Where is everybody? Patong businesses suffering worst high season in 10 years

rooster59

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Don't see Chinese tourists the same as many western tourists.chinese probably come one time buy the t shirt,take a load of photos and never return.where as many western tourists will visit multiple times but due to the sky high baht it has made the place unaffordable to many.im afraid thailand has been exposed with the likes of social media and is on a downward spiral.the place has just become so expensive with inflation added in.if tourism has bombed this season I dread to think what it will be like next year.

For most of my friends, the exchange rate keeps them at home or they head off to Bali now (Aussies).

My Thai Brother-in-Law stated to me this week in his words exactly - "Cost me 20 baht to make a meal and I sell for 25 baht to the locals yet they want me to sell for 15 baht and take a loss. I could sell the same meal to a farang for 30 baht, make a load more money, not complain about the taste and they will say it is cheap; that is Thailand for you."

As a joke, I asked him about the Phuket bars and the girls working out of them. He just laughed and said us farang are just dumb as he can head off to a local bar, drink cheap whiskey and pick up similar girls for no premium at all (and he does). He just thinks it is so funny. He says what we pay for a bar fine and then money for a long-time equals what he can live on for two weeks out in the village. He just says, we just ruined it for ourselves paying so much. He told me days going out to bars looking for girls is now over as Facebook and other Apps are how most are doing things these days. I think the Pussy Bars are now just for those that have never really experienced them before and some are not cheap. After going to a few, nothing changes apart from the price of beer and the cost of bar fines. I mean now, I can find a girl in about 20 minutes on some of the social apps if I wished too.

Phuket has always been expensive. I have not been back to the place for 12 years and I really do not plan in ever going back.

16 minutes ago, Blue Water Sailor said:

Yes, I've only been once and just for a few days, but I liked it and intend on going back. Next time for a longer stay. The women, food, everything was great,

Yes, I loved it as well. I would say to go now as, in another 10 years, it is not going to be the same. All these places are changing now and you want to be near or on the ground floor before they do. I was in Vietnam 13 years ago for some time and had a great time. I am married to a Thai now, so I can only go back on holidays and I plan to do that this year.

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

As an ex-customer of these bars, I can tell you that you post is absolute rubbish. I met Scandinavians, French, Germans, Aussies, New Zealanders, Americans, Canadians etc. etc. at these bars. You ain't got a clue.

I agree absolutely. Some love to bash the Brits. But these bars attract guys from around the world. The real issue is that this administration is a disaster for the Thai people. They have done everything in their power to sabotage Western tourism and alienate ex-pats. Now the biggest joke continues the nonsense. Both Prayuth and his administration, and absolute fools like the joke need to be stopped.

Get out. Get out now. You are literally destroying lives and livelihoods. Just admit you are clueless fools and resign. Do you care for your nation, even one iota?

42 minutes ago, ThaiSauce said:

Music to my ears.  Hopefully no tourists come, not even one.  I think the locals need a hard reality check so they can have a moment of clarity. 

Now stop that - you are thinking all logical again. The chances of connecting the dots and having a rethink are nil.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

Everyone I talk to says they are fed up being ripped off with high bar prices, there are areas in Pattaya that are the same although some of the busy bars are starting to realise and have actually reduced prices down from what they were last year, bar owners need to ask themselves - would they rather have a busy bar selling hundreds of beers at 60baht or an empty bar selling one beer an hour at 120baht :post-4641-1156694572:  

obviously the answer is...฿140! ????

Phuket lost it many years ago already and I am not surprised it’s going down. It’s a different Thailand that personally i don’t like. people, behavior, greediness+++ all they got is the jewel Andaman sea. People who know thailand go only once to Phuket and don’t return as the country has so many more nicer places and is more authentic.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

Everyone I talk to says they are fed up being ripped off with high bar prices, there are areas in Pattaya that are the same although some of the busy bars are starting to realise and have actually reduced prices down from what they were last year, bar owners need to ask themselves - would they rather have a busy bar selling hundreds of beers at 60baht or an empty bar selling one beer an hour at 120baht :post-4641-1156694572:  

But, but,...the Thai way is if something is not selling then best increase the price! Oh and seem to be plenty of rooms available in Pattaya.

The thing is you can cruise the islands of Thailand and Malaysia, keep on going if you wish, Indo, South Africa, or just hang out at the islands, you want a bar, just put in somewhere and go to one. A lot of folks go to Phuket for the Diving. You can have Patong. When I go I stay Chalong. Going this R&R for a about a week. Then who knows

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So TAT says things are really good, while business owners say it is awful. Well, I know who I believe.

Looks like TAT is obsessed with Chinese. The biss owners cannot make any money out of the Chinese, they need spenders which apparently are not much around.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

Sounds like they are learning Business 101. Now there is opportunity in Phuket for some of these people who are actually cracking the code on how to run a business.

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

Spent much time in Vietnam? Didn't think so...

Vietnam is my main visa run.  Thus, I am there, periodically.

I disagree. In my opinion, Vietnam is Thailand's number one competitor in the region.  

Vietnam may not be getting the large numbers of tourists from emerging economies as Thailand does, but from what I see when I am there, they are getting the segment of the western market that are disenfranchised in Thailand / Phuket.  That's the tourists with REAL money to spend.  

To give you just one example of how Vietnam is progressing, and embracing tourism, check out the link below, and that's just one example.  For how long has Thailand be contemplating hosting this event???? 

Vietnam just gets the job done, and the tourist will come.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.vietnam-to-host-formula-1-grand-prix-from-2020.5GwYlGbr56A0GCycMuUM0G.html

9 hours ago, smedly said:

I agree.  The trouble with Phuket is, high, high, high rents, the cost of which, MUST be passed onto the consumer. (tourists)

The greedy Thai landlords here really have no idea of economics.  In the past, they didn't care, because foolish farang would come here and buy a bar, lose money, go broke, and the landlord would keep his key money, then turn the place over to the next foolish farang. 

There's not so many foolish Chinese following in foolish farang footsteps.  ????

Times have changed.  Social media will kill off the bar fine and old school monger scenario.  The next generation of adventures, have the world at their finger tips, and it's cheap.  Thailand (TAT) has to wake up, and fast.  It's dependency on their inexpensive young ladies on their backs, has peaked.   Next gen travelers can find a beach and party destination in about 30 seconds.  Another Wat, a dirty beach, overpriced tourist areas, the same international vendors/products in malls?   I like Thailand, but TAT requires a re-calibration.   There's no bouncing back and forth behind a corrupt "3rd world sex tourism destination" and a safe, clean "family destination" tag.  

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So TAT says things are really good, while business owners say it is awful. Well, I know who I believe.

There are plenty of tourists, but they are not the same kind of tourists that came here 10 years ago, so for TAT everything will be fine but not for those business owners that didn't change their business plans to accommodate the new kind of tourist.

The business environment changes all the time, and if you don't move with it you will lose out, and that is what happens today with all those bar owners and budget guesthouse owners who targeted the western monger.

To give you an example. Late eighties, early nineties, I ran a wholesale in VHS movies and had a small chain of video rental shops as well.

Believe I've made a killing, as did all video rental shop owners that I knew, and I retired when the DVD became popular.

Today there are far more people watching movies than in those years.

Try to make a living with a video rental shop today.

2 hours ago, ReMarKable said:

I should bitch about something related to Thailand and fit in, but sadly I cannot.

I got a mail shot from Agoda a day or so ago and it claims that 47% of rooms in pattaya are booked already! for my trip in January/February,Have seen some good prices and will have a good look around when I get there.I know it's nothing to do with Phuket but any silver lining these days!

Archived