Abusive 'Buddhist Camp' one of top 10 worst Sotus incidents of 2018

snoop1130

Abusive 'Buddhist Camp' one of top 10 worst Sotus incidents of 2018

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

41758832_1845992915454422_4458821024191873024_n-696x519.jpg

Engineering freshmen being hazed in the SOTUS tradition in September at Rambhai Barni Rajabhat University in Chanthaburi. Photo: Anti Sotus / Facebook

BANGKOK — From spleens being burst as a result of beatings and screaming university chants while rolling in mud, to an abusive religious camp where students were forced to stand reciting pledges until 5am, activists ranked the worst instances of hazing to break the news in 2018.

The anti-hazing watchdog Anti Sotus ranked the worst offenses of the hazing tradition of Strength, Order, Tradition, Unity and Spirit (SOTUS), in 2018, with four of the top ten involving high-school students.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/12/24/abusive-buddhist-camp-one-of-top-10-worst-sotus-incidents-of-2018/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-12-24

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

BANGKOK — From spleens being burst as a result of beatings and screaming university chants while rolling in mud, to an abusive religious camp where students were forced to stand reciting pledges until 5am, activists ranked the worst instances of hazing to break the news in 2018.

First up it should not be referred to as " hazing " .. That simply down plays what most normal thinking people would see as bullying or belittling .. Once its recognised as that then headway can be made against the perpetrators of such practices who think its fun to humiliate and denigrate .. 

On 12/25/2018 at 11:28 AM, Kittycat66 said:

Hmm i wonder i heard thai students dont study.

Good point and there's more, at many uni's who condode (deliberately ignore) the hazing activity large numbers of students (M and F) are pushed to join things like cheerleading teams and when inter-uni football matches etc., are coming up they spend many hours out of class time to practice their dancing routines, and professors are quietly told to say nothing to the said students and ensure they get good grades. 

I've even had students who are in the dancing practice ask for classes to be postponed, classes to be conducted a second time on the weekend et., for the students going to dancing practice.

And there is pressure on professors to do things like this, even through you are expected to conduct the classes according to the normal schedule then conduct the class again for no extra compensation.

I seem to recall 'dancing' is not the reason why I attended university. 

Archived