Thailand approves medical marijuana in New Year's 'gift'

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, dickjones2018 said:

" a country which until the 1930s had a tradition of using marijuana to relieve pain and fatigue, "

so who or what made them make it illegal ...  USA? with DEA while it was the CIA importing most of the cocaine & heroine into the country to go make war on other countries...

There is a fairly good article in The Diplomat, describing the changes to drug policy in TH after the Vietnam war:

-> https://thediplomat.com/2018/04/thailands-legendary-marijuana/

But yes, as was already mentioned above, it was Uncle Sam and their extremely successful war on drugs.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Shiver said:

If there's a day where it becomes an optional topping on a pizza menu, then the future suddenly looks bright.

becasue it would make even a Thai Pizza tasty. Finished it for you.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

The country where I reside mostly (for now), recently legalized recreational weed. But prior to that, I had work related cause to spend a few days and evenings in a town that had several "medical dispensaries". My work was right next door to one of these dispensaries. I was totally amazed at the steady parade of persons, all about age 25 to 30, who traipsed in and out of this facility, seemingly getting their fix for whatever ailed them at such a young age.

When I lived in Holland I was surprised at the range of people in line to buy some hash/weed in coffee shops, everything from the 'obvious' type to business people, professionals, housewives, students. Never saw any 'young' people, but that could have something to do with the law requiring 18 years of age to purchase. After 50 years of trying, I'm still trying to find something negative about weed...

26 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Bit confused now.  Is this whole product or just non THC extract?

Time will tell, won't it? :)

Either they can get real strict and require commercial extracts (of the "not high" type) or they can simply allow any doctor to prescribe weed and allow dispensaries to open nationwide (along the California model). This would be open for loads of "abuse" since Thais love to skate around the rules.

Forbes says that this includes kratom too, so I'll bet they go for the California model:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarabrittanysomerset/2018/12/25/thailand-legalizes-medical-marijuana-and-kratom/

The glory of medical mj in the US is the taxes.

A certain US state, which now has legal recreational mj, started their medical mj program long ago.  It was originally for only 2 things: glaucoma and dealing with chemotherapy treatments.  They opened it up for more types of treatment, and it eventually reached around 50,000 medical permits.  At $200 per year, that's an impressive pile!  Even more conservative states are considering it.

Will Thailand start selling vaporizers for it?

image.jpeg.21da6a8c7c11f010c5d1d62e80980e09.jpeg

Any idea how long before we see legit operations with hundreds of strains and CBD too with doctors who actually have some idea of what strains are worth trying for your ailment? Am I going to be able to go to Bumrungrad soon and talk to a doctor about marijuana and CBD as a treatment? If so, this will be a game changer for Thailand. For once, becoming the 'hub' of something that actually matters. People will fly in from all over Asia for extended treatment. Best news I've seen in a ThaiVisa news alert in about 10 years too!

2 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

It would be nice to see a list of what ailments you need to get this legally. Another list that would be nice to have is where to purchase from said legal dispensaries.

Yes, that's what I guess a lot of people are wondering. Is it going to be limited to severe health conditions or will doctor's be able to use their own discretion? And is high level of THC permitted or CBD only? Will be very interesting to see.

50 minutes ago, Faikham said:

If by "money parasites" you mean people who will provide it to society at a cost that rewards their investment and efforts, I'd say we need to get them in!

As with everything in Thailand, the question is: which well positioned/connected family(s) will be given national distribution or licencing rights.  Once that is determined, only the obscene amount of entitled "free" baht (y=fx) will be of any concern.

1 minute ago, CanuckThai said:

As with everything in Thailand, the question is: which well positioned/connected family(s) will be given national distribution or licencing rights.  Once that is determined, only the obscene amount of entitled "free" baht (y=fx) will be of any concern.

Yes you are probably right, but maybe for once something will be done with some sense of equal opportunity in this country.

7 minutes ago, ChiangMaiThai said:

Any idea how long before we see legit operations with hundreds of strains and CBD too with doctors who actually have some idea of what strains are worth trying for your ailment? Am I going to be able to go to Bumrungrad soon and talk to a doctor about marijuana and CBD as a treatment? If so, this will be a game changer for Thailand. For once, becoming the 'hub' of something that actually matters. People will fly in from all over Asia for extended treatment. Best news I've seen in a ThaiVisa news alert in about 10 years too!

And get arrested for being stoned on their way out

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just remember, according to recent news reports here, when the government types obtained some marijuana from the Thai police to use for testing purposes, the results came back with all kinds of pesticide and heavy metals contamination. Obviously, that seized weed came from illegal sources who knows where.

Hopefully, they'll clean up their act by the time any official, legal production of the weed begins here. But since they can't even get harmful pesticide residues out of the veggies that are sold in supermarkets here, even the so-called organic types, I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Easily avoided if grown under lights with proper ventilation,and a sealed enviroment i know this well as i used to do it back in Aus,no pests can get in,so no need for pesticides,Ant's however are a real problem here in Thailand as i am sure we all know,stopping them will be harder as certain species actually cultivate scale and aphids on plants,however it is a tough plant,and would be able to be grown year round in this climate.

Must say i am pleasantly surprised at this move,let's hope they go the whole way,the money the govt could make would be a lot as shown in states in USA which have fully legalised it.

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

But in Thailand, the main controversy with legalisation involved patent requests by foreign firms that could allow them to dominate the market, making it harder for Thai patients to access medicines and for Thai researchers to access marijuana extracts.

Just how do they get away with patenting a herb?  But they do.

4 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

hopefully people with a medical symptom can grow their own

Very much doubt it because too hard to tax.  However if the govt really wanted to give a gift to the people that would be the sensible thing to do but this is not about helping the people its about making money out of them.

Cannabis is actually not a drug, it is a powerful adaptagen.  Cannabis is biologically non toxic to humans. The only way to die from using it is choking on the stuff. The war on drugs and pharmaceutical companies have created the mess of brain washing/stereotyping the world that this is evil stuff.  Definately not for minors or alcoholics, still is not fatal though.

6 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

When I lived in Holland I was surprised at the range of people in line to buy some hash/weed in coffee shops, everything from the 'obvious' type to business people, professionals, housewives, students. Never saw any 'young' people, but that could have something to do with the law requiring 18 years of age to purchase. After 50 years of trying, I'm still trying to find something negative about weed...

I know there are cons to using cannabis but I can't remember what they are.  

Archived