The UK round pork pie

Kwasaki

In the Makro that I use, the ready minced pork is not as good quality as the pork that my wife orders from the pork lady.

She can order it up to about 7 pm and it is delivered to the house the next morning by 6:30. She also orders a whole leg of pork that I use some for roasting and I the make my own honey and mustard ham, using Coleman's English mustard powder and Thai honey. 
Stop it pleeeeese!!![emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Do you dry or wet cure Bill, have you got the recipe please?

I usually dry cure now.

What recipe would you like?

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

I am partial to the loaf type pies as opposed to the round ones. I am fortunate that a friend makes them for me on occasion as I am not a great fan of Lady Pie products. I see it as one of my 'treats'. There is a place in Phuket that does nice kippers as well.

For those who find Colman's goes off buy it or the McGarrett powder in a tin and make it on an as need basis. I would be tempted to put the tin in an airtight bag once opened as it can go off in time. Mcgarrett also do a wasabi powder.

I have a very large tin of Coleman's and after I use it I always sellotape the lid back on to stop air getting in. It seems to work for me so far.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The main difficulty I found here is obtaining the lard.

I buy pork fat from makro, cut it into 1" pieces and render it down overnight in a slow cooker. Let it cool a little, pass it through a metal sieve into jars then refrigerate - keeps in the fridge for months.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:49 PM, billd766 said:

In the Makro that I use, the ready minced pork is not as good quality as the pork that my wife orders from the pork lady.

Yes, that's true. I do try to pick bits of mince that have the least fat in them and it seems to work OK for me. I do the same thing for paté.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:02 PM, chickenslegs said:

I buy pork fat from makro, cut it into 1" pieces and render it down overnight in a slow cooker. Let it cool a little, pass it through a metal sieve into jars then refrigerate - keeps in the fridge for months.

Yes, I tried that once. My condo smelt of pig for a week (and it wasnt just me)!

Certainly a suitable option for anyone with a ventilated cooking area though.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, I tried that once. My condo smelt of pig for a week (and it wasnt just me)!

Certainly a suitable option for anyone with a ventilated cooking area though.

My wife cooks it outside, in a wok on a small burner.

She also has a catapult and some clay rounds ready for the odd wandering dog who get nosy over the smell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Lantern said:

Don't mind the long ones either, with the egg inside.

image.jpeg.a6338c45802dc810288210c48ed7df5f.jpeg

I made a couple of them in December for a party. 1 got eaten and I sliced and froze the other 1.

When I defrosted the slices, the meat and crust was OK but the defrosted egg was horrible.

58 minutes ago, billd766 said:

To whom should I donate it?

I didn't see the guys from the party for 3 weeks, and there is only me at home to eat it and I am not going to throw it away.

Me, biatch! Thats a Godlike creation!

Ya know what I just thought of....Bracciole....

Archived