Jump to content
BANGKOK
happyme

using my Thai driving licence in UK

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

It's not wrong.  Read my quote again, I referred to a valid licence.  It is possible to have a Thai licence at the same time as having a legitimate UK address and licence. 

For a UK licence to be valid for use: 'The address must be one in GB where we can contact you at any time'.  (Quoted from DVLA info pamphlet)

 

A person who is none resident cannot possibly claim to have such an address.

 

I agree with you that it is possible to hold both a foreign and a valid UK licence simultaneously, But the UK one would only be valid if the holder spent lengthy periods in the UK, not just holiday visits.

 

I should point out, by the way, that the O/P made no mention of having a UK licence, nor even whether he is British. The correct answer to his question should be 'Yes you can use your Thai licence'. End of thread.

Edited by Moonlover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

For a UK licence to be valid for use: 'The address must be one in GB where we can contact you at any time'.  (Quoted from DVLA info pamphlet)

 

A person who is none resident cannot possibly claim to have such an address.

I have a valid UK address, yet I spend almost all of my time in Thailand. If the DVLA tried to contact me at that address, the person living there can contact me at a moments notice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I have a valid UK address, yet I spend almost all of my time in Thailand. If the DVLA tried to contact me at that address, the person living there can contact me at a moments notice.

They cannot contact you. Only the person who lives there. Splitting hairs I know, but that's the rule as it stands.

Edited by Moonlover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

They cannot contact you. Only the person who lives there. Splitting hairs I know, but that the rule as it stands.

They can contact me. DVLA corresponds by letter, they don't have a telephone number for me or millions of others, just an address. My friend opens my mail and, if necessary , scans and emails it to me. It's happened before when I've had problems with my bank, works a treat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mentioned i was turned down for a renewed UK license by DVLA. Below is my lawyer's reply.

 

Yes, you must be a UK resident to renew your license. It's no problem as when you return to UK contact DVLA with your new address and driver number and they will re-issue your licence. Using a UK address when not living here is illegal but will only really affect you if you visit and rent a car. Your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers license is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have an accident.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers license is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have an accident.

No problem for me. I have an address that is occupied. My room looks as though I've just gone away for the weekend, fully stocked wardrobe, personal effects, the lot. If the insurance company came round, they'd be told that I'd just gone on holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Spidey said:
17 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Your rental insurance is invalid as your drivers license is not valid even with a UK address on it as the insurance company will check where you live if you have an accident.

 

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No problem for me. I have an address that is occupied. My room looks as though I've just gone away for the weekend, fully stocked wardrobe, personal effects, the lot. If the insurance company came round, they'd be told that I'd just gone on holiday.

And the next question will be: 'When will he be back?' Even more poignant if it happens to be the police that have called round to see you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

 

And the next question will be: 'When will he be back?' Even more poignant if it happens to be the police that have called round to see you!

I could easily be back within 48 hours if it were urgent but my friend would probably say, "A week".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spidey said:

No problem for me. I have an address that is occupied. My room looks as though I've just gone away for the weekend, fully stocked wardrobe, personal effects, the lot. If the insurance company came round, they'd be told that I'd just gone on holiday.

 

 

My former wife affords me the same accommodation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the relevant Road Traffic Act. Interpret it as you like. Very ambiguous to me.

Driving entitlement.

Residence requirement

 

(1)For the purposes of an application under section 97, a person meets the relevant residence requirement if, on the date the application is made—

 

(a)in the case of an application that is made by virtue of section 89(1)(ea) (application by holder of Community licence), the applicant is lawfully resident in the United Kingdom and—

 

(i)is also normally resident in the United Kingdom, or

 

(ii)has been attending a course of study in the United Kingdom during the period of six months ending on that date;

 

(b)in the case of an application that is made by virtue of section 89(1)(f) (application by holder of exchangeable licence), the applicant is normally and lawfully resident in Great Britain but has not been so resident for more than the prescribed period;

 

Where it appears to the Secretary of State that a licence holder is not lawfully resident in the United Kingdom, the Secretary of State may serve notice in writing on that person revoking the licence and requiring the person to surrender the licence F14... forthwith to the Secretary of State, and it is the duty of that person to comply with the requirement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks quite clear to me - if you are ordinarily resident in the UK you can apply for a D/L.

 

 

Otherwise you can't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks quite clear to me - if you are ordinarily resident in the UK you can apply for a D/L.

 

 

Otherwise you can't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Looks quite clear to me - if you are ordinarily resident in the UK you can apply for a D/L.

 

 

Otherwise you can't

That's applying for a licence. What if you hold one, which clearly states on it valid until (70th birthday) and mentions nothing about UK residency?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

That's applying for a licence. What if you hold one, which clearly states on it valid until (70th birthday) and mentions nothing about UK residency?

 

 

Yes, I agree - that is a totally different question.

 

Without Googling the DVLA website, to get the correct answer, I would say that you are entitled to drive on that licence until the renewal date. The renewal application then becomes the issue.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

That's applying for a licence. What if you hold one, which clearly states on it valid until (70th birthday) and mentions nothing about UK residency?

Residency (and all the other requirements to hold a licence) does not need to be mentioned on the licence!   If you're non-resident in the UK and do not have a legitimate UK address your licence is invalid.  If you change your address you have to inform the DVLA, if you don't, you're committing an offence.   Whether it is ever checked-up on is another matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...