Cost of Living in phitsanulok

Kandodo

It is same as any other non-falang orientated city. Not much falang products in the two Tescos, Macro, Big C. But it's a nice place. A bit difficult to get around as there are very few tuk-tuks or baht buses. As for cost of living....there's the much-used Thai phrase...UP TO YOU. What and where you eat, and what you wear. Electricity, water, phones, internet, petrol are same as anywhere else.

It's going to be very basic on 15000/month.

Are you covered with health insurance?

You are going to exist on 500 a day, I would hope you are going to bring a sizable cash buffer with you, especially for the first month.

I think you would need at least 900 a day, more if you like cheese! + school costs. Just an opinion.

Anything in particular you would like priced here?

Okay the first 4 months I will be alone so that I can raise enough to bring my family.. how is that?..  even though accommodations are provided, I would like to know the cost of renting a 3 to 4 bed roomed house, school costs for my two grade 1 kids....and anything worth knowing would be appreciated.

Start with schools e.g .

http://www.malabiang.ac.th/ระดับประถมศึกษา/ paid about 5500 at term start, there is a book fee maybe 900 baht, they also have to have three different uniforms, This is a Thai school. In class before 08:00 hrs assembly on the covered sports area, for the national anthem! (also if your down at the park, everyone halts for the national anthem at 18:00hrs, before movies in the cinema etc)

http://www.malabiang.ac.th/ระดับประถม/   5300 to 10500 baht range per term

The son's education is augmented with approx 8 hrs of additional classes per week (perhaps 250 baht per hour), and an hour with the wife on English most  nights.

Vs

This one may be more relevant 

https://www.smis.org/

But also substantially more expensive!

https://www.smis.org/index.php/admissions/fees-for-2018-2019

Thank you very much for the information you are sharing, its really helpful as we embark on travelling this coming February 2019. anything worth knowing in terms of pricing would be much appreciated and if you know something that you think would be necessary for us to know please share.

for example, are there English speaking protestant churches in town of Phitsanulok?

Just a reminder, as you will probably have read elsewhere withdrawing cash using a foreign ATM card is very expensive flat rate charge of 280 baht on any withdrawal plus often a poorer exchange rate plus your banks charges, to be avoided.

If arriving at BKK, cash can be exchanged at a decent rate in the basement of the airport, just a the entrance to the airport rail link. Krung Thai, Super-rich etc.

Easy to change cash in Phitsanulok, remember notes must be in very good condition, no rips writing, or stains, or they will be rejected!

FCD accounts start with a minimum $500 balance.

Normal savings account much less.

You will have seen the numerous posts on account opening!

Tesco Shopping today

227g pure butter Orchid 79 baht

2 x 1.5 litre bottles of coke zero 44 baht

1 x 150g Arla Emmental cheese slices 152 baht !

1 x 450ml Meji Milk 29 baht

137 Almond Milk, 1000ml, 107 baht.

10 in No Eggs,  M 39 baht, XL 75-79 baht

Or you can buy portions of in food in bags, especially early morning, 30 -40 baht a portion up, a lot of it very good.  and a bottle of water 10 baht. 

Have to go.. will try and add later, as things come to mind.

I think you are going to have a hard time living on that much.  30K a month is much more reasonable.  Even more than that if you like to travel some and eat better.

You can probably find places to eat that would cost about 500 baht a day for 3 meals for 4 people(small family).  but times 30 days that is your whole 15k!

Putting yourself through that kind of lifestyle choice is one thing.. Putting your kids through it ?? Entirely another. 

15k isnt enough to do anything more than exist. Even that on the absolute breadline, a tightrope of hoping never to get sick, or have an accident, never affording a holiday, never having any luxury. Kids schooling, thier future, etc etc.. 

Personally I think a westerner doing this by choice (unless simply short term for the experience) is madness, doing it to a family borders on abusive. 

Come on now! Be sensible! 15000 is nowhere near enough.

Plus a wife and children!

Food, clothing, School fees, transport, visas, medical, telephones, TV, air con, electric, water, plus not living so badly.

Get real! At least 25k.

You will absolutely need more than 15,000 Baht per month unless you are very used to and can endure a full-on third world lifestyle.

How many people are there in your family?

Has your employer discussed extensions of your permission to stay? On that salary, you may not be able to get an extension to your permission to stay and you and your family will have to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days.

p.s. Don't get sick. I don't know where you are coming from but it is likely that health care here is a lot more hit and miss in terms of outcome and pricier than you might expect.

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Putting yourself through that kind of lifestyle choice is one thing.. Putting your kids through it ?? Entirely another. 

15k isnt enough to do anything more than exist. Even that on the absolute breadline, a tightrope of hoping never to get sick, or have an accident, never affording a holiday, never having any luxury. Kids schooling, thier future, etc etc.. 

Personally I think a westerner doing this by choice (unless simply short term for the experience) is madness, doing it to a family borders on abusive. 

very wise and sensible advise..expecting kids to live a 'meagre' existance is not fair..

you will constantly be worrying about affordability and hoping nobody gets sick..

kids need education--and stimulation- that costs money...

I think you could do it if you do not eat out much and eat a lot of Thai food. My question is what happens if you get sick and have to need medical care and what happens if the Thai government passes the medical insurance law? that would cost you at least 4or 5k baht per month depending on your age. Good Luck to you and your family 

On 12/23/2018 at 11:59 AM, Kandodo said:

Thank you very much for the information you are sharing, its really helpful as we embark on travelling this coming February 2019. anything worth knowing in terms of pricing would be much appreciated and if you know something that you think would be necessary for us to know please share.

for example, are there English speaking protestant churches in town of Phitsanulok?

It depends what you a protesting about. 555

My question would be why is the OP getting paid such a pittance?  Even basic teaching brings in around 25000 - 30000b per month.  I am guessing he is doing missionary or church / charity work of some kind.  Reading the syntax of his post, he doesn't present as a West African.  Northern European maybe.

Archived