Burnley manager Dyche fumes over diving in Premier League

rooster59

Burnley manager Dyche fumes over diving in Premier League

By Hugh Lawson

800x800 (15).jpg

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - December 22, 2018 Arsenal manager Unai Emery with Burnley manager Sean Dyche at the end of the match Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley

LONDON (Reuters) - Diving is ruining football and setting a terrible example for millions of children who love the game, manager Sean Dyche said on Saturday after Burnley's 3-1 loss at Arsenal, where he felt aggrieved at numerous refereeing decisions.

The result left Burnley stuck in the Premier League relegation zone in 18th place.

"I was upset with the referee today because I think these are clear things," Dyche told reporters, accusing Arsenal's Matteo Guendouzi and Granit Xhaka of going down too easily.

"No-one seems to want to do anything about the diving except for me. I'm still amazed by it," he said.

He said the FA and the Premier League should take action, suggesting that banning players would soon eradicate simulation in the game.

"You wouldn't ruffle your kid's hair when they come back from school if they've cheated in a maths test. If they cheat in a game of football then it's okay.

"There's hundreds of millions of pounds at stake in this game, and we've got all kinds of gadgets and everything to view these things and hopefully VAR will make a difference... I'm talking about the morality of the game," he said.

Dyche appeared to suggest that one cause of the problem was the influence of foreign players in the Premier League, citing the examples of former Chelsea star Didier Drogba and Spurs marksman Juergen Klinsmann, both of whom he said were nevertheless great players.

"When they came over and they were diving, it was on Match of the Day every week: 'We can't have this', and fans in uproar everywhere... and they slowly morphed into our culture here. Now it's every week and no-one hardly mentions it."

He was, however, keen to make a distinction between diving and gamesmanship, or going down from relatively light tackles.

"We're talking about blatant diving -- people who've had no contact at all and people going over," he said.

"My point is this: I'm a father, I've got a child who plays football, and I see children copying professionals and diving all over the place. That cannot be right," he said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-23

Dyche spoiled a very compelling argument here when he used Klinsman as an example because the thing that the brussel didn't do when he came to England was to dive.  His reputation for diving preceeded him and he set about trying to change it, ending up winning player of the year.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Dyche spoiled a very compelling argument here when he used Klinsman as an example because the thing that the brussel didn't do when he came to England was to dive.  His reputation for diving preceeded him and he set about trying to change it, ending up winning player of the year.

True, Harry Kane, Debbie Ali, any other starting 11 Spurs players would have sufficed. 

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

True, Harry Kane, Debbie Ali, any other starting 11 Spurs players would have sufficed. 

ut of course Bob, and lets not forget your good selves that have more bookings from diving than us mate!!!????

"You wouldn't ruffle your kid's hair when they come back from school if they've cheated in a maths test. If they cheat in a game of football then it's okay.  What a great quote.

And spot on about Drogba. He was a total embarrassment to Chelsea the first the season he played, spent more time on his back complaining than playing football.

Once he stayed on his feet he was one of the best strikers in the EPL.

8 minutes ago, carmine said:

ut of course Bob, and lets not forget your good selves that have more bookings from diving than us mate!!!????

???? you’ve still got more penalties than us at Anfield than in whole of last season and half of this, and we both know how you got those????

Classic deflection from a manager whose team have been found out after a couple of seasons at the top table .. He was sounding off recently on pretty much the same subject which is beginning to get him a reputation as being a bit of a whinger .. Burnley to go down this season anyone .? 

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Arsenal had the worst diver in the history of diving on their books and Arsene protected him.

Edwardo was so good (bad) he could have won a gold on the high board if he had switched sports.

Wasn't he the guy who ended his short career with a badly broken leg ?

Well, i'm against cheating, but even more against criminal fouling

40 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

???? you’ve still got more penalties than us at Anfield than in whole of last season and half of this, and we both know how you got those????

But Bob, a penalty suggests it wasn't a dive, a booking suggests it was a dive or have i missed something?

It is simple. Review every foul or penalty on VAR and if it is a dive then red card the diver and award a penalty at the other end for unsportsmanlike conduct. It will stop after the first idiot tries it on and gets caught

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Wasn't he the guy who ended his short career with a badly broken leg ?

Well, i'm against cheating, but even more against criminal fouling

Eduardo did break his leg in a tackle with a Brum player. He was out for 12 months. When he returned he was soon back to his old tricks. In one game he rolled over 7 times and there was no foul. He also started the trend of slapping the turf when he went to ground.

He was charged by the footy authorities for 'simulation' a couple of times.

I think he still plays at a reasonable level; somewhere in Sth America.

14 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

I watched the game and I don't like the diving that many players are guilty of but after seeing some of the roughhouse tactics used by Burnley I'm not surprised at some of the  actions.

I watched the game as well and thought Burnley had some rough justice from the ref and what we saw was probably retaliation & frustration and at 2-1- it was Burnley who looked the better side . BTW Burnley have not been awarded a penalty since April 2017 in the PL . Maybe because they are not a glamour side and not a team of divers . My remedy for the disgusting divers who look like they have been hit by a bullet is this . The ref should make a decision based on the divers antics of suffering . I.e. as a matter of health & safety the injured (or fake inured ) should be removed from the field of play for a minimum of 5 minutes to ensure that he is OK to return to play . A non contact diver ( i.e.simulation . VAR to prove next season ) red card . Same for use of the elbow .

If I sound like sour grapes it maybe that I had  Leicester , Chrystal Palace & Burnley all to win and return best part of 4 grand  xxxx  .  Got the Everton / Spurs result last night though little consolation .

On 12/23/2018 at 8:35 AM, carmine said:

Did you watch him play? Klinsman could've been an Olympic diver and he certainly dived for Spurs.

16 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Did you watch him play? Klinsman could've been an Olympic diver and he certainly dived for Spurs.

Respectfully, in terms of what he did in England you are wrong.

He gained a new reputation for quite the opposite and this was acknowledged when he was awarded player of the season.

his reputation in Germany and whilst playing for the German national side is quite a different matter.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:43 AM, superal said:

I watched the game as well and thought Burnley had some rough justice from the ref and what we saw was probably retaliation & frustration and at 2-1- it was Burnley who looked the better side . BTW Burnley have not been awarded a penalty since April 2017 in the PL . Maybe because they are not a glamour side and not a team of divers . My remedy for the disgusting divers who look like they have been hit by a bullet is this . The ref should make a decision based on the divers antics of suffering . I.e. as a matter of health & safety the injured (or fake inured ) should be removed from the field of play for a minimum of 5 minutes to ensure that he is OK to return to play . A non contact diver ( i.e.simulation . VAR to prove next season ) red card . Same for use of the elbow .

If I sound like sour grapes it maybe that I had  Leicester , Chrystal Palace & Burnley all to win and return best part of 4 grand  xxxx  .  Got the Everton / Spurs result last night though little consolation .

I thought Burnley were robust without being over-physical. Arsenal didn't like the tough stuff. But they managed a fortunate win nonetheless.

Forest let me down; big time. A 10 fold acc. 2 squid to win 9k. Been banned from betfair. Use 365 now.

Archived