Practicing/Learning Cantonese

peterdwje2

Cantonese it's a regional dialect only spoken in Canton area (Macau, HK, Guangdong and some parts of Guangxi) hard to find some places teaching it outside that area..... your best chances to learn it are going to Canton and even there, good luck, it's quite hard, harder than Mandarin because the dialect is mostly based on sounds... good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jonzboy

You could try some online stuff, like here, or google Cecelia Gamst, or happy jellyfish.

They do Skype lessons.

But much depends on your requirements and experience so far.  I learnt my Cantonese in a formal classroom setting in Hong Kong many moons ago.  The planet has shrunk somewhat since...

Do you want just some informal learn to speak or more formal with grammar etc? do you speak Thai?

As about anyone knows, here in BKk over half of locals are somewhat chinese and many, many speak cantonnese-even as 1st lingo @ home-though many more the local dialect from Fujian (more north, along coast, between Guangzhou and SjangHai//Hangzhou). For just basic frases you should be able to find a few friends for that. However, most will not have formal knowledge as you learn in schools as it comes from the parents.

Thank you everyone, for your replies.

I have a very basic knowledge, from my parents, but lost it in an English environment. Just for personal reasons, I am interested in practicing informally, if I can find a social group with Cantonese-speaking members, or taking a formal group class if I can find one.

Archived