Precautions for a Farang

Banana7

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2018 at 6:11 PM, madmen said:

Was being fascious. I can't believe the thread topic. Krabi has to be the most laid back tourist strip in the land.. Or maybe even the world emoji288.png

Plenty of warnings in the foreign press for young white women not to be alone in that area.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2833369/Thailand-one-dangerous-tourist-destinations-Earth-Ex-pat-investigation-lifts-lid-dark-Land-Smiles.html

'Violent sexual assaults and robberies against both men and women are reported regularly in the Koh Samui archipelago and Krabi province. These are particularly common during the monthly Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars.'

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Plenty of warnings in the foreign press for young white women not to be alone in that area.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2833369/Thailand-one-dangerous-tourist-destinations-Earth-Ex-pat-investigation-lifts-lid-dark-Land-Smiles.html

'Violent sexual assaults and robberies against both men and women are reported regularly in the Koh Samui archipelago and Krabi province. These are particularly common during the monthly Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars.'

You have no idea the amount of venom I spewed when I found out The Fruit of my Loins was going down there, by herself. Fixed that problem toot sweet.

Well, I went down to Krabi province for a week. No bad incidents for me and sweety, however others were not so lucky. We were going to go on the 4 island tour and do some snorkeling but we talked to 2 Canadians that had gone 2 days prior, in a group of 8. At one island 3 people were stung by jellyfish, one guy really bad, on the face, neck, and half his torso. The 2 others got bad stings, large areas too. Only 6 of the 8 went into the water, so 50% of the tour got stung. On Railay beach, lots of dead jellyfish! Swimmers beware!

On 2/5/2019 at 4:09 AM, ta158 said:

from what ive seen from news lately,

in Thung Sai Thong Sub District in krabi, one man shot to death on 30 january and another man shot dead on 1 february.

https://www.khaosod.co.th/breaking-news/news_2162321

https://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/690555

the posts were referring to Ao Nang, Krabi, do you know how far Thung Sai Thong is from Ao Nang? do you know it's a rural mountain area and like any other province of Thailand a lot of stupid killings happen because of an old (bad blood) from family ancestors or from a small land border dispute and has nothing to do with foreigners and/or tourists

On 3/16/2019 at 8:57 AM, Thairealist said:

Regarding murders of Farangs. Plenty have occurred in AoNang.

please send supporting data when making such comments, I am sure any potential future travelers to the area would like to know the details

I remember my first time there, took a tuk tuk for 45 minutes to that beach town Ao Nang and when I attempted to get a tuk tuk for the way back it started.
Some issue with two other backpackers resulted the driver suddenly to get a huge machete from the roof of the tuk tuk and running after them as a crazy man.

I remained seated in the tuk tuk, flabbergasted. When he came back he was cooled down and put the machete back above my head on the roof, 
and then drove me to a dark alley where his family house turned out to be, then told me to change and go with his car as it would be quite a trip back.

All good at the end but never did I experience something so dodgy like as there, it was fun! I should go again.
While writing this, 3 years later, I suddenly think he didn't change the car for the trip but because he could be looked after by the police LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Mold. Most of guesthouses have mold or fungus.

Landlord ripped me off for a deposit too.

Local are bit surly, some mafia around for sure. Those reggae bars are dodgey.

my understanding is guest houses are low end quality staying places, other words cheap, did you expect to get a 5 star place for the price of a guesthouse, mold and fungus are part of the charm, lucky they didnt't charge you extra for that 555

Mafia is all around thailand (and the world)  when it comes to bars (reggae or not) restaurants, massages and so forth, are you new to the traveling surprises

• 1 month later...

Please ignore all the above negative posts. These People clearly have no idea!

I have lived and worked in Krabi for over 10 years. It is far safer than many places in Thailand and the rest of the world.

Perhaps if the above posters had actually spent any time here in Krabi, they would have a clue.

It is a wonderful and safe place. If you want trouble you can find it I am sure. That goes for most places in this world! Do not let a bunch of negative nags tell you otherwise.

Thank You

On 5/22/2019 at 2:48 PM, Silk Ao Nang said:

Please ignore all the above negative posts. These People clearly have no idea!

I have lived and worked in Krabi for over 10 years. It is far safer than many places in Thailand and the rest of the world.

Perhaps if the above posters had actually spent any time here in Krabi, they would have a clue.

It is a wonderful and safe place. If you want trouble you can find it I am sure. That goes for most places in this world! Do not let a bunch of negative nags tell you otherwise.

Thank You

in order to be able to sell condo units you can't make any negative comments, that's understandable. FYI, I lived & worked in Ao Nang for over 4 years, never had a problem and never made a negative comment about Ao Nang, guess you and a couple others don't understand sarcasm jokes, pity, pity

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 11:32 AM, Mavideol said:

in order to be able to sell condo units you can't make any negative comments, that's understandable. FYI, I lived & worked in Ao Nang for over 4 years, never had a problem and never made a negative comment about Ao Nang, guess you and a couple others don't understand sarcasm jokes, pity, pity

I think most people do understand sarcasm, and it does have a place on forums, unfortunately for you, trolling doesn't so why do it?

• 2 months later...

Most of the replies to OP question were really stupid and immature. The lady asked a reasonable question. Then the stupid people replied.

Sarcasm has its place for sure.. But silly comments like "it's a death zone" really isn't helping anyone. If your bored... get off TVF and get some fresh air pumping through your silly mind. Go for a walk! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi There, we are staying at the centara resort for a week, we have 3 kids under the age of 10, If there any reccomnedations in Ao Nang to visit as I understand there is a 'monkey trail' which links the resort to Ao Nang? 

Some family friendly food places and places to go to for dessert would be good. We are coming in from Leicester, UK. 

Thanks, TC

On 12/29/2018 at 5:36 PM, Gene1960 said:

Good advice. They are controlled by the police and I see many plain clothes police officers in the area of the Night Market in Krabi Town every night.

How do you spot Thai plain clothes police officers?

On 12/30/2018 at 11:45 AM, observer90210 said:

Avoid any contact with the cops, a taxi driver and always wear a condom no matter how fresh she looks...

That was the only problem I had when I stayed in Ao Nang. Condoms purchased in 7/11 didn't fit me. Always bring a plentiful supply from UK now.

Otherwise a lovely sleepy resort. Great for a few days R&R.

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

That was the only problem I had when I stayed in Ao Nang. Condoms purchased in 7/11 didn't fit me. Always bring a plentiful supply from UK now.

Otherwise a lovely sleepy resort. Great for a few days R&R.

You mean the condoms at 7/11 are to big for you ?!! ????

Archived