Chiang Mai governor tells "Rot Daeng" drivers: No more fleecing of tourists

rooster59

Chiang Mai governor tells "Rot Daeng" drivers: No more fleecing of tourists

taxi.JPG

Image: Daily News

The governor of Chiang Mai has finally had enough of song thaews (rot daeng) ripping off tourists in his city. 

Following a week of complaints about the drivers he called their representatives into City Hall yesterday afternoon for a crisis meeting to lay down the law. 

They were told in no uncertain terms: No more fleecing of tourists - and follow a proper system that you all stick to. 

This week has seen a high profile Thai actor walk instead of pay 600 baht for a one kilometer trip, arguments and pushing and shoving by a driver at the airport after he was clamped and rip-offs on applications used to call the vehicles. 

Governor Suphachai Iamsuwan has had enough of the "rot daeng" (red vehicles) who Daily News said were damaging the image of tourism in Chiang Mai.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-22

Since 20 years the authorities try to get the BKK taxidivers to use their meters....they still don't do it all the time and banned ones use the license of another driver.

Phuket and Pattaya don't even have metered taxi's.

So why would we think that Chiang mai can stop them from doing it?

Some years back my wife and I were at Kad Suen Kaew, when she got a business call and had to go attend a meeting.  We went outside and she talked to 2 song thaew drivers about taking me home.  First one quoted 2,500 baht.  Second one quoted 3,000 baht.  We walked over to where 3-4 tuk tuks were parked and got a price of 300 baht.  Done! And had a funny as hell driver who kept up a broken English monolog the whole way. 

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

Since 20 years the authorities try to get the BKK taxidivers to use their meters....they still don't do it all the time and banned ones use the license of another driver.

Phuket does have metered taxi's at the airport

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The governor of Chiang Mai has finally had enough of song thaews (rot daeng) ripping off tourists in his city. 

I think it means the governor has had enough of seeing bad reports surface in the press just very recently.

For something that has been going on for decades, it seems a bit late for a journalist to use the word 'finally'.

I'd guess it's the usual face-saving announcement, as if it will make one iota of difference. Must be playing for time, in the hope the press (but not so much social media) get bored with it, and move onto something else.

It might be good if there was a regular update showing how the 'rip-off stakes' are progressing.

Please make up your mind is it "No more fleecing the tourists or Follow a proper system that you all stick to" I was led to believe that is exactly what they are doing now but not in a good way. "Follow a proper system that you all stick to" was a good statement, did he mean "fix the same price" or "one price for all" I know which I prefer..!!

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

So - he's got enough? 

And what will he do to enforce honesty and decency on these scumbags?

The Government Land Transport Department Compliance Officers, should be monitoring the activities of these thieves, and where necessary, referring transgressors for Court prosecution and conviction. That is what happens in civilized societies with functioning Land Transport Safety Authorities.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Considering what he can do and knowing how things work here I am afraid his strategy might be try to suppress reports of song thaews ripping off tourists in his city by using the infamous defamation law.

Learn a little bit about the place and what each cost and you have no trouble, I lived there 2 years and either agreed on a price or waved down the next one, often helped when buying heavier stuff to get it home, and had the number of a great guy for longer trips up the mountain or night safari when friends visited.

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They were told in no uncertain terms: No more fleecing of tourists - and follow a proper system that you all stick to. 

That is their consistant system.  SHake down the tourists for every possible baht.  That is the way it has always been and it is the way it always will be.  I can't believe that a Thai official doesn't understand how it works!

23 hours ago, Youlike said:

All Pattaya "official" taxis have meters, they just refuse to use them.

Archived