using my Thai driving licence in UK

happyme

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Residency (and all the other requirements to hold a licence) does not need to be mentioned on the licence!   If you're non-resident in the UK and do not have a legitimate UK address your licence is invalid.  If you change your address you have to inform the DVLA, if you don't, you're committing an offence.   Whether it is ever checked-up on is another matter.

The address on my licence goes way back, I've ad several addresses since then and have produced it to the police. On one occasion, they did mention that it was the wrong address but just advised me to get it changed. Not charged.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Residency (and all the other requirements to hold a licence) does not need to be mentioned on the licence!   If you're non-resident in the UK and do not have a legitimate UK address your licence is invalid.  If you change your address you have to inform the DVLA, if you don't, you're committing an offence.   Whether it is ever checked-up on is another matter.

Committing an offense does not mean the license becomes invalid.

And even then we're still far away from your claim, not backed up, that it is compulsory to use the UK license if in possession of one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Committing an offense does not mean the license becomes invalid.

And even then we're still far away from your claim, not backed up, that it is compulsory to use the UK license if in possession of one.

But in the case that is being discussed the licence would be invalid by virtue of the holder committing an offence by deliberately not providing a valid address as a resident.    

On 12/30/2018 at 12:20 PM, Just Weird said:

But in the case that is being discussed the licence would be invalid by virtue of the holder committing an offence by deliberately not providing a valid address as a resident.    

No. Committing an offense does not automatically invalidate the license.

It is also very well possible to have a legal address in UK as resident, and be in possession of UK and Thai license.

And we remain very far away from your claim, still not backed up, that it is compulsory to use the UK license if in possession of one.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

It is also very well possible to have a legal address in UK as resident, and be in possession of UK and Thai license.

And we remain very far away from your claim, still not backed up, that it is compulsory to use the UK license if in possession of one.

I'm trying to contact the DVLA to ask them this very question.

It's as easy as pushing string uphill. Too many 'required' questions to answer, to which I don't have the details easily.

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

"Committing an offense does not automatically invalidate the license".

I didn't say that that committing an offence invalidates a licence.  I did say that giving a false address (i.e. an address that isn't yours) is an offence and would, in this case, be enough to invalidate a licence.  A UK driving licence cannot be held, legally, by someone who is not a UK resident.

"It is also very well possible to have a legal address in UK as resident, and be in possession of UK and Thai license".

I know, I didn't say that that was not possible.

"And we remain very far away from your claim, still not backed up, that it is compulsory to use the UK license if in possession of one".

That is a fact, so we are not very far away from my claim.  Whether you agree with it or not is nether here nor there.

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Committing an offense does not automatically invalidate the license".

I didn't say that that committing an offence invalidates a licence.  I did say that giving a false address (i.e. an address that isn't yours) is an offence and would, in this case, be enough to invalidate a licence.  A UK driving licence cannot be held, legally, by someone who is not a UK resident.

"It is also very well possible to have a legal address in UK as resident, and be in possession of UK and Thai license".

I know, I didn't say that that was not possible.

"And we remain very far away from your claim, still not backed up, that it is compulsory to use the UK license if in possession of one".

That is a fact, so we are not very far away from my claim.  Whether you agree with it or not is nether here nor there.

Again more unsubstantiated claims, all nonsense.

• Haha 1

I posted this on Home Country forum. I have no need of a UK licence I just wanted to see if it is possible.

•  
  • Toosetinmyways
  • Members
  • 204 posts

I thought I would start a post regarding renewing a driving licence as a British subject but non resident. This topic is not about using a UK licence to drive in the UK.

My licence will expire due to age. I have no need of a UK licence as I have a Thai one but thought perhaps a UK licence would be easier to use in certain countries other than a Thai one. If you are returning to the UK, after you confirm (with proof) your address in UK, you will have your licence reinstated.

Apply online. No UK address, impossible. Use brothers address, this is reply from DVLC............ "You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA when your address changes or using an address that you do not reside at".

Now the correspondence.

Dear.
You asked me to fill up the form on your website. This form asks for a UK postal code of my current address.Since I do not permanently reside in the UK, I do not have this.
I need to know what to do ?

Yours,

DVLC reply

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 20/12/18
Your case reference number is (delete)

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

As you live overseas we’re unable to issue you with a new GB driving
licence. 

If you need proof of your entitlement to drive, please call us and we’ll
issue you with a certificate of entitlement. 

You should contact the licensing authority in the country you reside
in for advice on driving there. Please make sure they can accept
faxed/posted confirmation of your driving licence details. 

There is no fee for this service.  

Sorry for long post but it seems renewing is impossible if non resident.

• Thanks 1

Interesting article ripped from UK newspaper.

REVEALED: British motorists will need NEW driving licences for the EU post-Brexit 

BRITISH motorists will need a new international driving permit to use their cars in the EU in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

Motorists will need a new international driving licence to use their cars in the EU, in the event of a no deal Brexit.If Brexit talks collapse then the EU could refuse to recognise UK driving licences, a Department for Transport document will state. Drivers will need an international driving permit before driving their vehicle in the EU from March 29th.

An EU notice issued last month said: “A driving licence issued by the UK will no longer be recognised by the member states.”Currently motorists are allowed to drive in EU countries using their UK driving licence, although certain places require individuals to purchase an international driving permit. Driving licences will continue to be valid in the UK until their expiry date, however, they will hold no power in the EU.

• 5 months later...
On 12/24/2018 at 12:18 PM, Jane Dough said:

I shall try that next time I am in the UK. 

Do they hoot you when you undertake though?

Rooster

Yes. As they should. Keep it legal and don't undertake, other than when you are pulling off to the left from a motorway or highway.

• 5 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 7:50 AM, naboo said:

Anyone who resides outside the UK for more than 182 days per year is non-resident meaning they do not have a valid UK licence.

I used my 5-year Thai licence to drive there. Insurance for 20 days cost £12 as an additional driver on a family member's car. They needed copies of my Thai licence, front and back, and passport including visa.

Sorry to drag this up but what you say interests me. Would you please tell me  the name of the insurance company your family member had and which added you as an additional driver. The reason I ask is my wife is Thai has a Thai drivers licence and will be in the UK on a visitor visa. Many thanks.

15 minutes ago, welshboy454 said:

Sorry to drag this up but what you say interests me. Would you please tell me  the name of the insurance company your family member had and which added you as an additional driver. The reason I ask is my wife is Thai has a Thai drivers licence and will be in the UK on a visitor visa. Many thanks.

Don't think this will be of any help but here goes.

I went back to the UK earlier this year and a friend of mine tried to get me onto their car insurance. As I was now regarded as an expat they wouldn't insure me. Even though I have both UK & 5 year Thai driving licences. Not a problem if I wanted to hire one though. There might be some that will do it but her one wouldn't. Flatly refused.

Edited by fredob43

10 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Don't think this will be of any help but here goes.

I went back to the UK earlier this year and a friend of mine tried to get me onto their car insurance. As I was now regarded as an expat they wouldn't insure me. Even though I have both UK & 5 year Thai driving licences. Not a problem if I wanted to hire one though. There might be some that will do it but her one wouldn't. Flatly refused.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:54 AM, stevenl said:

I was visiting home on the Isle Of Wight early this year, when I got stopped for speeding between Newport and Ryde, I must admit I was well over the limit ( accidentally), I was asked for my licence, I had both the uk and the Thai one with me, I gave them my Thai one, not intentionally, he took one look at it and said to me please purchase the English high way code book and please observe the speeding requirements. He then returned the licence and asked me to proceed and observe the speed limits, He was happy that I owned the car and the address was correct, that saved me three points and a £100.00 fine. So up to you what you do, me I will show the Thai licence every time.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, Toosetinmyways said:

Sorry for long post but it seems renewing is impossible if non resident.

Renew it online ticking the box allowing them to use your passport and former address.

Collect new D/L from your old address in the next 14 days.

Never tell any UK authorities you live outside the UK.

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Renew it online ticking the box allowing them to use your passport and former address.

Unless you want to apply for a tax refund on the basis of having left the UK before the end of the last tax year you were paying PAYE.

I've done that twice in twenty years, receiving a 600UKP refund both times.

The second time was when I went back for a few months and happened to do some temporary work on PAYE.

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Unless you want to apply for a tax refund on the basis of having left the UK before the end of the last tax year you were paying PAYE.

I've done that twice in twenty years, receiving a 600UKP refund both times.

The second time was when I went back for a few months and happened to do some temporary work on PAYE.

I've never had a problem getting tax refunds on the basis 'I'm retired' and won't be earning any more this year.

Application processed online and refund in my bank within 14 days.

Telling them you're overseas is a mistake you may live to regret.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never had a problem getting tax refunds on the basis 'I'm retired' and won't be earning any more this year.

Application processed online and refund in my bank within 14 days.

Telling them you're overseas is a mistake you may live to regret.

I'm not retired, so did earn and wanted the refund.

I have no UK address or bank account, so it's not an option for me to 'not tell'.

On 11/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, welshboy454 said:

NFU Mutual (my mother owns a smallholding in mid-Wales and is an NFU member). Just been added again for this Christmas. Still £12 for up to 30 days (maximum of 30 days per year with an additional driver).

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 6:54 AM, BritManToo said:

By doing that, you are committing an offence. Besides, if your old address now belongs to a complete stranger, it makes it a bit difficult to collect the new licence. You would also need to time your illegal renewal application to coincide with a time you are actually in the UK.

It's also easier to hire a car using a Thai licence than UK licence if your addresses on your UK licence and credit card don't match, providing of course, the addresses on your Thal licence and credit card do match. There's also the added bonus, as already mentioned, that it's highly unlikely you would be fined for any (minor) traffic infringement as you are on a foreign licence with a foreign address and it's just too difficult for them to chase it.

Oh, and BTW, you would definitely want to tell one UK authority you live outside the UK .... and that's HMRC.

26 minutes ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

By doing that, you are committing an offence. Besides, if your old address now belongs to a complete stranger, it makes it a bit difficult to collect the new licence. You would also need to time your illegal renewal application to coincide with a time you are actually in the UK.

It's also easier to hire a car using a Thai licence than UK licence if your addresses on your UK licence and credit card don't match, providing of course, the addresses on your Thal licence and credit card do match.

My UK D/L, NHS doctor, debit cards and bank account details are still registered at the last UK address I used.

No reason to change any of it.

My Thai D/L, hospital registration, debit cards and bank details are all for the Thai address where I live.

No reason to change any of them either.

Nobody cares, nobody checks, as long as you have money & income the DVLC, NHS, DWP, banks are happy enough to keep it for you without really caring if you live there or not. No point in telling HMRC about living overseas, all my income is sourced and taxed in the UK. All my UK tax refunds are applied for online, repayment direct to my UK bank account within 14 days.

All the old fools worrying about addresses and offences are just that ........

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

I just got back form the UK. It was nightmare trying to hire a car with my UK licence as they wanted proof of address luckly i had a scan of a visa statement that keeps getting sent to the address i use in the UK and they excepted it other wise i would of been stuck. Avis did a check on me the other time and saw i was not on the electoral role and would not let me take a car, it was 1 am and i was stuck at the airport. I just wonder how the thai licence works around all the checks, especailly that DVLA number you have to show by using your NI number. By the way never use the new hire company easirent...they are terrible.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, BritManToo said:

My UK D/L, NHS doctor, debit cards and bank account details are still registered at the last UK address I used.

No reason to change any of it.

My Thai D/L, hospital registration, debit cards and bank details are all for the Thai address where I live.

No reason to change any of them either.

Nobody cares, nobody checks, as long as you have money & income the DVLC, NHS, DWP, banks are happy enough to keep it for you without really caring if you live there or not. No point in telling HMRC about living overseas, all my income is sourced and taxed in the UK. All my UK tax refunds are applied for online, repayment direct to my UK bank account within 14 days.

All the old fools worrying about addresses and offences are just that ........

Your last sentence was uncalled for, maybe a "chancer" could be the fool eh...????

• 3 weeks later...