using my Thai driving licence in UK

happyme

As a poster mentioned this was discussed a couple of years ago. I posted my experience on that thread. A quick recap.

The main question is if you classed as resident or non resident. I arrived at Heathrow and was refused my booked hire car as I was told that as a non resident it was illegal to drive in the UK on a UK license. The criteria the car hire use is your address on license must match Electoral roll address which they have access to. No problem, wife used her Thai license as they would not accept my 1 year Thai license.

Wife got stopped for speeding and the police wanted to see my identification. I used my UK license which he checked on the computer. He told my not to drive in the UK as I was not registered at the address on my UK license and would be committing an offense.

I just tried to get a new UK license due to age and it was refused due to no proof i live in the UK.

As an aside I post a mates advice from his lawyer regarding becoming non resident

Break all ties with DVLC - including your UK driving licence.
If you are non UK resident you are not entitled to a UK licence anyway.
If you have a UK licence then you have probably used a relatives address for it. HMRC would just love that on as they would deem it as you having accommodation available to you in the UK. Then, based on that, they might suggest you are still resident.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:55 AM, baansgr said:

Why would you want to use your Thai licence if your UK licence is valid....why complicate things

Because if you can not prove your ID  with a bank statement or utility bill with same the address as on the licences .They will not rent you a car even if you have pre-booked it

Anyone who resides outside the UK for more than 182 days per year is non-resident meaning they do not have a valid UK licence.

I used my 5-year Thai licence to drive there. Insurance for 20 days cost £12 as an additional driver on a family member's car. They needed copies of my Thai licence, front and back, and passport including visa.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, naboo said:

Anyone who resides outside the UK for more than 182 days per year is non-resident meaning they do not have a valid UK licence.

Not true. My UK licence is valid until I am 70 years of age, no matter where in the world I live.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2018 at 9:06 AM, KittenKong said:

I didnt know they did those. I want one! Renewing mine every 5 years is a complete pain.

They don't issue new lifetime licences any more.... but will renew existing ones  so old paper types can be "renewed" (as plastic) and old battered plastic  ones can be renewed..but if you have a 5 year licence  now then that's all they will issue again...agreed its ridiculous to make everyone  renew every five years no wonder the DLT's are always overcrowded... ????

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

UK law that says that if you have a valid UK licence you must use it, not a foreign licence, to drive with if you are in the UK!  Look it up yourself.

A Thai licence (if you are also holding a UK licence while driving in the UK)would not be legally acceptable so in the circumstances that are being discussed here the licence is not "acceptable and legal at the same time!

"I also have a valid licence from another EU country. I suppose you are telling me I cant use that either?"

I do not know the regulations regarding licences from EU countries so, no, I am not saying that, but I would not be surprised if it was the same.

"UK law that says that if you have a valid UK licence you must use it, not a foreign licence, to drive with if you are in the UK! "

This is extremely complicated in the UK, since to possess a valid UK license you must have an address in the UK.

But in general, your blanket statement is not correct.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, KittenKong said:

If you know it, tell me which law applies. Until you do I will just have to assume that you made it up.

Why shouldn't they? There's no law against it.
An obvious reason to use a foreign licence to rent with is because that way one avoids the irritating DVLA online code requirement, as I mentioned. Another reason could be that the address on the UK licence doesn't match the address of the credit card being used. Rental companies check that sort of thing.

"Why shouldn't they? There's no law against it".

Yes, there is, driving in the UK on a foreign licence is unlawful if the driver holds a UK licence,

I didn't say that there not any reasons to rent using a foreign licence! 

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

Not true. My UK licence is valid until I am 70 years of age, no matter where in the world I live.

That's not true. If you are not resident in the UK your UK licence is not valid, regardless of the expiry date.

Drop a line to the DVLA and tell them that you are no longer a resident of the UK and see what their reaction is!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

"UK law that says that if you have a valid UK licence you must use it, not a foreign licence, to drive with if you are in the UK! "

This is extremely complicated in the UK, since to possess a valid UK license you must have an address in the UK.

But in general, your blanket statement is not correct.

Specifically, not in general, my comment is absolutely correct!

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Looking forward to seeing that law here. Which you won't be able to do, since there is no such law.

Funny how so many people who do not know things require others to do their homework for them.  I really don't care whether you believe me or not, next time you're driving in the UK on a Thai licence while you hold a UK one stop a policeman and ask him if what you're doing is ok! 

23 hours ago, Just Weird said:

UK law that says that if you have a valid UK licence you must use it, not a foreign licence, to drive with if you are in the UK!  Look it up yourself.

Wrong! A UK licence becomes invalid for use in the UK if the holder is non resident. The O/P MUST use his Thai licence to be fully legal.

This has been thrashed out on this forum many times.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Wrong! A UK licence becomes invalid for use in the UK if the holder is non resident. The O/P MUST use his Thai licence to be fully legal.

This has been thrashed out on this forum many times.

It's not wrong.  Read my quote again, I referred to a valid licence.  It is possible to have a Thai licence at the same time as having a legitimate UK address and licence. 

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

It's not wrong.  Read my quote again, I referred to a valid licence.  It is possible to have a Thai licence at the same time as having a legitimate UK address and licence. 

For a UK licence to be valid for use: 'The address must be one in GB where we can contact you at any time'.  (Quoted from DVLA info pamphlet)

A person who is none resident cannot possibly claim to have such an address.

I agree with you that it is possible to hold both a foreign and a valid UK licence simultaneously, But the UK one would only be valid if the holder spent lengthy periods in the UK, not just holiday visits.

I should point out, by the way, that the O/P made no mention of having a UK licence, nor even whether he is British. The correct answer to his question should be 'Yes you can use your Thai licence'. End of thread.

Edited by Moonlover

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

For a UK licence to be valid for use: 'The address must be one in GB where we can contact you at any time'.  (Quoted from DVLA info pamphlet)

A person who is none resident cannot possibly claim to have such an address.

I have a valid UK address, yet I spend almost all of my time in Thailand. If the DVLA tried to contact me at that address, the person living there can contact me at a moments notice.

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I have a valid UK address, yet I spend almost all of my time in Thailand. If the DVLA tried to contact me at that address, the person living there can contact me at a moments notice.

They cannot contact you. Only the person who lives there. Splitting hairs I know, but that's the rule as it stands.

Edited by Moonlover

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

They cannot contact you. Only the person who lives there. Splitting hairs I know, but that the rule as it stands.

They can contact me. DVLA corresponds by letter, they don't have a telephone number for me or millions of others, just an address. My friend opens my mail and, if necessary , scans and emails it to me. It's happened before when I've had problems with my bank, works a treat.

As I mentioned i was turned down for a renewed UK license by DVLA. Below is my lawyer's reply.

Yes, you must be a UK resident to renew your license. It's no problem as when you return to UK contact DVLA with your new address and driver number and they will re-issue your licence. Using a UK address when not living here is illegal but will only really affect you if you visit and rent a car. Your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers license is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have an accident.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers license is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have an accident.

No problem for me. I have an address that is occupied. My room looks as though I've just gone away for the weekend, fully stocked wardrobe, personal effects, the lot. If the insurance company came round, they'd be told that I'd just gone on holiday.

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:
17 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers license is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have an accident.

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No problem for me. I have an address that is occupied. My room looks as though I've just gone away for the weekend, fully stocked wardrobe, personal effects, the lot. If the insurance company came round, they'd be told that I'd just gone on holiday.

And the next question will be: 'When will he be back?' Even more poignant if it happens to be the police that have called round to see you!

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And the next question will be: 'When will he be back?' Even more poignant if it happens to be the police that have called round to see you!

I could easily be back within 48 hours if it were urgent but my friend would probably say, "A week".

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

My former wife affords me the same accommodation.

• Like 1

From the relevant Road Traffic Act. Interpret it as you like. Very ambiguous to me.

Driving entitlement.

Residence requirement

(1)For the purposes of an application under section 97, a person meets the relevant residence requirement if, on the date the application is made—

(a)in the case of an application that is made by virtue of section 89(1)(ea) (application by holder of Community licence), the applicant is lawfully resident in the United Kingdom and—

(i)is also normally resident in the United Kingdom, or

(ii)has been attending a course of study in the United Kingdom during the period of six months ending on that date;

(b)in the case of an application that is made by virtue of section 89(1)(f) (application by holder of exchangeable licence), the applicant is normally and lawfully resident in Great Britain but has not been so resident for more than the prescribed period;

Where it appears to the Secretary of State that a licence holder is not lawfully resident in the United Kingdom, the Secretary of State may serve notice in writing on that person revoking the licence and requiring the person to surrender the licence F14... forthwith to the Secretary of State, and it is the duty of that person to comply with the requirement.

16 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Looks quite clear to me - if you are ordinarily resident in the UK you can apply for a D/L.

Otherwise you can't

That's applying for a licence. What if you hold one, which clearly states on it valid until (70th birthday) and mentions nothing about UK residency?

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That's applying for a licence. What if you hold one, which clearly states on it valid until (70th birthday) and mentions nothing about UK residency?

Yes, I agree - that is a totally different question.

Without Googling the DVLA website, to get the correct answer, I would say that you are entitled to drive on that licence until the renewal date. The renewal application then becomes the issue.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Residency (and all the other requirements to hold a licence) does not need to be mentioned on the licence!   If you're non-resident in the UK and do not have a legitimate UK address your licence is invalid.  If you change your address you have to inform the DVLA, if you don't, you're committing an offence.   Whether it is ever checked-up on is another matter.