Where is everybody? Patong businesses suffering worst high season in 10 years

rooster59

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

There are plenty of tourists, but they are not the same kind of tourists that came here 10 years ago, so for TAT everything will be fine but not for those business owners that didn't move their business plans to accommodate the new kind of tourist.

The business environment changes all the time, and if you don't move with it you will lose out, and that is what happens today with all those bar owners and budget guesthouse owners who targeted the western monger.

To give you an example. Late eighties, early nineties, I ran a wholesale in VHS movies and had a small chain of video rental shops as well.

Believe I've made a killing, as did all video rental shop owners that I knew, and I retired when the DVD became popular.

Today there are far more people watching movies than in those years.

Try to make a living with a video rental shop today.

I understand your analogy. 

The thing is, the pace of change here has been soooooo fast.  How can a business owner with a 5 year lease, for example, change their business model, within their lease, and still remain profitable, especially when the change of tourist demographic involves cultural and financial capacity differences????

I have said on many occasions, the time will come when many here are left "holding the can." I believe this "season" is that time.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, madmitch said:

So many posts in this thread talking about the unfavourable exchange rates. I've been speaking to a number of tourists from Europe, America and Australia and so many of them are commenting on the prices here, and not just Phuket! With the pound, the Aussie dollar, the rouble and the Swedish Krona all having problems tourists are having to look after their cash more. That may mean eating at cheaper places, drinking a couple less beers, foregoing the extortionately priced wine etc.

I've noticed a distinct lack of backpackers this year? The main reason: Thailand is too expensive now.

A strong baht mainly benefits the richer Thais but as they are in control then we probably won't see any change in the foreseeable future.

Thailand have for a long time been after increasing the quality of their tourists. They are going about it the right way as soon it'll only be the well-off that will be able to afford to stay here!

So, why wouldn't the tourists go to where they get a more favorable exchange rate, and a better value holiday.  Oh, that's right.  They are.  ???? 

11 hours ago, kelboy said:

That's because beer and bar fines are too high and the girls are getting fat and ugly and lazy. Also they are charging too much. They think they are the only ones in the world but hey everyone is going elsewhere. 555.

Thailand’s glory days are over.

What I've noticed the last couple of years being on different fb groups and traveling in Thailand , Vietnam, and Cambodia. Thai people are trained to dislike and tolerate farangs. They simply do not like us and only smile and tolerate for our money. Vietnamese really want us in their ctry and also I'm sure want the money. However they want to learn English and they seem to really want to communicate. Also coming in the ctry and needing 20k baht on you or you go in a holding cell kinda deters tourists a little. 

Weerawit clearly has a very short memory, high season no longer starts on the 1st November, although Patong businesses (particularly hotel businesses) refuse to accept this. It starts around 28th/29th Dec, has been the case for a few years now.

My guess is 499 of the 500 members of PEBA are all bars and restaurants on or within a 50 meter radius of Bangla Road, this number will not represent Jungcylon and all the 7-11’s, which are doing a rouring trade with all the Indians and Chinese low spenders. The PEBA businesses will suffer more once the new Central opens. Get over it and move on, your time is up !

1 hour ago, bkkrooftop said:

What I've noticed the last couple of years being on different fb groups and traveling in Thailand , Vietnam, and Cambodia. Thai people are trained to dislike and tolerate farangs. They simply do not like us and only smile and tolerate for our money. Vietnamese really want us in their ctry and also I'm sure want the money. However they want to learn English and they seem to really want to communicate. Also coming in the ctry and needing 20k baht on you or you go in a holding cell kinda deters tourists a little. 

India was like that 10 years ago, Thailand was like that 20 years ago, Singapore was like that 30 years ago , Vietnam will be like that in 10 years time .

The  places in the World where Westerners can go and get treated like superstars is dwindling 

-I was a regular visitor to Patong---but have not been back  for 3 years-- my regular hotel more than doubled their prices-i.e 2500B - was 1200B per night at that time -and I usually stayed for 21 nights in Febuary--- just looked again -- now it's more Tripled--i.e -3900B same room -I am retired and not a Cheap Charlie--- but with  that sort of increase --along with the rest--has forced me away---as  a regular for 15+ years to the hotel-- they would not even consider a discount  ????--not that it would have been enough to make me  stay !!!

its got to expensive to use the disco and similar entertainment

the landowners just want too much money ,and still did not realise they past the limit.

the police is the same its not small money they want either, i see a policeman have a new house new fortuna and a new benz .

the goverment is on the same track ,want too much tax incl. liquor and beer tax, and on top enforce closure time .

in the end there are only the visitors to pay ,but when a landowner have 18 bungalows want 2.2 million in key money , 750.000 in deposit , 280.000 in monthly rent , and 3 month advanced 4 times a year.

9 year contract and want the tenant to maintain the property they must have mist the math class .only a fool will work that hard for him .

you might make money, but almost 4 million advanced and 500 bath each bungalow each day all year around they must think we are stupid .

the police want 1000 bath for no helmet /no licence ,and how much to let the disco run 3-4 million a month each disco 0,5to 1 million a month each bar i dont know im just guessing .

but thinking of the policeman and he is not the only one i see, i think its around that.

the government ,we all see ,increase tax, which is way to greedy too. 

these rapidly increases of tax is unstabil for the economy in the country ,and very likely not recommended for an industry founded on turist.

all together it should end up with less turist ,but if the delivering countrys of turist is more greedy it would help.

the gap from home to the total cost of holiday would remain ,but if it decrease we have the problem.

free election of governors and goverment would normally effect the level of corruption in the right way ,as the two then would work for the people .

and possible help on the landlords in form of laws and regulation.which is needed.

the governor works for the people in the area ,and the goverment more specific on the collective information from the governors.

the last 4 years has been catastrophically to the industry here ,and the county as a hole .

8 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

I agree.  The trouble with Phuket is, high, high, high rents, the cost of which, MUST be passed onto the consumer. (tourists)

The greedy Thai landlords here really have no idea of economics.  In the past, they didn't care, because foolish farang would come here and buy a bar, lose money, go broke, and the landlord would keep his key money, then turn the place over to the next foolish farang. 

There's not so many foolish Chinese following in foolish farang footsteps.  ????

so in that case there must be either:

1) lots of boarded up empty businesses? (foolish farang gone and chinese not stupid enough to pay high rents) or
2) rents dropping to attract the only renters left (the non-foolish!)?

The first time i came to Phuket was in 2010.

Phuket seems much more busy now compared to 2010.

There are more tourists now conpared to then, but the expansion of new hotels & restaurants has probably grown far more than needed.

As an example, the expansion of Central Festival was ill advised. In addition, too many new small guesthouses as well.

That being said, where does all the billions baht of hotel taxes go to? No improvements to sewage treatment or other basic infrastructure since 2010.

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

so in that case there must be either:

1) lots of boarded up empty businesses? (foolish farang gone and chinese not stupid enough to pay high rents) or
2) rents dropping to attract the only renters left (the non-foolish!)?

It's number 1). It may not be immediately noticeable as it's often businesses just off the main streets that have the shutters down. Within 30 metres of where I am there's one guesthouse, one restaurant and one bar, all long established businesses that have closed down since November 1st.

2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

That being said, where does all the billions baht of hotel taxes go to? No improvements to sewage treatment or other basic infrastructure since 2010.

Bangkok, to build railways to China, and line the pockets of  the big guys.

Phuket, the richest province outside of the capital, rarely gets a mention when money is allocated for infrastructure (apart from a couple of underpasses!)

11 hours ago, adammike said:

I got a mail shot from Agoda a day or so ago and it claims that 47% of rooms in pattaya are booked already! for my trip in January/February,Have seen some good prices and will have a good look around when I get there.I know it's nothing to do with Phuket but any silver lining these days!

I read that 47% of rooms booked in a different way. For me it says 47% of the rooms available to Agoda are booked. That number may be only a few rooms out of the total the hotel/hotels has/have.

14 hours ago, marqus12 said:

HCM and boat to Vung Tau for a nice holiday by the sea !

Hi

I did exactly that for a holiday. Really enjoyed,seemed way better than Thailand in many respects.

Probably take another holiday there next year.

Do we really want tourists unless you own a business? I prefer less crowded bars. And if the bars charging too much for beer go out of business I don’t care. And if the bar fines are too much then there are alternatives. I do admit I like the bars and I like to take a girl home from the bar sometimes. But if you have huge tourist crowds the prices go up. We all win when western expats stay away and tourism is down.  It is the Issan girls and families that lose which is unfortunate IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Do we really want tourists unless you own a business? I prefer less crowded bars. And if the bars charging too much for beer go out of business I don’t care. And if the bar fines are too much then there are alternatives. I do admit I like the bars and I like to take a girl home from the bar sometimes. But if you have huge tourist crowds the prices go up. We all win when western expats stay away and tourism is down.  It is the Issan girls and families that lose which is unfortunate IMO. 

over the years i've generally seen the opposite - when the westerners leave, the girls leave too - leaving empty bars all around

Ripping people off and robbing them in filthy sleazy “Tourist “ areas can only go on for so long before people get sick of it. All the national park prices are one for foreigners and one for Thai. The once quaint and beautiful islands are rubbish filled cesspits. Myself and the other passengers arrived at Kho Chang.  It had been a Long ferry ride and the few “Songtiew waiting at the pier were asking five hundred bhat per person to be driven to the hotel. Objections as to the high cost were met with dumb insolence, when pressed by some passengers were told they could pay or wait. Everyone tired and hungry coughed up the five hundred bhat per person. Once money had been paid to the drivers satisfaction we finally left for the hotel belching disel fumes into rear. We wound our way up and down hills for some 20 or so minutes in pitch darkness. Suddenly the  ehicle grou g to a halt. The driver and his not small offsider got out and turned on a small light in the rear. He then proceeded to explain that we had paid only to this spot to go on to the hotel would cost a further three hundred Bhat. If we did not like it we could get out and fi d alternative means of transport. The place was a pitch dark small road up in the mountains. Nothing but jungle. No amount of negotaitig made any difference except to make the drivers offsider begin to look very menacingly at the ones who dared to challenge the situation. Seeing we had no choice and this was just another kindly Thai way of helping tourists new to the place LOS = Land of scams. This happened and must have happened on a regular basis to others

6 minutes ago, NaaKap said:

Ripping people off and robbing them in filthy sleazy “Tourist “ areas can only go on for so long before people get sick of it. All the national park prices are one for foreigners and one for Thai. The once quaint and beautiful islands are rubbish filled cesspits. Myself and the other passengers arrived at Kho Chang.  It had been a Long ferry ride and the few “Songtiew waiting at the pier were asking five hundred bhat per person to be driven to the hotel. Objections as to the high cost were met with dumb insolence, when pressed by some passengers were told they could pay or wait. Everyone tired and hungry coughed up the five hundred bhat per person. Once money had been paid to the drivers satisfaction we finally left for the hotel belching disel fumes into rear. We wound our way up and down hills for some 20 or so minutes in pitch darkness. Suddenly the  ehicle grou g to a halt. The driver and his not small offsider got out and turned on a small light in the rear. He then proceeded to explain that we had paid only to this spot to go on to the hotel would cost a further three hundred Bhat. If we did not like it we could get out and fi d alternative means of transport. The place was a pitch dark small road up in the mountains. Nothing but jungle. No amount of negotaitig made any difference except to make the drivers offsider begin to look very menacingly at the ones who dared to challenge the situation. Seeing we had no choice and this was just another kindly Thai way of helping tourists new to the place LOS = Land of scams. This happened and must have happened on a regular basis to others

Yeah, I've had to pay the 500 too getting off the boat at Koh Chang, didn't get squeezed like you did but I had a Thai Chick with me also, when my Thai girlfriend sees either her or I getting any kind of crap at all she gives them hell, I just stand by and laugh, I don't get to pissed at them unless it's really outrageous, generally I don't problems with the local Thais, having said that, I did like Vietnam, alot, I'm going back and look at it closer, I also liked Cambodia as well, don't know what the future holds for Thailand, it certainly has had a troubled history, we'll see

On 12/22/2018 at 11:22 AM, ChipButty said:

Pussy bars are finished that kind of tourist is not coming like they used to

They are to reasonably priced places, however my last visit to Phuket 4 years ago was 140 baht small bottle, 200 baht lady drink, 1,000 bar fine and 3,000 for them.....thats four years ago...any wonder that entertainment area is dead.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:34 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Even the dancer appears to be looking at the time of her next flight out of town . They could try the buy one get one free offer for a quick turnaround if they get busy ???? 

In Pattaya 10 days ago and was charged 120 baht for a small Leo , " Expensive I said " no second one is free she said , what a joke .

When I booked into a hotel on Soi Buakhao they asked how many nights and I said not sure cos if I not like I can go elsewhere . They said they were very busy and I must book as they have many bookings so I said 5 nights . I later found out they were only 40% occupied . Many bars empty and when I went to a bar I had a girl sit with me every time and within 5 minutes asked me for a drink and always between 100 - 150 Baht . Pissed me off in the end and refused company . Was offered short time for 1000 baht so must be desperate 

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

It's number 1). It may not be immediately noticeable as it's often businesses just off the main streets that have the shutters down. Within 30 metres of where I am there's one guesthouse, one restaurant and one bar, all long established businesses that have closed down since November 1st.

I don't see that.

2 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi

I did exactly that for a holiday. Really enjoyed,seemed way better than Thailand in many respects.

Probably take another holiday there next year.

I've been to Vung Tau many, many times. Oil-town Vietnam. Nice enough place, but, a holiday there??!!

I don't think so......

Archived