BANGKOK 20 August 2019 03:19
Banana7

Precautions for a Farang

I was going to say, I walked all over Krabi Town last week, fairly late at night. I had my laundry done by a service, and she put someone's Hugo Boss shorts in with my finished laundry. When I corrected the laundry lady, she scolded me.

That was the most danger I felt while there.

• Like 1

Beware of the Indian/Bangladeshi chaps outside the eateries and tailor shops in Ao Nang. They'll want to shake your hand, Buddha forbid you get the hand they just wiped their bum with. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OP, you're getting quite a mixed bag of responses here. I spent a couple weeks in Ao Nang / Krabi 4 years ago with a former gf where she works in an upscale hotel. The reason that she works there, a hundred Km from her home in Surat Thani, is because of the safety of this family-oriented locale (Ao Nang). We still talk regularly, nothing about the area has changed.

Go, enjoy your quiet stay.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Ao Nang is not Krabi.

"What precautions should a foreigner take when visiting Krabi Town, Ao Nang beach and nearby islands?"

Above is an excerpt from the OP question. Note that he refers to both. 

I am quite aware, thank you, that they are distinctly separate places. However, being in such close proximity, the area is frequently referred to as Ao Nang, Krabi or in some fashion that indicates their close proximity.

As stated in my original response, I have spent considerable time in the area and travelled many times between the two places, on several occasions, hence my avatar.

Having a boring day are we?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neeray said:

the area is frequently referred to as Ao Nang, Krabi

But, even if considering the proximity, the areas are very different.

Boring day?  No, more like a 'bad hair day' :cowboy:

22 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

But, even if considering the proximity, the areas are very different.

Boring day?  No, more like a 'bad hair day' :cowboy:

Whatever. You can have the last word. I really don't care about your geographical knitpicking.

Edited by neeray
spell correction

On 12/30/2018 at 4:20 PM, Banana7 said:

Why was it a death zone? I haven't heard of any murders or violence in Krabi town, at night or during the day.

Because *they* kill everyone who talks about it.

Then they kill the ones he has talked to, and then the ones they think he might have talked to and then the ones he actually might have talked to.

The graveyard is a mess.

Many *death zone victims* are piling up in half assed nailed coffins and rotting in the sun.

Obviously that causes anger. More drinking. More killing.

Did you ever have been at the beach? Everyone who gets disposed in the sea is washing ashore there.

You can not go to the beach. Flies, stink, rotting flesh, *human flesh!* and lots of empty beer cans from evil Russian tourists ... perhaps it is the tourists who are killing each other?

I lost track ... perhaps the rotting corpses at the beach are Chinese divers? Not death zone victims?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Of all the places in Thailand to visit, Krabi is not even in the top 20. Avoid.