Where is everybody? Patong businesses suffering worst high season in 10 years

rooster59

The Thais in and around Phuket have set their watches to high season. My wife and I went several years back over a period that changed from low to high season. While a baht bus/tuk tuk from the hotel to  a mall was 100 baht when we arrived, two days later when it became high season on the calendar, the cost tripled. Tourists are tired of being gouged. 

The Thais job is to extract every possible baht from our wallets and do so with a smile on their faces. Our job as foreigners is to prevent it as much as possible with a smile on our faces.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, gamini said:

the main customers for these bars were "Brit" tourists. With the pound at 40 bt, they can't afford

them are many more

As an ex-customer of these bars, I can tell you that you post is absolute rubbish. I met Scandinavians, French, Germans, Aussies, New Zealanders, Americans, Canadians etc. etc. at these bars. You ain't got a clue.

3 hours ago, kelboy said:

That's because beer and bar fines are too high and the girls are getting fat and ugly and lazy. Also they are charging too much. They think they are the only ones in the world but hey everyone is going elsewhere. 555.

The greedy bitches will learn the hard way that Thailand is not the only place to go to and not before time...

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Everyone I talk to says they are fed up being ripped off with high bar prices, there are areas in Pattaya that are the same although some of the busy bars are starting to realise and have actually reduced prices down from what they were last year, bar owners need to ask themselves - would they rather have a busy bar selling hundreds of beers at 60baht or an empty bar selling one beer an hour at 120baht :post-4641-1156694572:  

I totally agree with their ignorance.I wanted a room at a hotel in Pattaya and they said 1000 baht a night..I said I would stay 20 days ,they said 20000 baht..ask any discount and answer no..

My friend stays there and he says it’s always empty..

wouldnt they want some guarantee money instead of nothing

Tourists don't come and the expats/retirees staying long term prefer to spend their money elsewere or take a plane to neighbouring countries. Why ?

- Getting cheated at arrival on the airport and have to argue with the taxi to turn on the meter

- Rather go to a country where they give you more then 33 THB for 1 US$ - thai currency is artificially to strong

- Why spend in a good restaurtant that charges almost similar as in Europe ?

- Why get harassed all over when driving by the over corrupt Thai Police targetting foreigners to racket money for invented road law violations ?

- Why spend time in an overpolluted city like Bangkok with trafic jams all over and retailers selling goods that are sometimes more expensive then back home (IconSiam for example)

- With all the extension of stay paperwork required, many now prefer to come with a visa waiver and then leave to a more friendly Asian country for the rest of the winter break.

- Good looking "adult entertainement female guides" , are cheaper and more friendly in neighbouring Asian Countries, and so is food and booze

- Beaches are dirty and water is polluted

- Always required to carry a passport becomes a nuisance and as nobody wants to get busted by a corrupt Thai Cop, it does dissuade also many to move around

- Foreigners just don't feel welcome any more and learn to understand that it's only their money that is targetted

and many more.....wake up Thailand, don't lead your beautiful country to doom day crash.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Everyone I talk to says they are fed up being ripped off with high bar prices, there are areas in Pattaya that are the same although some of the busy bars are starting to realise and have actually reduced prices down from what they were last year, bar owners need to ask themselves - would they rather have a busy bar selling hundreds of beers at 60baht or an empty bar selling one beer an hour at 120baht :post-4641-1156694572:  

Thais don't think like this. I mean cant think like this.

34 minutes ago, phuketlive said:

one big problem in patong is police hiding in streets at night to check people for alcohol... People ending up paying 10 000 or more to get away with it, so if even after 2 beers you get arrested, people will go somewhere else.

What does this mean? Would you please write more clearly to explain?.

Oh no problem …… "Thai solution " …. just keep on doubling prices and lower servicing..., girls ….it can only kill your bosses businesses , only to find out after  no businesses anymore to work in, in the near future 

So many posts in this thread talking about the unfavourable exchange rates. I've been speaking to a number of tourists from Europe, America and Australia and so many of them are commenting on the prices here, and not just Phuket! With the pound, the Aussie dollar, the rouble and the Swedish Krona all having problems tourists are having to look after their cash more. That may mean eating at cheaper places, drinking a couple less beers, foregoing the extortionately priced wine etc.

I've noticed a distinct lack of backpackers this year? The main reason: Thailand is too expensive now.

A strong baht mainly benefits the richer Thais but as they are in control then we probably won't see any change in the foreseeable future.

Thailand have for a long time been after increasing the quality of their tourists. They are going about it the right way as soon it'll only be the well-off that will be able to afford to stay here!

funny thing is, any bars that gladly display their prices for all to see are the cheaper ones, those that have no prices displayed are hiding something, if I am going to enter a bar and know what I will be drinking and cannot see the price displayed I will ask before I order and if I don't like it I will politely decline and leave, it is quite amazing when you walk down a street with 25 bars how the prices vary

If they don't advertise their prices it is for a reason, I have even seen some places get quite rude because I asked the price - go figure

4 hours ago, kelboy said:

That's because beer and bar fines are too high and the girls are getting fat and ugly and lazy. Also they are charging too much. They think they are the only ones in the world but hey everyone is going elsewhere. 555.

Pigs with lipstick

4 hours ago, kelboy said:

Our own farang fault  , treating like princess an angels … now they think can fly …..BTW  all the TH. boyfriends now need car instead of motorbike ...and don't stay in village while GF. working tourist places as before …. so no more or less LT time ….  "can not  do not " the charm from Thailand's GF experience is rare now …. their good old label … gone !

1 hour ago, sean420 said:

I totally agree with their ignorance.I wanted a room at a hotel in Pattaya and they said 1000 baht a night..I said I would stay 20 days ,they said 20000 baht..ask any discount and answer no..

My friend stays there and he says it’s always empty..

wouldnt they want some guarantee money instead of nothing

The threshold for intelligence is quite low... but everyone thinks they are quite smart !

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So TAT says things are really good, while business owners say it is awful. Well, I know who I believe.

Change in kind of tourists, so if you don't change your business plan accordingly, your business will suffer; i.e. child-families don't head for go-go bars and the like, and the popular all-inclusive package tourists don't head for local restaurants...????

Thailand have been flogging the same recipe for decades... now people are bored with endless gogo bars & rip off this rip off that... exchange rates are also affecting peoples choices.

Vietnam & other S.E Asian destinations look far more enticing and safer !

1 hour ago, thaikahuna said:

The Thais in and around Phuket have set their watches to high season. My wife and I went several years back over a period that changed from low to high season. While a baht bus/tuk tuk from the hotel to  a mall was 100 baht when we arrived, two days later when it became high season on the calendar, the cost tripled. Tourists are tired of being gouged. 

The Thais job is to extract every possible baht from our wallets and do so with a smile on their faces. Our job as foreigners is to prevent it as much as possible with a smile on our faces.

You are right on the money, sir. Bravo!

Archived