Chiang Mai Governor: Thai actor may have been "mistaken" about his 600 baht "rot daeng" trip

rooster59

Chiang Mai Governor: Thai actor may have been "mistaken" about his 600 baht "rot daeng" trip

561000013160302.JPEG

Image: Manager

Manager reported a different angle on the story in which other Thai media had said that the governor of Chiang Mai was reining in the infamous "rot daeng" or song thaews of the northern Thai city. 

One of the key players in complaints about the "Red Bus mafia" this week was heart-throb actor "Guy" Ratchanon who got a lot of social media attention after he filmed himself walking one kilometer instead of taking the public transport. 

He claimed that he had been the victim of an extortion attempt after a driver wanted to charge him 600 baht for the short journey. 

Chiang Mai governor Suphachai Iamsuwan did not allow reporters into a meeting between the red bus operators, the Department of Land Transport and other related agencies on Friday afternoon. 

But after the meeting Manager said that having heard the other side to the story he would like "Guy" the actor to come back to Chiang Mai and explain what happened in person. 

The governor suggested that he may have misunderstood the situation. 

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-22

11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:
But after the meeting Manager said that having heard the other side to the story he would like "Guy" the actor to come back to Chiang Mai and explain what happened in person. 
The governor suggested that he may have misunderstood the situation.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I must have 'misunderstood the situation' so many times, when taxi drivers quoted me an exorbitant price to go somewhere.

I'm obviously hard-of-learning.

9 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

A rather shallow face saving attempt.  The old just a misunderstanding clause makes yet another appearance.   Maybe we are being ripped off.

Its practically unheard for red cars to quote 600 Baht , even trying to overcharge tourists they rarely go over 100 Baht .

I see no reason for him to lie, probably a miscommunication, as I see between Thais almost daily.  It takes 5 minutes for them to explain something basic, that would take a one or two sentence response in English.  There is no point in him going back to ChiangMai because of a miscommunication ????

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its practically unheard for red cars to quote 600 Baht , even trying to overcharge tourists they rarely go over 100 Baht .

My gf and I had a fight a couple weeks back and she took off. Told me later she got red bus (car) from Near Big C Mae Hia to Near Panthip Plaza and was charged 500B. She is Thai. 

2 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

My gf and I had a fight a couple weeks back and she took off. Told me later she got red bus (car) from Near Big C Mae Hia to Near Panthip Plaza and was charged 500B. She is Thai. 

Sounds like a private charter.  Yellow songteau run that route into town.

Just a petty ploy, to attempt to save face. They probably threatened this actor, in some way, as he brought "shame" upon the area. Anything to avoid taking responsibility, and improving the situation. This is all about face. I despise face. Here are my notions about this petty quality:

Face is no doubt, the greatest form of weakness, a human can engage in. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

Strange he did not allow any reporter in.  So no record of the conversations between the red bus drivers and him..... and then such a quick about turn on his 'crackdown' idea, now blaming the customer, saying he must have made a mistake and come back and explain himself!!!  PATHETIC.   

When I was up in Chiang Mai, I asked a red truck driver how much to take me from my hotel to the airport.  200B.  I countered with 100B.  The driver said, no, 200B to go to airport. 

So, I was pretty sure the red truck driver wanted 200B for the trip. 

Grab Taxi.  80B to the airport in a nice, new, car. 

P.S. The red trucks are the rot daeng, right?

Archived