Red Wine bargain in Phuket

xylophone

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Was in Big C Jungceylon the other day and they had put up the price of the McWilliams so I tried a Wolf Blas Eaglehawk Merlot at B399 instead. Very nice and now quite as heavy. Got another couple of bottles in Prompham today for B388 plus tax each.

Yes the Eaglehawk range is good value IMO, and with Wolf Blass you really can't go wrong even with their "budget wines".

On 1/15/2021 at 10:40 AM, xylophone said:

That's interesting MM so might be worth a look for non-budget wines?

Was at Wine Pro today. Would say the biggest selection they have is in the 550-1000 baht price range. Shown price are exc. tax.

I like that shop style and will buy again if i'm happy with my bought wines from today. BTW they also have some nice cold cuts.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

No, it has nothing to do with the color.
After the harvest, the bottling is done within 3 months.
It tastes slightly sour and a bit sparkling.
Lovers of real wines must have tasted it during their visit to the cellars of grands crus or small winegrowers.
We like it or we don't.
I do not like.

32 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Thankfully not :0

When I was playing senior amateur football in the UK, the team manager/coach would not allow any drinking the night before a game, and was a stickler about it. We were being paid to play, so I suppose he was in his rights to do that.

However, when we would be waiting for the team coach to pick us up to take us to our matches in London, the team manager would allow us to drink a small glass of Stones Ginger Wine, because he said it was not alcoholic and was a bit of a tonic, and was especially welcome when the weather was cold.

I've just found out that it is an alcoholic drink and the manager didn't know that, so it's a comforting thought to know that I got one up on the manager, especially as he would often smell players breaths to see if they had been drinking the night before!!!

After all these years........

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:35 AM, xylophone said:

I've just found out that it is an alcoholic drink

:drunk:

From their website":

"STONE'S ORIGINAL GREEN GINGER WINE

Once you try this delicious elixir you will be hooked…for life. Stone's Original Green Ginger Wine is a unique, and some may say "cult like" beverage. Our Ginger Master selects the finest quality ginger roots which are harvested and sent to the Stone's winery where the magic really happens. (We can’t tell you our special secrets, but we can say the result is pure and unique ginger goodness.) Stone's Original Green Ginger Wine is rich golden brown in colour with a powerful pungent ginger aroma. This spicy character follows on the palate where its zing and zest are quite noticeable, moderated by a softening sweetness.  Warming you on the inside from the tip of your tongue to the bottom of your toes it is perfect on its own or in one of the many recipes and cocktails. Alcohol - 13.9% alc. vol."

I'm hooked.  :crying:

You would have thought, with all the available ginger grown here (which I love with Esaan sausages), that someone would make some local wine from it. Maybe they do and I just don't know about it. Time for some googling...

PS. JJ McWilliams Shiraz is 420 at Villa Market. If it was a good buy at 399 in Big C, it's a better buy for Rawai locals at 420! 
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

:drunk:

From their website":

"STONE'S ORIGINAL GREEN GINGER WINE

Once you try this delicious elixir you will be hooked…for life. Stone's Original Green Ginger Wine is a unique, and some may say "cult like" beverage. Our Ginger Master selects the finest quality ginger roots which are harvested and sent to the Stone's winery where the magic really happens. (We can’t tell you our special secrets, but we can say the result is pure and unique ginger goodness.) Stone's Original Green Ginger Wine is rich golden brown in colour with a powerful pungent ginger aroma. This spicy character follows on the palate where its zing and zest are quite noticeable, moderated by a softening sweetness.  Warming you on the inside from the tip of your tongue to the bottom of your toes it is perfect on its own or in one of the many recipes and cocktails. Alcohol - 13.9% alc. vol."

I'm hooked.  :crying:

You would have thought, with all the available ginger grown here (which I love with Esaan sausages), that someone would make some local wine from it. Maybe they do and I just don't know about it. Time for some googling...

PS. JJ McWilliams Shiraz is 420 at Villa Market. If it was a good buy at 399 in Big C, it's a better buy for Rawai locals at 420! 

Continuing the thread-jack I make Ginger Beer (before the white knight's start about brewing being illegal don't bother- I don't care!)- its very simple and only needs a few ingredients. Takes 2-3 weeks.

Wine would be a bit  more finicky given the temperatures here but its probably doable. The ginger beer has a bit of a kick (the hydrometer sank????) and its quite refreshing when chilled down. 

A number of the items needed can be sources within country, others can be easily adapted (think 6 litre water bottle with a hole cut in the top for an airlock).

I'm considering making some Mead next as I have access to good Thai honey at a good price. If it doesn't work so what- trial and error is the way ahead.

PM me for details to avoid any accusations of colluding in doing something naughty on the Forum if you want to know where to source the bits from a well-known online site. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Continuing the thread-jack I make Ginger Beer (before the white knight's start about brewing being illegal don't bother- I don't care!)- its very simple and only needs a few ingredients.

Replying to the continued thread-jack, that's a dämn good idea! I'm going to give it a go! I just bought some bottles of Bundaberg ginger beer today. I bought a load of different types weeks ago including cans of Old Jamaica from Villa. But they just don't have the punch of Stones ginger wine. Time to do some googling "how to make ginger beer...".

4 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Continuing the thread-jack I make Ginger Beer (before the white knight's start about brewing being illegal don't bother- I don't care!)- its very simple and only needs a few ingredients. Takes 2-3 weeks.

Well I will just stray off the beaten track with this, before getting back onto "red wine bargain in Phuket" thread.

Regarding ginger beer, I remember as a kid friends used to give us a "ginger beer plant" which was something in a large glass container, and we were told to "feed it" to get some ginger beer from it. Of course my mum/dad did this and they liked the ginger beer, but I never got a chance to try any, and I wonder if that was alcoholic or was it something else?

• Like 1

Now getting back onto the WINE subject........ 

I went to the new very large store, Wine Pro in Cherngtalay, to see what it was like and I was very surprised at the price of the wines because for some reason I thought they were going to be expensive, but not so.

There was a French Cotes du Rhone for 520 baht (plus VAT) which makes it a very good buy, especially as it has a good write-up online.

There was also an everyday swigging Aussie red from South-east Australia at 420 baht (plus VAT) and an Italian Primitivo for 490 baht (plus), as well as a Cabernet Merlot from Margaret River on special for 599 baht, as well as plenty of Chilean wines starting at 400 baht!

I will have to go up there again with the intention of buying a case of mixed wine to be able to sample them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

Now getting back onto the WINE subject........ 

I went to the new very large store, Wine Pro in Cherngtalay, to see what it was like and I was very surprised at the price of the wines because for some reason I thought they were going to be expensive, but not so.

There was a French Cotes du Rhone for 520 baht (plus VAT) which makes it a very good buy, especially as it has a good write-up online.

There was also an everyday swigging Aussie red from South-east Australia at 420 baht (plus VAT) and an Italian Primitivo for 490 baht (plus), as well as a Cabernet Merlot from Margaret River on special for 599 baht, as well as plenty of Chilean wines starting at 400 baht!

I will have to go up there again with the intention of buying a case of mixed wine to be able to sample them.

If you buy a dozen they will give you a "membership card" and invite you to tastings and such.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, xylophone said:

Well I will just stray off the beaten track with this, before getting back onto "red wine bargain in Phuket" thread.

Regarding ginger beer, I remember as a kid friends used to give us a "ginger beer plant" which was something in a large glass container, and we were told to "feed it" to get some ginger beer from it. Of course my mum/dad did this and they liked the ginger beer, but I never got a chance to try any, and I wonder if that was alcoholic or was it something else?

Yes it would have been very lightly alcoholic - also sometimes called a mother 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 9:40 AM, eezergood said:

If you buy a dozen they will give you a "membership card" and invite you to tastings and such.......

Thinking about the WINE PRO shop, someone must have spent a huge amount of money on that place, because it is a custom-built large store, immaculately designed with tasting rooms and also has a freezer full of delicacies, not to mention case upon cases of wine.

It must have been planned before Covid, because I doubt that anyone would build and open a place like that when there were no tourists around, unless of course it was specifically meant to satisfy the resident expats in that part of Phuket?

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thinking about the WINE PRO shop, someone must have spent a huge amount of money on that place, because it is a custom-built large store, immaculately designed with tasting rooms and also has a freezer full of delicacies, not to mention case upon cases of wine.

It must have been planned before Covid, because I doubt that anyone would build and open a place like that when there were no tourists around, unless of course it was specifically meant to satisfy the resident expats in that part of Phuket?

It was a furniture shop for years then empty for quite a while. They fitted it out but did not build it. Also, given its location and the fact that it only sells wine by the case, it is aimed at expat residents.

Edited by stuarty
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuarty said:

It was a furniture shop for years then empty for quite a while. they fitted it out but did not build it

Thanks for the info, and they must have spent a fortune on the fit out, because it looks absolutely immaculate inside.

That hope they can shift some wine to make the investment worthwhile.

22 hours ago, xylophone said:

They were in Chalong but got forced out due to the landowner hiking the rents (she also forced out the Wine Connection branch). Apparently this was a deliberate ploy as she want to demolish the whole complex and build a condo. I would guess they've moved all the purpose built racks etc. lock stock and barrel from here.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have found some great red and white wine bargains available here in Phuket (although in short supply), so here are the details, and a contact name and number...and she will deliver but there is a min order I believe.

Gorrawan K. Sodsai ( Anne )
Marketing Account Executive Mobile: 081 022 9581
Email : [email protected] 

image.thumb.png.454825baf358e9b6390645841e640971.png

image.thumb.png.4d8e6bbc64a71683822fb710007d06b6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strongly advise wine drinkers to research how wine is produced. Nightmare of immature grapes, forced production , chemicals, female hormones, additives, colourants, flavourings, preservatives etc. Triumph of Quantity & Profit & BS Marketing over Quality & Truth. Exceptions are small remote independent vineyards, like Argentine Malbecs, natural products with strong anti-oxididants & useful minerals. Wine being Alcoholic is essentially Poison. Moderation with High Quality Wine advised.

Avoid with Fatty Liver or Obesity or Liver Disease / Diabetes awaits... Impossible to lose Weight drinking any Alcohol or Sugars....... body floods with Insulin. Wine Addiction common in Phuket. People fooling themselves it’s “ healthy” alcohol (doesn’t exist).Tragic death of Yorkshire Hotel Owner recalled......(liver failed).

Any Troll responders / alcohol supportes are invited to pound sand & will be reported .....

dangers of alcohol being widely accepted.....

Fyi I do enjoy with food an occasional euro beer or margarita... no teetotaler extremist ... !

Just inviting drinkers to get educated and be cautious.......and of course not to drive after too much....

Good Health to All ! 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Strongly advise wine drinkers to research how wine is produced. Nightmare of immature grapes, forced production , chemicals, female hormones, additives, colourants, flavourings, preservatives etc. Triumph of Quantity & Profit & BS Marketing over Quality & Truth. Exceptions are small remote independent vineyards, like Argentine Malbecs, natural products with strong anti-oxididants & useful minerals. Wine being Alcoholic is essentially Poison. Moderation with High Quality Wine advised.

Avoid with Fatty Liver or Obesity or Liver Disease / Diabetes awaits... Impossible to lose Weight drinking any Alcohol or Sugars....... body floods with Insulin. Wine Addiction common in Phuket. People fooling themselves it’s “ healthy” alcohol (doesn’t exist).Tragic death of Yorkshire Hotel Owner recalled......(liver failed).

Any Troll responders / alcohol supportes are invited to pound sand & will be reported .....

Fyi I do enjoy with food an occasional euro beer or margarita... no teetotaler extremist ... !

Just inviting drinkers to get educated and be cautious.......and of course not to drive after too much....

Good Health to All ! 

While I say I respect your  right to express an opinion I view your post as some  variant of  wowser  tosh ! Or  you are/were  <deleted> !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Nightmare of immature grapes, forced production , chemicals, female hormones, additives, colourants, flavourings, preservatives etc.

Please give links to your assertions that "immature grapes" can cause a problem also a link to the female hormones being used. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Good Health to All ! 

May we assume that you only consume animal and vegetable products that you raise yourself, free of any chemicals, enhancements, preservatives, pesticides, etc?  All food products in the normal food supply chain contain the kind of chemicals and additives that you mention. Even those products that are claimed to be "organic" may contain some amount of the above.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, schlog said:

McWilliams at Big C today 399 baht. Last weeks always 468 baht.

Also in Phuket's Villa Market, Chalong - same price. I just had a bottle and am surprised I can type this report.  drunk.gif.9ed87b935a010c47d60f896e537c38f3.gif 

Must go tomorrow and get a few more. 

Edited by JetsetBkk
Added Chalong

11 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Also in Phuket's Villa Market, Chalong - same price. I just had a bottle and am surprised I can type this report.  drunk.gif.9ed87b935a010c47d60f896e537c38f3.gif 

Must go tomorrow and get a few more. 

Yes, not a bad drop for the price and I occasionally buy it from Promphan.

• Like 1