My Wife wants bigger Cantaloupes

George Bowman

My wife wants big cantaloupes. No, not that kind. The kind you eat. Throughout the years I have seen her Thai family participate in farming projects to make money. However, the main problem always seems to be the startup is good but the follow through is lacking. Nothing has ever made any decent money other than the rice farming and that is currently a tough market. I have my projects and the wife has hers and sometimes we have one together. This new adventure is hers. 

Anyway, back to cantaloupes. My wife and her older sister recently attended a seminar held in the village about growing this fruit and decided to give it a go. A greenhouse has been built behind the family's house and plants will soon be in the ground. Now, I grew up on a farm in Midwest America and we often planted watermelons and cantaloupes. However, by the end of the summer, the sun and heat would often kill the plants.

The photo below shows the greenhouse being built about a week ago. And this is what I don't understand. The building is now complete  and built according to the Thai experts. The entire greenhouse is wrapped in plastic from top to bottom. Side to side. Even the one small door to enter is covered in plastic. In other words, there are no ventilation vents anywhere nor do they want any. Not the way that I would do it.

I have learned that sometimes the Thais have good ideas in regards to farming or construction. But this greenhouse has got me baffled. I know that many thaivisa posters enjoy cantaloupes, so maybe someone can explain my confusion...

green house.JPG

Going to be hot as Hades in there with no ventilation and humid, encouraging fungal growth.

Where did you get the plastic sheet? I'm looking to build a dome (with blue mesh sides and plastic sheet roof) in the New Year.

Sorry but the way that you described the greenhouse and from the pictures, it's going to be a disaster and waste of money and time.

As others mentioned, the side walls must be of something that allows air flow but keeps insects out.
There needs to be some kind of opening on the highest point of the roof to let the hot air escape.
The greenhouse construction is far too low in my opinion.
All the commercial farms growing cantaloupe on some kind of vertical system on ropes etc.
Also most of the farms are using substrate culture with bags however it possibly could be done in soil but definitely will reduce pest pressure from soil borne diseases.

I recommend you have a look or visit some of the commercial farms in Thailand.
One that I know and have visited is Coro Field in Ratchaburi province but nowadays there a few more spread around Thailand.

52 minutes ago, CLW said:

Sorry but the way that you described the greenhouse and from the pictures, it's going to be a disaster and waste of money and time.

And you are correct. This entire project which wasn't even mine or ours was driving me crazy, so I went to have a look this morning. Come to find out, my wife said the workers misunderstood. The plastic has now been taken off of the sides and 700 seedlings are in the ground. 

I did go inside to take a gander and unfortunately, it ain't weed...

green house2.JPG

6 hours ago, grollies said:

Going to be hot as Hades in there with no ventilation and humid, encouraging fungal growth.

Where did you get the plastic sheet? I'm looking to build a dome (with blue mesh sides and plastic sheet roof) in the New Year.

Depending where you are, Global House Korat sells rolls AND by the Meter of several withs.

I know of several places here that sell by the roll only, 50/100M. I only need 5M.

rice555

Seems to me the plastic roof is to protect against direct sun and heavy down pour, with mesh sides will not be a collection of heat at the lower growing level. Pests will be the main concern as this is effectively outdoor growing with a cover.

I spoke to a commercial advisor I met on a flight a while ago, and noted the sealed unit aspect of his 'greenhouse' design was in order to have good pest control, this is obviously a major concern.

Hope it works, please keep us updated it is good to have pictures and commentary on progress of this type of low cost project.

You don't need ventilation. And accualy it's very possible they do it for saving water. Only need to make sure the plants inside can't "burn".

You remember a few y ago they did build a "spacecenter" in the American desert? That was a test for a future life on Mars. And because you can't open a window on Mars think they also didn't had vents what could open.

Also a brother of an ex gf of me once build a kind of microclimate inside a big bottle. Put plants inside and moisted it. Then did seal it completly and even after 6y everything inside the bottle was still alive and growing.

16 hours ago, tifino said:

i did, really did! try to hold off... but resistance was futile...

melons.jpg

In all fairness, if women can get Thai-style augmented melons, men should be afforded equal opportunities.

IMG_1643.JPG

On 12/26/2018 at 5:34 PM, rwill said:

I bought some really good melons from this place.  They grow in a bug screen house.  The floor is a cement slab and they have bought plastic bags filled with growing medium already.  They use drip irrigation.

Image may contain: plant

https://www.facebook.com/lamoonfarm/

If I was ever to grow melons this is the system I would use.

Archived