using my Thai driving licence in UK

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Renew it online ticking the box allowing them to use your passport and former address.

Collect new D/L from your old address in the next 14 days.

Never tell any UK authorities you live outside the UK.

Unless you want to apply for a tax refund on the basis of having left the UK before the end of the last tax year you were paying PAYE.

I've done that twice in twenty years, receiving a 600UKP refund both times.

The second time was when I went back for a few months and happened to do some temporary work on PAYE.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I shall try that next time I am in the UK.    Do they hoot you when you undertake though?   Rooster

be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA when your address changes. You need: your driving licence to be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different process in Northern

Why would you want to use your Thai licence if your UK licence is valid....why complicate things

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Unless you want to apply for a tax refund on the basis of having left the UK before the end of the last tax year you were paying PAYE.

I've done that twice in twenty years, receiving a 600UKP refund both times.

The second time was when I went back for a few months and happened to do some temporary work on PAYE.

I've never had a problem getting tax refunds on the basis 'I'm retired' and won't be earning any more this year.

Application processed online and refund in my bank within 14 days.

Telling them you're overseas is a mistake you may live to regret.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never had a problem getting tax refunds on the basis 'I'm retired' and won't be earning any more this year.

Application processed online and refund in my bank within 14 days.

Telling them you're overseas is a mistake you may live to regret.

I'm not retired, so did earn and wanted the refund.

I have no UK address or bank account, so it's not an option for me to 'not tell'.

On 11/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, welshboy454 said:

Sorry to drag this up but what you say interests me. Would you please tell me  the name of the insurance company your family member had and which added you as an additional driver. The reason I ask is my wife is Thai has a Thai drivers licence and will be in the UK on a visitor visa. Many thanks.

NFU Mutual (my mother owns a smallholding in mid-Wales and is an NFU member). Just been added again for this Christmas. Still £12 for up to 30 days (maximum of 30 days per year with an additional driver).

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 6:54 AM, BritManToo said:

Renew it online ticking the box allowing them to use your passport and former address.

Collect new D/L from your old address in the next 14 days.

Never tell any UK authorities you live outside the UK.

By doing that, you are committing an offence. Besides, if your old address now belongs to a complete stranger, it makes it a bit difficult to collect the new licence. You would also need to time your illegal renewal application to coincide with a time you are actually in the UK.

It's also easier to hire a car using a Thai licence than UK licence if your addresses on your UK licence and credit card don't match, providing of course, the addresses on your Thal licence and credit card do match. There's also the added bonus, as already mentioned, that it's highly unlikely you would be fined for any (minor) traffic infringement as you are on a foreign licence with a foreign address and it's just too difficult for them to chase it.

Oh, and BTW, you would definitely want to tell one UK authority you live outside the UK .... and that's HMRC.

26 minutes ago, ChiangmaiRob said:

By doing that, you are committing an offence. Besides, if your old address now belongs to a complete stranger, it makes it a bit difficult to collect the new licence. You would also need to time your illegal renewal application to coincide with a time you are actually in the UK.

It's also easier to hire a car using a Thai licence than UK licence if your addresses on your UK licence and credit card don't match, providing of course, the addresses on your Thal licence and credit card do match.

My UK D/L, NHS doctor, debit cards and bank account details are still registered at the last UK address I used.

No reason to change any of it.

My Thai D/L, hospital registration, debit cards and bank details are all for the Thai address where I live.

No reason to change any of them either.

Nobody cares, nobody checks, as long as you have money & income the DVLC, NHS, DWP, banks are happy enough to keep it for you without really caring if you live there or not. No point in telling HMRC about living overseas, all my income is sourced and taxed in the UK. All my UK tax refunds are applied for online, repayment direct to my UK bank account within 14 days.

All the old fools worrying about addresses and offences are just that ........

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

I just got back form the UK. It was nightmare trying to hire a car with my UK licence as they wanted proof of address luckly i had a scan of a visa statement that keeps getting sent to the address i use in the UK and they excepted it other wise i would of been stuck. Avis did a check on me the other time and saw i was not on the electoral role and would not let me take a car, it was 1 am and i was stuck at the airport. I just wonder how the thai licence works around all the checks, especailly that DVLA number you have to show by using your NI number. By the way never use the new hire company easirent...they are terrible.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, BritManToo said:

My UK D/L, NHS doctor, debit cards and bank account details are still registered at the last UK address I used.

No reason to change any of it.

My Thai D/L, hospital registration, debit cards and bank details are all for the Thai address where I live.

No reason to change any of them either.

Nobody cares, nobody checks, as long as you have money & income the DVLC, NHS, DWP, banks are happy enough to keep it for you without really caring if you live there or not. No point in telling HMRC about living overseas, all my income is sourced and taxed in the UK. All my UK tax refunds are applied for online, repayment direct to my UK bank account within 14 days.

All the old fools worrying about addresses and offences are just that ........

Your last sentence was uncalled for, maybe a "chancer" could be the fool eh...🤨

• 3 weeks later...

Can not help but the company that refused to hire to me at Heathrow due to not being on the electoral roll was Ent__prise. At Glasgow it was Euro__r for same reason even though both bookings accepted online. Used Thai licence instead.