Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Henricus said:

This is for those on O-A visa. It does not  impact those on retirement extensions?

You only get this extension when you have a Non O

And you back this up with what kind of guarantee?

Yet another reason for moving on both myself and wife are over 65 getting insurance at a reasonable price is a thing of the past we were quoted 150,000 baht for one year . My wife had to go into government hospital for a big operation total cost was less than 100,000 baht all the other farangs in the hospital at the time were young farangs with motor bike injuries and guess what the majority didn’t have insurance cover it’s not the old sods the Government should look at its the young uninsured who have only enough to feed there bellies and binge on buckets of alcohol.

14 hours ago, Maestro said:

The news article talks about the O-A visa, for which application is made at a Thai embassy or consulate.

The article says:  "Foreigners WITH one-year Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A”", not applying for. So I assume it would apply to every yearly extension to a visa at an immigration office. If it comes into force I would be annoyed at the inclusion of outpatient cover. The cost of a policy with inpatient only cover saves enough for this amount of outpatient expense, so it would be an utter waste of money. 

I had health insurance with Thai company called Muang Thai. paid in Oct 2011.

Was in hospital Dec 2011 for 1 week (18,500 baht) Doctor said I needed CAT scan so had this at BKK Pattaya (21,500 baht) the INSURANCE company would NOT pay out.

I late Jan 2012 they did REPAY my PREMIUM of 38,000 baht.

Many insurance companies will NOT give Health Insurance if one smokes or has diabetes 

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Bangkok Bank sell  a policy that provides the level of cover required for this proposed order, covering accident and medical. Costs around 4,000 baht a year. It is not going to cover serious medical treatments, but for those on an O-A it will do the job, because it offers the out patient and in patient levels specified in the OP.

EDIT: This is a very basic policy. I am only 54, so it may be higher for those older. If you have serious health issues, you probably require something more upmarket.

I had an accident policy with the SCB, but they stopped it when I reached 70. 

3 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

I am 70 in March and what Insurance Company is going to insure me without taking every Baht I possess, if this comes in time to move on!

try AXA think they might insure older people !!

Their office is on Sukhumvit before North Pattaya road left hand side going to BKK

20 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Immigration has nothing to do with that. :sleep:

It's about the OA-Visa, a visa that you only get in your own country. So I think it's not a big problem for your local Thai Embassy to check an insurance of your country. :cool:

But Immigration is involved on the committee discussing all this :

were being jointly formulated by the Public Health Ministry, the Foreign Ministry, the Interior Ministry, the Immigration Bureau, the Office of Insurance Commission, the Thai General Insurance Association, and the Thai Life Assurance Association.

I have suggested this before – I know that this forum is monitored. Governments of any persuasion like precedent. This suggestion has precedent in Europe.

COMPULSORY INSURANCE:

For ANY scheme to work (for all persons living here, regardless of type of stay) it needs to be both affordable and compulsory. If it remains focused on one visa type OR retains exemptions for -”You Name It” then it will not work – in any country.

ONE SOLUTION

Thailand adopt the minimum compulsory Schengen “style” (European) visa health insurance scheme. If it is "actuarially" sound in Europe, given their hospital costs it should be very profitable here.

Calculations (From Euro to Baht) – (Changes minute by minute – hence approx)

TOURISTS

30 million tourists (2015 figures 29.8 million) each with a compulsory health policy @ approx 700 baht each (19 euro) same as Schengen policy. The policy is about the same as Thai departure tax – A variety of “taxes” are added to airline tickets, depending on which country one travels too. Departure tax is currently added to an airline ticket to Thailand, so the facility exists to add another. Every person entering the country by air – NO EXCEPTIONS. - Cash at land borders.

Approx income:- twenty-one billion baht. You would not want those that cannot afford 19 euro anyhow?

Read the Schengen policy http://bit.ly/2g13ip3 Europe can do it, so can Thailand.

EXPATS

Long term visa, etc.. holders must pay regardless of age (Same price ALL age groups).

If we follow the “Schengen” example: About 1,100฿ each and every month (Paid in advance for the intended length of stay) – for full access to Thai public hospital system. Pr-existing conditions, same as Schengen policy.

EXAMPLE ONE:- (For whatever reason) You are granted a 1 year extension of stay.

You pay 1100 ฿ x 12 = 13,200 ฿ – you have the same access as any Thai Citizen, to the public health system.

EXAMPLE TWO:- Five Year Elite Visa 500,000฿. PLUS Insurance add on 13200 x 5 = 66000฿

Total cost 566,000฿ The option to upgrade exists – NO option to opt out. (Of course they could take the 13200฿ annually – it’s just an example)

This does not stop the rich having their own policy, or the THAI insurance companies offering an upgrade, to those that can afford more. But, it does not mean they can opt out of the compulsory system – To make it actuarially sound everyone must contribute.

For the sake of clarity, “actuarially” or economies of scale come into play. Hence one can ONLY add to a policy – if you want to stay here you must contribute.

11 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

The article says:  "Foreigners WITH one-year Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A”", not applying for. So I assume it would apply to every yearly extension to a visa at an immigration office.  //

You assume wrong :tongue:

People on yearly extension (marriage/retirement)

are on a Non-O visa, not a Non-OA :wink:

Of course still better to wait for an official announcement... if any comes.

It's another racket to force people to buy something they don't want or need and will never use. I've got money, damned if I'm going to haggle with an insurance company. Take as example that girl that smashed her head diving into a swimming pool. 

49 minutes ago, Rahibew said:

Those having Medicare it will not affect,,this is for people who doesn’t have any insurance at all and is a burden to Thailand’s generosity..

If you are talking about US Medicare, it isn't going to cover you overseas. 

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

You assume wrong :tongue:

People on yearly extension (marriage/retirement)

are on a Non-O visa, not a Non-OA :wink:

Of course still better to wait for an official announcement... if any comes.

And same goes for people on a Non B who have extended for reasons of retirement, I guess. But I don't think it will matter. If one visa group pays, all will pay.

Between a rock and a hard place. . . anyone Brit too old to get insurance cover here and cannot afford to fly back to the UK for treatment and pay 150% of any treatment under the NHS (to which many of us are still contributing via tax on our UK pensions).

Perhaps the answer is to slap on some burnt cork and hailing a passing refugee boat on its way to the welfare wonderland we helped create.

59 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Well, you're a good boy, aren't you.

Yes he is, a real teacher's pet. Bet he used to rat out all his mates when he was young. This type of poster annoys me more than the authorities do. A little what the people of an occupied country must feel when they have collaborators in their midst. I'm personally self-insured. I have a goodly amount in the bank here and in my home country to pay for any sort of medical treatment. I say this, not for the benefit of the Thais who don't care, but for my fellow farang who keep saying things like "About time!" and "Make the cheap-charlies pay" etc. Some of us prefer to self-insure.

I have been living in Thailand for over 14 years. I have had medical insurance and twice when I put in claims they were turned down for no reason. If they make it a law for retirement visa then I will be leaving Thailand and going back to live in America or Vietnam with my Thai wife. this is just a way for the crooked insurance companies to get richer and pay off the corrupt government for passing a unneeded law. When I need real medical care I go back to America or if it is minor I pay out of my pocket. 

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Bangkok Bank sell  a policy that provides the level of cover required for this proposed order, covering accident and medical. Costs around 4,000 baht a year. It is not going to cover serious medical treatments, but for those on an O-A it will do the job, because it offers the out patient and in patient levels specified in the OP.

EDIT: This is a very basic policy. I am only 54, so it may be higher for those older. If you have serious health issues, you probably require something more upmarket.

Bangkok Bank.. cover for 18 to 59 only..

15 minutes ago, MalandLee said:

I have suggested this before – I know that this forum is monitored. Governments of any persuasion like precedent. This suggestion has precedent in Europe.

COMPULSORY INSURANCE:

For ANY scheme to work (for all persons living here, regardless of type of stay) it needs to be both affordable and compulsory. If it remains focused on one visa type OR retains exemptions for -”You Name It” then it will not work – in any country.

ONE SOLUTION

Thailand adopt the minimum compulsory Schengen “style” (European) visa health insurance scheme. If it is "actuarially" sound in Europe, given their hospital costs it should be very profitable here.

Calculations (From Euro to Baht) – (Changes minute by minute – hence approx)

TOURISTS

30 million tourists (2015 figures 29.8 million) each with a compulsory health policy @ approx 700 baht each (19 euro) same as Schengen policy. The policy is about the same as Thai departure tax – A variety of “taxes” are added to airline tickets, depending on which country one travels too. Departure tax is currently added to an airline ticket to Thailand, so the facility exists to add another. Every person entering the country by air – NO EXCEPTIONS. - Cash at land borders.

Approx income:- twenty-one billion baht. You would not want those that cannot afford 19 euro anyhow?

Read the Schengen policy http://bit.ly/2g13ip3 Europe can do it, so can Thailand.

EXPATS

Long term visa, etc.. holders must pay regardless of age (Same price ALL age groups).

If we follow the “Schengen” example: About 1,100฿ each and every month (Paid in advance for the intended length of stay) – for full access to Thai public hospital system. Pr-existing conditions, same as Schengen policy.

EXAMPLE ONE:- (For whatever reason) You are granted a 1 year extension of stay.

You pay 1100 ฿ x 12 = 13,200 ฿ – you have the same access as any Thai Citizen, to the public health system.

EXAMPLE TWO:- Five Year Elite Visa 500,000฿. PLUS Insurance add on 13200 x 5 = 66000฿

Total cost 566,000฿ The option to upgrade exists – NO option to opt out. (Of course they could take the 13200฿ annually – it’s just an example)

This does not stop the rich having their own policy, or the THAI insurance companies offering an upgrade, to those that can afford more. But, it does not mean they can opt out of the compulsory system – To make it actuarially sound everyone must contribute.

For the sake of clarity, “actuarially” or economies of scale come into play. Hence one can ONLY add to a policy – if you want to stay here you must contribute.

"TOURIST" Cover is maximum 30,000 Euro or about 1,112,000.oo ฿

"EXPAT" Cover is public hospital - same status as any Thai.

5 hours ago, garyk said:

In Thailand, where the farang is an easy mark! You are confusing Thailand with countries that actually want expats to come and spend there retirement there,  There are other countries that offer that. Thailand?  never happen.

The MM2H scheme in Malaysia also requires medical insurance, but if it is applied for and declined, you still get the visa.

8 minutes ago, randy723 said:

I have had 7 Farang friends move to either Vietnam or Cambodia in the last year and at last 5 of my Farang friends and myself will not be renewing of retirement visa but moving out of Thailand FOREVER. 

You wrote, " If they make it a law for retirement visa then I will be leaving Thailand and going back to live in America or Vietnam with my Thai wife"  Did they make it a law already?

14 hours ago, DepDavid said:

And what about those over 60 who can’t get insurance?  Is there going to be a plan available for them?

As usual, like everything that they get themselves involved in, the Thai's have not thought this through. They probably have very little idea about what the current requirements are but thought it sounded like another good idea to charge the foreigners a bit more for the privilege of staying here. Not content with making us all meet the current rules, just keep adding rules.

I hope that once Brexit is sorted, whoever is running the UK will offer a similar reciprocal offer to all of the Thais staying in the UK, and given that the NHS is a public funded entity, the Thais should be forced to subscribe to someone like BUPA!

13 minutes ago, randy723 said:

I have had 7 Farang friends move to either Vietnam or Cambodia in the last year and at last 5 of my Farang friends and myself will not be renewing of retirement visa but moving out of Thailand FOREVER. 

Well, the additional hoops to jump through has made me look a lot more closely at central and south America. Much more of this additional paperwork and rigidity in the bureaucracy, and I'll even look at Mexico. Easier to be in the same hemisphere as the US, anyway. Time is the same and the flights back home shorter.

14 hours ago, BestB said:

What are the offers from Thai insurance? Last time i checked to get equally as good cover as my International is same if not more.

I am in early 40's and paying around 50 000 per year, and it does not include ODP, if i was to add ODP my premium would almost double.

Now why on earth do i need to have ODP?, its 600-1000 per visit, why on earth would i want to have insurance which only covers 400 000 hospitalization? Thats 2-3 nights in a decent hospital with a minor surgery, any thing more serious and surgery alone is 400 000 already 

Now for those on NON O, insurance premiums are almost double to what i am paying, All i can see is many packing up. Not saying one should not have insurance, but this policy will hurt a few pockets

Agreed, reason to force outpatient insurance 

Archived