Drivers face blood tests for alcohol

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the cops wanted to enforce drink driving laws, just sit outside any random restaurant, and test everybody who drives out, i guarantee at least 80% wont pass, but thats to easy, the other thing is drink driving is a national pastime here, as the Thais have no fear of the cops or the consequences, my Thai neighbour tells me its 2000bt here in chiang mai to drive away from a checkpoint if your drunk, as long as you have the cash you can carry on lol!   

9 hours ago, webfact said:

DRIVERS suspected to be drunk will be forced to undergo blood tests for alcohol especially during the festive period.

These cowboys wont be sticking any needles into me that's for sure. Are they qualified medical practitioners now? The RTP never cease to amaze me with their capacity to diversify in their professional roles. Today 500 baht no license, tomorrow taking blood. 

Thumbs up to the boys in brown! :whistling:

KP.

28 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

I hope these "Blood Test's" will be undertaken by qualified medical people and not by Police staff ?

I don't think it would be cost effective to send

samples outside of Thailand to be tested

Also this could lead to honest results.

Can't be having that,  now can we.

TIT. :giggle:

I hope they use clean needles.

Last year I refused a breathalyzer test because as they were getting the cover to put on the machine, he dropped the box and they all fell onto the open filthy road. The officer picked them back up, many wet with black street sludge, put them in the box and put one of the covers on he machine for me to blow. I flat out refused and spoke to the supervisor telling him that unless they open a new box I wasn’t touching it. They let me go. I wasn’t drinking so it wasn’t an issue for me.

5 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Every year, year after year, we go through this circus, and every year they make more noise and better photo opportunities and come up with different clever ideas.

And every year there are more deaths.

No worries,   I will give them a call right away. 

clown.jpg

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Modern BAC testers are accurate to a fraction of a percent. If in calibration and with several tests performed they are as accurate as a blood test.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathalyzer#Breath_analyzer_myths

In the UK you can request a blood test after failing a BAC test to verify the results. Which is the way it should be. 

Breathalyser results aren't admissible in a UK court.

7 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

It's a shame that there isn't a blood test for stupidity.

If there was, the Thai police would be lining up awaiting their turn, with the Maj/Gens, Lt/Cols, and all the other stupid ranks they buy themselves.????

7 hours ago, quandow said:

Shouldn't it really be the Dangerous 365 days?

I am not disagreeing with you, I am always on this forum having a go at Thai drivers and riders.

But I must also point out that after about eight years of doing motorbike road trips around central Thailand, Isaan, and a good few times down through Bangkok and Pattaya, for the first time ever about three weeks ago, I passed by the scene of an obviously serious accident where the motorcyclist was lying on the road.

That tells me there are maybe not as many road accidents as is made out, as this is the only serious one I have

come across, or maybe I'm just lucky.

6 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Wow that should help a lot to reduce accidents - blood testing AFTER the accident.

I always find it absolutely stunning how many stupid people one meets on the roads here who should never be allowed to drive any kind of vehicle on any road - and that is the only thing that would make the roads here saver.

As well as the outdated road network that is 50 -100 years behind some other countries.

I always find it funny that whenever they try to copy things from other countries they forget why it is done there.

A blood test for the alcohol level is important in developed, civilized countries for the court case that usually follows an accident where people are injured or killed - and of course insurance.

When over the allowed limit kiss your insurance cover good bye blood tests are carried out because breathalyzers can be inaccurate.

Since a large percentage of people driving around here neither have a license or proper insurance what is the point of this exercise?

When the car of a friend of mine was hit by a drunk driver on a motorbike from behind it played out as follows.

Bike driver badly hurt as he was traveling absolutely drunk at high speed when he hit the car - he was taken to hospital my friend was later asked to come to the police station , family members of the bike rider sitting there crying he was told by the police that there was absolutely no fault on his side - BUT - he was told the poor family’s breadwinner would probably be in hospital for weeks without an income, It was not even sure if he could ever return to his job - he had no driving license nor insurance - So my friend was asked by the police in front of the crying family members if he would be so kind to shoulder the expenses for the repair of his car himself.

Absolute silence endured - with all eyes staring at him at the police station and the mother of the bike rider letting out a particularly loud sob at that moment - what could he have said? No ???

Blood tests or not as long as people in this country think the law is made for others but not for them - there is no point in this window dressing by the police.

The carnage will continue as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"what could he have said? No ???"  That's what I would have said, and another good reason to keep the bulk of your'e money in your'e own country where no plod can try and get some of it for an uninsured. or unlicenced driver or riders family, and also a good reason not to have 400.000 or 800.000 Baht in a Thai bank account.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"what could he have said? No ???"  That's what I would have said, and another good reason to keep the bulk of your'e money in your'e own country where no plod can try and get some of it for an uninsured. or unlicenced driver or riders family, and also a good reason not to have 400.000 or 800.000 Baht in a Thai bank account.

So, do you think a cop can get money out of your Bangkok Bank account? 

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am not disagreeing with you, I am always on this forum having a go at Thai drivers and riders.

But I must also point out that after about eight years of doing motorbike road trips around central Thailand, Isaan, and a good few times down through Bangkok and Pattaya, for the first time ever about three weeks ago, I passed by the scene of an obviously serious accident where the motorcyclist was lying on the road.

That tells me there are maybe not as many road accidents as is made out, as this is the only serious one I have

come across, or maybe I'm just lucky.

Try around the pattaya area next time.

loads to choose from 24-7.

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Thailand will do nothing of the sort.

they will bend the rules to fit the ATM withdrawal.

Try that in the uk and you will go to jail.

In Thailand you will just go home in or on the same vehicle with a smile and a Wai. 

"Try that in the uk and you will go to jail." Even if it's a government minister or MP? The difference is that in the UK, they have the brains to cover things up, where in Thailand, brains are in very short supply.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Try that in the uk and you will go to jail." Even if it's a government minister or MP? The difference is that in the UK, they have the brains to cover things up, where in Thailand, brains are in very short supply.

Are you trying to say they are a little bit dumb over here ? :giggle:

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

So, do you think a cop can get money out of your Bangkok Bank account? 

This is Thailand, anything can happen, the police can threaten you with paying out a certain amount of money for something of which you are innocent, but no one can get any money you do not have, besides there is only enough for living expenses in my Bangkok Bank account.

10 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Test them by peeing in the jar for drugs as well.

As for" deadly days " I nearly had 3 head ons this AM whilst taking the Daughter to School - all minivans full of waorkers on there way to Amata City

Using the term Workers, is a bit of an exaggeration,

come on, no need for that. :giggle:

Archived