Red Wine bargain in Phuket

xylophone

My favorite red under 1k in the moment is this Primitivo.

Makro Town 989 baht.

Makro Patong 965 baht.

Makro Thalang 925 baht.

Btw right now the selection of beer/wine in Makro Patong is very limited compared to some month ago. Totally opposite to Makro Thalang which is now good.

1579609919736.jpg

Edited by schlog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

If you like that wine you will probably like one by JJ McWilliams, the Shiraz Cabernet or the Cabernet Merlot, and at 390 baht a bottle in my local small "supermarket", I don't believe that quality can be beaten for the price.

At the moment my favourite everyday drinker is the "Hopes End" which is a blend of Shiraz, Grenache and Malbec or Petit Verdot and at 440 baht a bottle is for my palate, a winner.????

Agree. The McWilliams is decent value (for Thailand) and I'll probably pick up a couple of bottles of Hopes End later today in Promphan. I sometimes see the Lindemans Premier Selection Shiraz Cabernet in Villa at 500 baht and that's a cut above the McWilliams in my opinion. It's 900 baht on Wishbeer so a reasonable price.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for information guys... Really not easy to find good value for money in Phuket for wine lover (coming from Croatia & Hong Kong), so I'm grateful for your interesting inputs... Currently I'm stuck in Racha island with local shop selling Jacob's Creek Shi+Cab for 1300thb lol (our own fault, planned to buy wines in Chalong before our ferry departure, but totally forgot about morning alcohol sales ban, lol)...  Later when I'm back in Kata (and Patong) I'll check for those wines & deals you guys mentioned... Not sure what are import restrictions, but we will bring few bottles s next time when we fly in (my dad found Yellow Tail in HK for only 115bht... not to mention our delicious home wines in Europe are dirt cheap)... Cheers, Alex

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Thanks for information guys... Really not easy to find good value for money in Phuket for wine lover (coming from Croatia & Hong Kong), so I'm grateful for your interesting inputs... Currently I'm stuck in Racha island with local shop selling Jacob's Creek Shi+Cab for 1300thb lol (our own fault, planned to buy wines in Chalong before our ferry departure, but totally forgot about morning alcohol sales ban, lol)...  Later when I'm back in Kata (and Patong) I'll check for those wines & deals you guys mentioned... Not sure what are import restrictions, but we will bring few bottles s next time when we fly in (my dad found Yellow Tail in HK for only 115bht... not to mention our delicious home wines in Europe are dirt cheap)... Cheers, Alex

Jeez, that's expensive even for here!!

When you get back here look on the net for Promphan; a little supermarket not far from Central that has a great range of wines from all over the world, and generally much cheaper than any other place.

Also post on here and I'm sure a few posters will give you the names of a few good value wines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Found another couple of wines for consideration..............

There is a new range in Villa Market in Chalong from Salisbury's wines in Australia (Murray Darling Basin I think) and they are competitively priced at about 420 baht a bottle, however haven't tried one yet.

Also noticed the Gossips range at 399 baht a bottle, and these are not fruit juice wines.

On a separate but related note, my favourite little wine store, Promphan, has a new range in from McWilliams wines, called Hanwood Estate and I've tried both the Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz and for me, the Cabernet Sauvignon just edges the Shiraz with regards to fruit, nose and palate. Good wines for 445 baht a bottle, however for me the pick is still Hopes End at 440 baht a bottle, even though that is priced at 519 baht a bottle at Villa Market!

The Wolf Blass range of lower end wines at 399 baht a bottle still represent good value, especially from such a respected producer, and although they are a bit more one-dimensional than the ones I've just mentioned, still great for pizza, pastas and barbecues etc.

Bought a Gossips Merlot yesterday. I'll report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Not a very interesting wine, though I've tasted worse. Wouldn't buy it again, even at 400 baht.

I have found that with many cheaper Merlots MM, although the Cabs and Shiraz hold up a bit better.......and the new stock of Hanwood Estate, IMO, is certainly worth a try.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have found that with many cheaper Merlots MM, although the Cabs and Shiraz hold up a bit better.......and the new stock of Hanwood Estate, IMO, is certainly worth a try.

I'll try one of the others. Have you tried the Hopes End Cab Sauv yet? I'd be interesteed in your opinion.

29 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I'll try one of the others. Have you tried the Hopes End Cab Sauv yet? I'd be interesteed in your opinion.

Yes, I have tried the Hopes End Cabernet Sauvignon (barrel aged) and the first bottle I tried I wasn't overly impressed with, so I gave it a couple of months and tried another one just the other day, and I think the secret with this is to let it breathe a little, and much like its other Hopes End, it does seem to improve when it's been opened a while, even the next day.

Be interested in your opinion.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes, I have tried the Hopes End Cabernet Sauvignon (barrel aged) and the first bottle I tried I wasn't overly impressed with, so I gave it a couple of months and tried another one just the other day, and I think the secret with this is to let it breathe a little, and much like its other Hopes End, it does seem to improve when it's been opened a while, even the next day.

Be interested in your opinion.

I liked it and it's a bargain at 440 baht in Promphan. Quite fruity, reasonable body and most importantly it tasted good! I don't do Jilly Goolden style wine descriptions, I either like it or I don't! My definition of a decent wine is one I'd buy again and I've had two of these so it's on my list.

I always let red wines breathe by default; I keep them in the fridge then take the cap off for 45 minutes or so while they reach a drinkable temperature!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I liked it and it's a bargain at 440 baht in Promphan. Quite fruity, reasonable body and most importantly it tasted good! I don't do Jilly Goolden style wine descriptions, I either like it or I don't! My definition of a decent wine is one I'd buy again and I've had two of these so it's on my list.

I always let red wines breathe by default; I keep them in the fridge then take the cap off for 45 minutes or so while they reach a drinkable temperature!

Is it a fruit blend? That works out as $21 Oz dollars. Wouldn't touch it going to Oz shortly and that amount gets me a very nice drop indeed 

30 minutes ago, madmitch said:

No, not a fruit blend.

Shiraz 41%, Grenache 39%, Malbec 12%, Petit Verdot 8% is the 2017 vintage blend, although I am sure that earlier vintages played around with the grape mix a little.

Sells for about $13.00 in Oz, and for my money probably the best value wine here, price and quality wise.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 3:39 PM, xylophone said:

You might be lucky as they have got a few new "exotic" spirits in now........

No spanish brandy at supercheap. So the search goes on lol.

But they have some nice whiskys for a good price. Like Glenmorangie 18 years for only 4445 baht.....

Edited by schlog
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, schlog said:

No spanish brandy at supercheap. So the search goes on lol.

But they have some nice whiskys for a good price. Like Glenmorangie 18 years for only 4445 baht.....

ONLY 4445 baht!!!! Lucky I don't like whisky!

• Haha 2