Drivers face blood tests for alcohol

webfact

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

This is Thailand, anything can happen, the police can threaten you with paying out a certain amount of money for something of which you are innocent, but no one can get any money you do not have, besides there is only enough for living expenses in my Bangkok Bank account.

Ya I guess you're right.  My family would take money out of my bank in the States to get me out of jail.  Better to have relatives that would let you rot in a Thai prison. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They need to be calibrated and some try to cheat and not complete the test properly.

Blood tests are much more accurate and no cheating by the driver.

Glad to see they are doing this.

Hope all you DUI's enjoy having a needle stuck in your arm and a Thai jail cell....

But who will do the blood test. I sincerely hope that it is not some cop who hs just come from the bog without washing his hands.

Based on what I've heard over the last week or two around Hua Hin, the cops are out in force checking people with some kind of breathalyzer.

The price starts at 20,000 Baht but I've heard many people have got them down to 2000 but it took a Thai speaker to negotiate it this low. I've heard of others paying 5000 and 10,000.

It's only about money.

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

2am, leaving a bar is the most likely time and place you are likely to get stopped and breathalysed. Targetting.

In the UK, you cannot be prosecuted for failing the breathalyser. If you fail, you are taken to a police station and asked to breathe into a more sophisticated and accurate machine. If you fail that, a blood sample is taken (by a doctor) which is sent away to an accredited lab for analysis. If this shows that you are over the limit, then you are prosecuted. 

Sounds like Thailand is heading in the same direction. Is that a bad thing?

errr i dont know, ask Boss the Red Bull man.

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

But who will do the blood test. I sincerely hope that it is not some cop who hs just come from the bog without washing his hands.

And they will use the needles they collected from all the HIV drug abusers in town.

So, if that does not motivate one not to drive drunk, I guess nothing will

23 hours ago, oztaurus said:

I'm too lazy to look up the relevant posts but I am sure I have seen statistics that these "dangerous days" actually have a lower rate of fatalities per day than the normal daily average .... possibly due to the roads being so jam-packed that people can't travel fast enough to kill themselves (though total accident and non-fatal injury rates are probably higher)

That was the case in the UK during public holiday RTA statistics reporting on TV - years ago though.

23 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not a chance will I let any of those incompetent clowns stick a needle in my arm.

Absolutely i would only allow a qualified nurse or doctor to take my blood(as in the U.K )

23 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not a chance will I let any of those incompetent clowns stick a needle in my arm.

,not some copper.

22 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Wow that should help a lot to reduce accidents - blood testing AFTER the accident.

I always find it absolutely stunning how many stupid people one meets on the roads here who should never be allowed to drive any kind of vehicle on any road - and that is the only thing that would make the roads here saver.

As well as the outdated road network that is 50 -100 years behind some other countries.

I always find it funny that whenever they try to copy things from other countries they forget why it is done there.

A blood test for the alcohol level is important in developed, civilized countries for the court case that usually follows an accident where people are injured or killed - and of course insurance.

When over the allowed limit kiss your insurance cover good bye blood tests are carried out because breathalyzers can be inaccurate.

Since a large percentage of people driving around here neither have a license or proper insurance what is the point of this exercise?

When the car of a friend of mine was hit by a drunk driver on a motorbike from behind it played out as follows.

Bike driver badly hurt as he was traveling absolutely drunk at high speed when he hit the car - he was taken to hospital my friend was later asked to come to the police station , family members of the bike rider sitting there crying he was told by the police that there was absolutely no fault on his side - BUT - he was told the poor family’s breadwinner would probably be in hospital for weeks without an income, It was not even sure if he could ever return to his job - he had no driving license nor insurance - So my friend was asked by the police in front of the crying family members if he would be so kind to shoulder the expenses for the repair of his car himself.

Absolute silence endured - with all eyes staring at him at the police station and the mother of the bike rider letting out a particularly loud sob at that moment - what could he have said? No ???

Blood tests or not as long as people in this country think the law is made for others but not for them - there is no point in this window dressing by the police.

The carnage will continue as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well yes you could have said NO. I sure would! f em.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:26 AM, Youlike said:

And why no policestickers/colors on the motocycles?

Maybe they are trying to come across as being unmarked police vehicles, as the cops back in Oz have been doing for years ?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/can-you-pick-the-police-car/news-story/ba56eef09676bd6a15ce9c0409f1a330?sv=5d87d2568a33570973b423f04a58bea4

Archived