Where is everybody? Patong businesses suffering worst high season in 10 years

rooster59

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, stevenl said:

It's busy all over the island. It is simply the annual busy time.

Maybe in south where you are stevenl.

It's also normal that many parts are very quiet from 30.12.-03.01. every year.

Drove today Patong-Khok Kloi-Patong and on both ways absolute no traffic. Wasn't fast this way for many month.

Btw yesterday i refered exclusively on Patong traffic.

20 hours ago, stevenl said:

It's busy all over the island. It is simply the annual busy time.

"Peak Season" will always be busy, however, it's a very brief period on the tourism calendar. 

It's the "High Season" that is not so "high" anymore. 

There really is no "high season" on Phuket anymore.  Just a constant stream of package holiday makers from emerging economies. 

This does tend to smooth out any "low season" for the businesses that cater for them, but for foreign tourists, the "seasons" here are no more. 

On 12/31/2018 at 3:06 PM, Psimbo said:

Aussies only started coming here en masse after the Bali Bombing its just the wheel turning full circle as the world moves on. It makes more sense to travel there than all the way up here.

Parts of Vietnam are becoming little Australias- not for me.

"Aussies only started coming here en masse after the Bali Bombing its just the wheel turning full circle as the world moves on." - true.  However, that Aussie "en masse" is also becoming yet another lost market for Phuket.

Due to the bombings, Phuket was fortunate enough to pick up a lot of the Australian Bali market.  Why couldn't Phuket keep this segment of the market????  It's not just about the extra flight time.  It goes deeper than that.

it's not the only market Phuket has lost in recent time, yet, rather than addressing Phuket's "issues" they fill the void with Chinese package holiday makers. 

**** Queue another Psimbo baht bus comment****   ????

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Dont see many Indians arriving

Tourists from emerging economies can be a fickle market, particularly the Chinese. 

Whilst Russia, China and India have big populations, it doesn't take much for them to stay home.  Eg. sanctions on Russia after invading Ukraine. 

On 12/30/2018 at 8:49 PM, grego49 said:

And thats why my Aussie friends are going to Bali and Vietnam and not comming to Thailand any more.

This is an interesting issue.

Are the western tourists detouring Phuket solely based on affordability / value, or, has Phuket become an unpleasant place to holiday?

If the baht was devalued, or currencies in Phuket's traditional tourism markets rose, would these western tourists flock back to Phuket, or still go elsewhere?   

Not sure what's going on in Patong,  but Rawai is crowded with all sorts. Many Chinese, Europeans and Russians a smattering of Brit's, Aussie's and Americans.

Nai Harn and Ya Nui beach crowded also the beach chairs are starting to increase on the beach. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 2:25 PM, Oziex1 said:

Not sure what's going on in Patong,  but Rawai is crowded with all sorts. Many Chinese, Europeans and Russians a smattering of Brit's, Aussie's and Americans.

Nai Harn and Ya Nui beach crowded also the beach chairs are starting to increase on the beach. 

I note the date of your post, but will say, there is a surge of Chinese at this period, due to the Chinese New Year.  However, as stated previously, there is no point having big numbers here, if they do not spend, not to mention the "zero baht tourist" debate. 

Basically, for example, you can count 100 coach buses, all full of Chinese, but if they are here just to "observe" - with their holiday paid back in China, the Phuket economy will see very little money from  them. 

In my opinion, in relation to a tourism industry, there's no point counting "bodies" if none of them are put their hands in their pockets.  A hard lesson Phuket is now starting to learn. 

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

I note the date of your post, but will say, there is a surge of Chinese at this period, due to the Chinese New Year.  However, as stated previously, there is no point having big numbers here, if they do not spend, not to mention the "zero baht tourist" debate. 

Basically, for example, you can count 100 coach buses, all full of Chinese, but if they are here just to "observe" - with their holiday paid back in China, the Phuket economy will see very little money from  them. 

In my opinion, in relation to a tourism industry, there's no point counting "bodies" if none of them are put their hands in their pockets.  A hard lesson Phuket is now starting to learn. 

Yes but the beaches were not occupied by Chinese a lot of Europeans, Chinese I saw walking along the Beach road just looking around.

It resembled a high seaon from about 5 years ago, still not a peak, those days are over I believe.

12 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Yes but the beaches were not occupied by Chinese a lot of Europeans, Chinese I saw walking along the Beach road just looking around.

It resembled a high seaon from about 5 years ago, still not a peak, those days are over I believe.

So, the Europeans were on the beach, which is free to use. 

The Chinese were walking along Beach Road, looking, which is free to do. 

I don't disagree with you, there are a lot of tourists here, and they can be seen on the beach, and walking around, but do you see them spending money????

Archived