sultan .

Earlier this year Russia/ Syria also bowed to his pressure, to put off the assault on Idlib province.

Withdrawal of US troops from N Eastern Syria not only throws their Kurd allies under the bus, it will also mean the eventual take over by Turkey of the whole of Eastern Syria and the oil fields.

Moreover, eventually Russia / Syria and perhaps Israel will be forced into conflict with Turkey, as Erdoğans long term aim is the recovery of the Lavant and the establishment of a Neo Ottermann empire in the region. That will necessitate the US and vasal states to become involved in a major war in the middle east.

As the past taught us with the Nazi expansion into Europe in the late 1930's the time  to stand up and stop this man ( Erdoğan)  is now before it becomes far more difficult and bloody to do so.

49 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Excellent move. Turkey already lined up to finish the job, and eventually to take on Iran. This has been planned for some time. Media reports clueless.

I'd ask you how you know this but wouldn't get an answer, right?

I have never been convinced that the Taliban were behind 9/11 nor that they contribute to terrorism on the streets of London and Europe, despite OBL using Afghanistan as a base.  At heart he was always a Saudi.  Daesh, on the other hand, should be exterminated like the cockroaches and rodents that they are.  Why they are dignified in the western Press by the name Islamic "State", I shall never understand.

it boils down to this, if pulling out is bad, precisely what are the objectives to stay and what defines success and more importantly what defines the exit strategy for leaving and what will it cost. Lets not forget the blatant corrupt dysfunction of the Afghani region and the border area with Pakistan that will never be anything but what they are now no matter how much money, ordinance and blood is spent. Use our resources to rebuild and retool our own for a change.

I would be willing to bet those questions could not be answered while he was asking for several months. you can bet the military industrial complex and the same talking heads from the so called think tanks are the same people who have gotten the USA into these pointless protracted interventions and they can never clearly answer these questions with any clarity. And here were are over a trillion dollars later thousands of lives lost or shattered. But there will be the same cabal of TDS hive that just have to tear down regardless. have at it. 

53 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

it boils down to this, if pulling out is bad, precisely what are the objectives to stay and what defines success and more importantly what defines the exit strategy for leaving and what will it cost. Lets not forget the blatant corrupt dysfunction of the Afghani region and the border area with Pakistan that will never be anything but what they are now no matter how much money, ordinance and blood is spent. Use our resources to rebuild and retool our own for a change.

I would be willing to bet those questions could not be answered while he was asking for several months. you can bet the military industrial complex and the same talking heads from the so called think tanks are the same people who have gotten the USA into these pointless protracted interventions and they can never clearly answer these questions with any clarity. And here were are over a trillion dollars later thousands of lives lost or shattered. But there will be the same cabal of TDS hive that just have to tear down regardless. have at it. 

It wasn’t a ‘Think Tank’ that got the US into Afghanistan.

Doh!

2 hours ago, allanos said:

I have never been convinced that the Taliban were behind 9/11 nor that they contribute to terrorism on the streets of London and Europe, despite OBL using Afghanistan as a base.  At heart he was always a Saudi.  Daesh, on the other hand, should be exterminated like the cockroaches and rodents that they are.  Why they are dignified in the western Press by the name Islamic "State", I shall never understand.

I don’t believe anybody claimed that the ‘Taliban were behind 9/11’.

Carry on.

This is the right move. He should get all the troops home. The armed forces are a burden on American taxpayers to the tune of 800B/yr. Get some of that money to do cutting edge research in advanced technologies, cure diseases, uplift mankind from poverty. Be noble instead of the forcing evangelical christian democracy through military means to the rest of the world.

3 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Untill 100 % of Isis are exterminated, this particular problem will go on and on, so bringing the troops home early is not a good idea just yet.

Perpetual war for perpetual peace !!

(at least pease for some)! Isis will never be exterminated because Isis is an Idea and you can't exterminate an Idea as long as there are people to think it. There was Al Qaeda, then Isis, in Africa al-Shabaab. etc it changes names, it morpse to counter conditions, but it persists. Extremist ideas do not exist where life is good, they exist where strife exists and people grasp at straws.  We destroy countries, Iraq, afghanistan, Syria, Libya Yemen, and create the environment ,

We create the problem we pretend to try and eliminate.

History will not judge as kindly.

5 minutes ago, Kasane said:

This is the right move. He should get all the troops home. The armed forces are a burden on American taxpayers to the tune of 800B/yr. Get some of that money to do cutting edge research in advanced technologies, cure diseases, uplift mankind from poverty. Be noble instead of the forcing evangelical christian democracy through military means to the rest of the world.

If you are in Thailand you are enjoying life in a liberal society that would almost certainly have fallen unde Chinese sponsored communism but for the military intervention of the US in SEA.

Enjoy.

Im all for world policing when its needed but in these cases the US and allies should keep their noses out. We all know who are to blame and they should be arrested tried and strung up the same as they did to Saddam or better still just be hounded and beaten to death as what happened with Gaddafi while they stood aside and look.

It’s a great idea if you are part of the Russian federation Iranian Syrian or a terrorest it’s a great idea if you think surrender cut and run is the way to go it’s a great idea if you want to creat a vacuum so thease religious criminals can rebuild it’s a great idea if you think abandoning the people who helped us to be murdered is the way to go personally I feel otherwise that’s why I voted for McCain back in the day (still proud as hell for obama)btw 

2 hours ago, Kasane said:

But, unless you missed it, Trump is actually more into increasing defense budget and spending.

4 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

I guess the military industrial complex doesn't need those interventions anymore to justify their funding since Trump is willing to massively increase their funding while asking them to do less. You got an explanation for that?

Archived