Red Wine bargain in Phuket

xylophone

21 minutes ago, schlog said:

Thanks xylo catched some bottles for 327 baht......1 last bottle to go

line_1545798017886.jpg

Good to hear..............but there are others dotted around the place schlog if you look for them. Some on the big/main shelves and a lot more in the small "Tescos Finest" small area between the bakery and the Pharmacy.

Good hunting.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
12 hours ago, schlog said:

Not wine but some real good beers are reduced by 50-70% at Makro Patong. Like Korbinian. One of the best Doppelbock beers. Usually about ~200 baht per bottle now there only 85 baht. 

line_1569037516060.jpg

13 hours ago, schlog said:

Not wine but some real good beers are reduced by 50-70% at Makro Patong. Like Korbinian. One of the best Doppelbock beers. Usually about ~200 baht per bottle now there only 85 baht. 

line_1569037516060.jpg

They seem to have been doing this at many of their stores; clearing stock I should think. I stocked up at Kata a couple of times, though missed the Fullers beers on offer at 65 baht!

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

They seem to have been doing this at many of their stores; clearing stock I should think. I stocked up at Kata a couple of times, though missed the Fullers beers on offer at 65 baht!

Probably getting ready for the Oktoberfest beers that should be available soon

Thanks for the share

• 4 weeks later...

Supercheap in Phuket offers great wine prices. I live in NST. Even if I drive down and buy a dozen mixed wines, the travel cost makes it not worthwhile.

Can you order wine online, from any distributors?

Edited by paddypower
grammar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, paddypower said:

Supercheap in Phuket offers great wine prices. I live in NST. Even if I drive down and buy a dozen mixed wines, the travel cost makes it not worthwhile.

Can you order wine online, from any distributors?

You can order online from Tesco and their real wine stars at 349 b a bottle!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Found yesterday at Tops in new Central in Town this Rioja. Right now at 895 baht what i guess is cheap compared with 700 baht this wine costs in Austria. 

Great new find in the beer section. Schneider Weisse Aventinus. One of best Doppelbock Weizen on this planet.

Screenshot_20191212-093335_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, schlog said:

Found yesterday at Tops in new Central in Town this Rioja. Right now at 895 baht what i guess is cheap compared with 700 baht this wine costs in Austria. 

Great new find in the beer section. Schneider Weisse Aventinus. One of best Doppelbock Weizen on this planet.

Thanks for the tip Schlog, always nice to get feedback on different wines.

I was a great fan of Rioja Gran Reserva at one time in my life, however seem to have moved away from them to more fruit driven wines, this especially as some of these wines can seem a little bereft of fruit – – or maybe it's my palate that has changed!

I'm not a great beer drinker so your comments about the beer are completely lost on me, sad to say.

I'm just finishing the last few bottles of an Italian wine from Veneto, called Gran Verosso (Gold edition) which I managed to get from an importer at a discounted price, but no more I'm afraid so I'm going to have to look around for another wine which is fairly unique in the way that it's made.

Good hunting and keep up the feedback.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, schlog said:

How much were the beers and were they 500 ml, or some other size?  Would be nice to find a great beer at a decent price!

8 hours ago, steelepulse said:

How much were the beers and were they 500 ml, or some other size?  Would be nice to find a great beer at a decent price!

Only 0.33l and not cheap with 159 baht. 

Best bet for good beer for a better price is makro. Like Korbinian 0.5l for 169 baht.

But compared with europe where you pay only 35-50 baht for the best beers it's a sad beer story here lol.

21 minutes ago, schlog said:

Only 0.33l and not cheap with 159 baht. 

Best bet for good beer for a better price is makro. Like Korbinian 0.5l for 169 baht.

But compared with europe where you pay only 35-50 baht for the best beers it's a sad beer story here lol.

Thanks.  Yes I agree about the crazy pricing on decent to good beers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 8:27 AM, xylophone said:

Depends upon your taste and what you've been used to drinking!

I see that the OZ wine "Bushman's Gully" is back on the shelves and in its early days it didn't have fruit juice added, but now it seems that it has.

You can only but try and see or, try the cheaper wines from Tesco Lotus (the Vineyard series at 349 b a bottle), or Wolf Blass is available at 399 b a bottle, and a few from Sth America called "Brisa" are around the same price.

Thank for your advice. And Merry Christmas

Can you find any of them as BiB (bag in box wine)?

25 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Thank for your advice. And Merry Christmas

Can you find any of them as BiB (bag in box wine)?

The BIB wines are the wines which have the fruit juice added, although Bushmans Gully could be one of the better ones??

Merry Christmas to you as well.

• Thanks 1

it's been a long time, its crazy that no one has had the brain power to create a wine in a box business with actual wine that is also drinkable

We've sent ppl on the moon, we can video chat with people across the world with no lag but we cant have half decent boxwine in thailand!?

Cmon entrepreneurs!

whoever figures this out will be a multi millionaire.

Edited by bearpolar

11 hours ago, bearpolar said:

it's been a long time, its crazy that no one has had the brain power to create a wine in a box business with actual wine that is also drinkable

We've sent ppl on the moon, we can video chat with people across the world with no lag but we cant have half decent boxwine in thailand!?

Cmon entrepreneurs!

whoever figures this out will be a multi millionaire.

Well there were some available in the "early days" and of course they were of low quality (no-one puts a good wine in a plastic bag, in a box) and the tax made them as expensive as the better wines!

Adding fruit juice to the mix ensured a lower tax applied, therefore cheaper to the consumer and that's how it all started.......the tax laws have changed now which is why the BIB wines went up in price!!!

So now, no real benefit to for a winemaker/company to put wine in a plastic bag/box, unless it is for domestic consumption, whereby it is extremely cheap, and very often seen at BBQs and the like, so no new millionaires to be made in Thailand I'm afraid.

Now if the Govt decided to alter the punitive taxes on imported wine...........that would be a different story.

Tut-tut, must be getting old, because I can't remember where I posted about a Penfold's 2016 wine called MAX'S which I found here.

Obviously it is celebrating Max Schubert, who was responsible for producing "Grange Hermitage" (as it was called then – – just plain "Grange" now) and which became one of Australias best known wines.

Anyway the point was that I spied it in one of my wine shops for 1800 baht a bottle, but then scouring the shelves in Tescos I found it at 899 baht a bottle and I wanted to let anyone who would be interested in it, know about the find.

Searching around a little more it appears that my first wine shop must have mis-priced it at 1800 baht a bottle, because it is priced elsewhere at 899 baht a bottle.

Tried it the other night and.......... and it's going through what I believe is its "dumb phase", that is where wine is so big and complex that it hasn't had time to merge basic components, or to reveal its depth of flavours and character.

So although I could tell it was a well-made wine and had great potential, I really couldn't get to the bottom of it, so to speak, even after decanting it for about an hour.

I believe this will be drinking well in many years to come, but for drinking now, IMO, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...