Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, BestB said:

It’s just travel insurance , complimentary when you buy a ticket. Depending if gold or platinum , cover ranges 3-6 months 

Interesting.

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa, which I thought had all the bells and whistles any card has.

I missed a non-refundable flight due to a medical situation, and when I called Visa I found out it only covered 60 days or less trips.

"Depending if gold or platinum , cover ranges 3-6 months".

Is this referring to an AmEx card?

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Can you direct us  the Thai policies that you mention?  Could be helpful, thanks..

Yes please as I have enquired numerous times to many companies and there is to my knowledge no insurance company that will cover once you are over 70 and I'm 76. Pre existing conditions rule out a lot of under 70's too.

How many over 70's are there in the country having a great imput to the economy ?

25 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Bangkok Bank sell  a policy that provides the level of cover required for this proposed order, covering accident and medical. Costs around 4,000 baht a year. It is not going to cover serious medical treatments, but for those on an O-A it will do the job, because it offers the out patient and in patient levels specified in the OP.

Thank you very much.. appreciated..

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Interesting.

I have a Chase Sapphire Premium Visa, which I thought had all the bells and whistles any card has.

I missed a non-refundable flight due to a medical situation, and when I called Visa I found out it only covered 60 days or less trips.

"Depending if gold or platinum , cover ranges 3-6 months".

Is this referring to an AmEx card?

Nope, visa and master , maybe depend on your bank. My master gold gives 3 months and platinum gives 6 months. 

But you have to understand this is not a health insurance policy but a travel insurance policy.

would not suit at expat, unless travelling back and forward on regular basis.

it also does not have any paperwork as proof of insurance

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Correct, that's all it is, accident cover, and I believe they won't cover you over 70 either. At least my bank SCB wouldn't.

According to UbonJoe, the cover offered by Thai companies for this requirement has an age limit of 100 years.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1074466-move-to-make-health-insurance-mandatory-for-long-stay-visas/?do=findComment&comment=13672836

You cannot be to old if under 100 years old according to this insurance company participating in the insurance for the OX visa.

https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XB9lTFwzaUk

3 hours ago, garyk said:

I can see a time where you will have to show immigration the 800K and the paid up insurance policy for and extension of stay.

And probably make the insurance policy "seasoned" for three months just like the 800K.

1 hour ago, ianf said:

The Insurance companies have denied me insurance

Then YOU ! Won’t be welcome in this land mass whose authoritarian legislators (busy bodies) whom no doubt merit make in order to please their own lack of kindness and compassion. 

10 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

According to UbonJoe, the cover offered by Thai companies for this requirement has an age limit of 100 years.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1074466-move-to-make-health-insurance-mandatory-for-long-stay-visas/?do=findComment&comment=13672836

You cannot be to old if under 100 years old according to this insurance company participating in the insurance for the OX visa.

https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-form.php#.XB9lTFwzaUk

No way you can get accident and health cover for 4000 baht a year.

12 hours ago, steve73 said:

Or those with pre-existing conditions..?

I am in remission for Prostate Cancer, who will cover me here ?

My current insurer was covering me for 90 Day trips but now I have turned 65 they won’t plus they ‘loaded’ the policy because of my pre existing condition.

Would I be correct in saying that the majority of unpaid hospital bills are people being treated after  an accident.

What about the backpackers who come for a few days or tourists on short term holidays, are they immune from accidents or illness ?

i am also looking at getting a Non O Multiple Entry from London based on receiving my UK Pension, it only mentions Non O-A ?

6 minutes ago, zydeco said:

And probably make the insurance policy "seasoned" for three months just like the 800K.

Probably no need for seasoning as each policy is sold for a year probably, and probably prepaid. This whole thing sounds to me like this is the direction we might be moving towards. There will be Thai insurance companies that will develop insurance products (including high risk, accepting pre-existing conditions) that barely meet the minimums, while containing all sorts of exclusions, high co-pays, etc., so that will add revenue to the Thai insurance companies, create an appearance compliance by foreigners, and address the issue of non-tourists burdening the hospital system. The only real effect on foreigners here on long stay visas (and probably on extensions of stay later), is another annoying cost required each year for a relatively useless insurance policy. For some, this cost might be too much.

However, as noted in this thread and the other closed thread, tourists are probably the biggest liability of anyone, due to the absolute numbers, and especially due to the high numbers from China and other countries where they might not be traveling with insurance. 

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No way you can get accident and health cover for 4000 baht a year.

The rates for one year on that lower link are 59K for 61-65, 69K for 66-70, and 94K for 71-74. going on up to 250K. And of course you still shell out for any pre existing conditions and other non-coverage.

34 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

How many over 70's are there in the country having a great imput to the economy ?

Well, they surely do.

In Pattaya they rent an apt. On Soi buakhow and walk to 7-11 three times a day for Leo and cigarettes.

Definitely huge contributors to the Thai economy.

Insurance is not a luxury 

it is a must 

there is no such thing as cheap and good insurance 

i have been paying my insurance for 43 years .... it is not cheap 2000 euros/year and does only cover 80%

Thais should not have to pay for 

visitors médical bills should they not take on insurance 

you all all have budgeted sex alcohol and smoking 

better factor tor in health insurance 

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, they surely do.

In Pattaya they rent an apt. On Soi buakhow and walk to 7-11 three times a day for Leo and cigarettes.

Definitely huge contributors to the Thai economy.

As opppose to Bangkok they go to family mart? Not up to your Chang high standards are they?

4 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

Insurance is not a luxury 

it is a must 

there is no such thing as cheap and good insurance 

i have been paying my insurance for 43 years .... it is not cheap 2000 euros/year and does only cover 80%

Thais should not have to pay for 

visitors médical bills should they not take on insurance 

you all all have budgeted sex alcohol and smoking 

better factor tor in health insurance 

Or maybe just start paying in to the Thai healthcare system?

Shouldn't take to long to make up for what the average Thai has paid into it.

13 hours ago, BestB said:

What are the offers from Thai insurance? Last time i checked to get equally as good cover as my International is same if not more.

I am in early 40's and paying around 50 000 per year, and it does not include ODP, if i was to add ODP my premium would almost double.

Now why on earth do i need to have ODP?, its 600-1000 per visit, why on earth would i want to have insurance which only covers 400 000 hospitalization? Thats 2-3 nights in a decent hospital with a minor surgery, any thing more serious and surgery alone is 400 000 already 

Now for those on NON O, insurance premiums are almost double to what i am paying, All i can see is many packing up. Not saying one should not have insurance, but this policy will hurt a few pockets

Yes, outpatient insurance is totally useless and I won't get one even if a rat in uniform licks me to death !

40 minutes ago, merijn said:

Even they mention the NON-OA visa i suspect that they mean all 1 year visas or 1 year extensions.

Exactly....I figure the key here is whether it's a long term visa or extension--allowed to stay for one year regardless of whether a Thai Embassy/Consulate outside Thailand issued it or it was a Immigration Office within Thailand which issued it.  These news articles often do a crappy job of reporting.

Now while it could turn out that this will indeed only apply when you are outside Thailand applying for a long term visa, like an O-A Retirement Visa, where a police clearance and medical certificate are required but no such clearance/certificate is required to get an Retirement Extension of Stay within Thailand, I bet it would apply to all long term stays/visas.

So we might need to find another several hundred thousand baht.  Thailand is becoming a very expensive Country to live in and I completely concur with the view that why do we have to have such a high sum for out patients treatment.  I have had a couple of little niggling issues which have been treated at the Hospital and it has only cost about 1,000 baht each time.  Sounds like to me they are trying to drum up business for their Insurance Companies.  I know everyone needs cover, but this is going to cause even more problems and I suspect some will just leave!

24 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

However, as noted in this thread and the other closed thread, tourists are probably the biggest liability of anyone, due to the absolute numbers, and especially due to the high numbers from China and other countries where they might not be traveling with insurance. 

Who would appear to be the sort of individuals that "The Nation" has chosen to illustrate the article:

image.png.f7ec1e7f309b1d35bcb1118dcc33e00a.png

If they go ahead with this for O and A one year visas, it is hard to imagine they would not also do it for one year extensions of same. This is just a press report of a meeting on medical tourism. If anything comes of it, details will be thrashed out by Immigration under Big Joke. It could also happen for NON-B and tourist visas but unlikely for transit visas. 

I would hope they would also provide some way to buy into the 30 baht system which they already do for documented foreign laborers. Sadly, without an opposition or parliament, the recent tendency has been to pass laws and regulations, the ramifications of which have not been thoroughly thought through.

Archived