BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Authorities investigate after online firestorm about travel rip-offs in Krabi

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUyMy83NjE3OTQ2LzcuanBn.jpg

Image: Sanook

Sanook reported that Thai social media was red-hot with comment about rip-offs for travel from Krabi Airport to Ao Nang and travel around the beach area. 

There were reports circulating that people had been charged 3,500 baht for the ride from the airport, 300 baht for a one kilometer ride in Ao Nang and 200 baht for a short journey on a motorcycle. 

A person who was asked for 3,500 baht commented it was as much as the air ticket to the southern Thai resort. 

The Krabi Department of Land Transport chief and airport authorities - stung by the social media outrage - went to investigate.

But they found that buses, vans and taxis at the airport were properly regulated. Prices were properly displayed and everything was above board.

As an example passengers on minivans were being charged 150 baht for the trip to Ao Nang and taxis were all using their meters as required. 

DLT chief Ronakorn Thong-In said everything was fine - if there was any fleecing it was being done by rogue taxi drivers operating outside the law.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-22

Just so it is clear to anyone who never travelled around Thailand, where ever you you're a target for over charging and price gouging whether by design or by collisions with other services providers, foreign tourist are viewed a bunch of " rich people" who can afford to pay extra and more that other This or fair price, these are my experience in just about about every travel and tourist business, fair to say that not all partake in this shameful practice, but the majority are..

Well I know whose account am going to believe. Tourists simply don't go out of their way to cook up stories to bash the Thai tourism sector now do they. 

Surely they should have pressed for more info about the rogue taxi operator and set about bringing them to task

At the airport, there should be lots of video cameras, so it would be easy to see the incident and identify the ripoff artist. There is no mention of reviewing video so the "investigation" seems to be incomplete. Is this just another attempt to cover-up reality ?

At Krabi Airport you cannot fail to see the advertised prices, virtually everywhere is clearly priced.

Taxis rarely use meters as price has been quoted and paid for before you get in , that being said they are overpriced, and you only have the slow bus as an option.

Thai people i am afraid simply cannot help themselves from doing this,recently i found out my Wife had taken commision from the builders who built our wall,and the expensive furniture shop where i purchased furniture for the new house,and possibly the air con units,no point confronting her as of course she will deny it, very dissapointing,any future works i shall ensure she has nothing to do with,relationship is on hold,no biggy as she lives at her mothers the whole reason i have built the house. Okay i am fairly well off and give her a decent monthly allowance,but to me what she has done is wrong,of course she as a Thai see's no problem,how the hell can you ever change such ingrained attitudes.

36 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Thai people i am afraid simply cannot help themselves from doing this,recently i found out my Wife had taken commision from the builders who built our wall,and the expensive furniture shop where i purchased furniture for the new house,and possibly the air con units,no point confronting her as of course she will deny it, very dissapointing,any future works i shall ensure she has nothing to do with,relationship is on hold,no biggy as she lives at her mothers the whole reason i have built the house. Okay i am fairly well off and give her a decent monthly allowance,but to me what she has done is wrong,of course she as a Thai see's no problem,how the hell can you ever change such ingrained attitudes.

How sad.

What amazes me is that tourists and foreigners complain continuously about overpricing ,but no one reacts.

Thai people complain and authorities investigate.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Authorities are determined to find out why they haven't been getting a cut of the action.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But they found that buses, vans and taxis at the airport were properly regulated. Prices were properly displayed and everything was above board.

Of course it was... I wouldn’t expect anything else!!!

What a bunch of outright children... 

3 hours ago, robsamui said:

How sad.

Time for a divorce, or a geek.  

Really, she must be very good looking and good in bed if you would put up with your own loved one scamming money out of you, when you already give her a lot.

You take the bus 100/120 baht - they drove faster than most everything on the roads - never again 

rather pay 300 from airport to home feel safe and with aircon 

19 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

There's a saying we use up here....how to make a small fortune in Thailand? Bring a big one...you need to sit down and have a good rethink of your plans.the red flags seem to have been popping up all around you....first thing is see a property lawyer and get either a lease or if you can a usufruct on the property you've built.laziness in doing so will cost you.

19 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Been there, Done that, Worn the tshirt 

We had a young couple come to stay in our apartment the other day and they had been staying over there Ao Nang and Kho Lanta they said it was quiet