Precautions for a Farang

Banana7

What precautions should a foreigner take when visiting Krabi Town, Ao Nang beach and nearby islands? I've read a few articles about Krabi and area at various websites including dailymail.co.uk and www.andrew-drummond.com. The article about a teenage biker gang makes Krabi, after dark, sound like a unusually dangerous place. I've visited Thailand many times and understand its many dangers but I've never heard or encountered a roving pack of teenagers bikers with knives and machetes.

Lots of drug dealers in Krabi Town around the backpacker area so stay clear and just ignore them. Ao Nang joints are openly available in the bars at anything from 300 up so again stay clear

Good advice. They are controlled by the police and I see many plain clothes police officers in the area of the Night Market in Krabi Town every night.

I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs of Krabi town, but Railay beach and area is pretty amazing.  The only issue I had, was the "non negotiable recommendation" to the wasted rusky's next door at the hotel...

18 minutes ago, madmen said:

Krabi is a death zone after dark. When I was there I paid reception staff to go to 7/11 after 8pm ???? 

Why was it a death zone? I haven't heard of any murders or violence in Krabi town, at night or during the day.

Strange replies on this thread.

I live in Koh Samui and we have a lot of guests doing the Chiang Mai, Krabi, Samui, Bangkok circuit.

In 18 years, not one has mentioned threats, deaths or 'keep out or die' situations.

Is there a dark farang underworld that are the only people who know about this terrible place?

In my experience teenage biker gangs are usually based in big cities. I rememeber hearing a roar one evening whilst eating kerbside in Hat Yai and low and behold a huge posse of teenagers on bikes cames slewing aroung the corner and were gone faster than they had appeared. Quite a sight in fact, could have been from a movie almost.

I would imagine that any violence from these types of teenagers would be gang on gang and not aimed at innocent tourists. Years ago the violence among gangs with weapons was quite prolific, but I haven't kept up with recent news.

If I was coming to Krabi, motorbike bike gangs wouldn't be on my 'to watch out for' list. Can't think of anything that would be come to think of it, but then I'm not based there currently.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Strange replies on this thread.

I live in Koh Samui and we have a lot of guests doing the Chiang Mai, Krabi, Samui, Bangkok circuit.

In 18 years, not one has mentioned threats, deaths or 'keep out or die' situations.

Is there a dark farang underworld that are the only people who know about this terrible place?

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Krabi is a death zone after dark. When I was there I paid reception staff to go to 7/11 after 8pm ????  

ask madmen

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

Was being fascious. I can't believe the thread topic. Krabi has to be the most laid back tourist strip in the land.. Or maybe even the world emoji288.png

You had me going lol. I spent 5 yrs in Krabi town/Ao Nang area about 10 yrs ago and never had an issue. Wife's family comes from the area and would of stayed but Hua Hin has the most sunny days per year so... . Like the north, in Krabi it rains a lot during the season. But I do miss the geography, that run between Krabi town and Ao Nang reminds me of a real life Jurassic park (without the T-rex ).  

But I do miss the geography, that run between Krabi town and Ao Nang reminds me of a real life Jurassic park (without the T-rex ).  

The t-rex are there - you didn't venture deep enough into the jungle....

Avoid any contact with the cops, a taxi driver and always wear a condom no matter how fresh she looks...

Fresh?  Which one are you talking about?  The cop or the taxi-driver?

Seriously, I lived in Ao Nang many years ago - totally laid-back place.  But as far as drugs are concerned, they are available all over Thailand and you'd be pretty stupid (actually, totally stupid) to buy/use drugs in Thailand.

I was going to say, I walked all over Krabi Town last week, fairly late at night. I had my laundry done by a service, and she put someone's Hugo Boss shorts in with my finished laundry. When I corrected the laundry lady, she scolded me.

That was the most danger I felt while there.

• 2 weeks later...

OP, you're getting quite a mixed bag of responses here. I spent a couple weeks in Ao Nang / Krabi 4 years ago with a former gf where she works in an upscale hotel. The reason that she works there, a hundred Km from her home in Surat Thani, is because of the safety of this family-oriented locale (Ao Nang). We still talk regularly, nothing about the area has changed.

Go, enjoy your quiet stay.

11 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Ao Nang is not Krabi.

"What precautions should a foreigner take when visiting Krabi Town, Ao Nang beach and nearby islands?"

Above is an excerpt from the OP question. Note that he refers to both. 

I am quite aware, thank you, that they are distinctly separate places. However, being in such close proximity, the area is frequently referred to as Ao Nang, Krabi or in some fashion that indicates their close proximity.

As stated in my original response, I have spent considerable time in the area and travelled many times between the two places, on several occasions, hence my avatar.

Having a boring day are we?

22 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

But, even if considering the proximity, the areas are very different.

Boring day?  No, more like a 'bad hair day' :cowboy:

Whatever. You can have the last word. I really don't care about your geographical knitpicking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 4:20 PM, Banana7 said:

Why was it a death zone? I haven't heard of any murders or violence in Krabi town, at night or during the day.

Because *they* kill everyone who talks about it.

Then they kill the ones he has talked to, and then the ones they think he might have talked to and then the ones he actually might have talked to.

The graveyard is a mess.

Many *death zone victims* are piling up in half assed nailed coffins and rotting in the sun.

Obviously that causes anger. More drinking. More killing.

Did you ever have been at the beach? Everyone who gets disposed in the sea is washing ashore there.

You can not go to the beach. Flies, stink, rotting flesh, *human flesh!* and lots of empty beer cans from evil Russian tourists ... perhaps it is the tourists who are killing each other?

I lost track ... perhaps the rotting corpses at the beach are Chinese divers? Not death zone victims?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived