Good quality bread in Chiang Mai

FaFaHead

Like pizza, coffee, burgers et al, I guess personal taste and convenience comes into it. I recommend Dominique the Baker not so far from Nong Hoi market. Excellent bread, croissant and a small range of proper french pastries/bakeries. Supplies some top hotels and restaurants but does retail too. To my taste he bakes the best croissant on the planet!!

Just now, beau thai said:

Like pizza, coffee, burgers et al, I guess personal taste and convenience comes into it. I recommend Dominique the Baker not so far from Nong Hoi market. Excellent bread, croissant and a small range of proper french pastries/bakeries. Supplies some top hotels and restaurants but does retail too. To my taste he bakes the best croissant on the planet!!

Thank you!

Hideaway down soi next to the SCB on Hangdong just past ESSO. Turn left on Soi right at the front corner of bank. All kinds of home made bakery items including break. Excellent homemade dishes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Follow soi down until it curves right. On left next to their cheese factory.

16 hours ago, beau thai said:

We thought the bread was just O.K.; not as good as L'Opera for sure. Some of the croissants, pastries, etc. were indeed good but at 95 Baht each for most of them it's even more than it would cost in Europe.

On 12/26/2018 at 12:37 PM, Bill97 said:

Got a friend that thinks those spongy white square loaves are great guality. What do you think?

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

Told this tale several times, so why not again....

As an experiment I threw a slice of 7/11 plastic bread together with a slice of Makros fresh bread onto my rotting compost heap.

Aftwe three days the makro bread was going green, and the bugs were on it.

After a week it was black and looking disgusting but my worms and flies were happy.

After three weeks it was already breaking down into compost.

Oh yes, the plastic bread.....after three weeks it was still pretty white, very few bugs were chancing it.

Conclusion? Well I can only assume plastic bread is laden with preseves, chemicals,bleaching agents and possibly chlorpyrifos!

Stay away from it.

I started a similar thread 4 months ago.

The winner is L'Opera by a lot over Nana and Crusty Loaf (and Tesco in Bangkok).

(But avoid eating there and getting capuccino there - horrible).

Didn't try the others yet.

I wish all of these bakeries had a label listing the ingredients.

"Possible to get real baguettes or other quality crusty daily baked bread in CM?"

"I've had no luck finding this in 3 SE Asian countries so far including Thailand.

Real bread without sugar , dairy, fungicides, preservatives, daily baked, and with a crust, not a squishy loaf."

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1056250-possible-to-get-real-baguettes-or-other-quality-crusty-daily-baked-bread-in-cm/

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

Told this tale several times, so why not again....

As an experiment I threw a slice of 7/11 plastic bread together with a slice of Makros fresh bread onto my rotting compost heap.

Aftwe three days the makro bread was going green, and the bugs were on it.

After a week it was black and looking disgusting but my worms and flies were happy.

After three weeks it was already breaking down into compost.

Oh yes, the plastic bread.....after three weeks it was still pretty white, very few bugs were chancing it.

Conclusion? Well I can only assume plastic bread is laden with preseves, chemicals,bleaching agents and possibly chlorpyrifos!

Stay away from it.

A friend of mine went on a 2 month trip and came back to find the unrefrigerated Farmhouse loaf that she forgot to bin , looking pretty much the same as when she left it!

Occasionally i buy whole wheat bread made with olive oil at Rimping/ HomePro, San Sai.  A local baker, B2Oven makes this bread and similar bagels, which i also buy.  The other bread brands i won't buy.  The price is good so my acceptance is high.

But can only find this bread 3 or 4 times a month at the supermarket.

1 hour ago, stament said:

Croissants are fine but I like a crusty french stick which they and lots of other places don't do.

I had a nice crusty French Stick from Makro on 108 only yesterday, excellent and better by far from the soft junk sold by Big C and Tesco !

On 12/27/2018 at 3:18 PM, chingmai331 said:

Occasionally i buy whole wheat bread made with olive oil at Rimping/ HomePro, San Sai.  A local baker, B2Oven makes this bread and similar bagels, which i also buy.  The other bread brands i won't buy.  The price is good so my acceptance is high.

But can only find this bread 3 or 4 times a month at the supermarket.

I've just started making my own bagels.

Same recipe as normal bread, you just need to boil it in water for 2-3 minutes before baking.

Here's a really big one I did for fun, just to see how big I could manage in the saucepan.

(and a couple more boiling away in the pot)

bagel.jpg

bagel boil.jpg

On 12/26/2018 at 10:40 PM, JimmyJ said:

I

"Possible to get real baguettes or other quality crusty daily baked bread in CM?"

"I've had no luck finding this in 3 SE Asian countries so far including Thailand.

Real bread without sugar , dairy, fungicides, preservatives, daily baked, and with a crust, not a squishy loaf."

Try Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia. 

20131112poolishbread2.jpg?itok=CwcNSUzv

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

Try Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia. 

20131112poolishbread2.jpg?itok=CwcNSUzv

Haven't been to 2 of those yet, but didn't like the bread in Vietnam.

The bread used in banh mi wasn't anything like the baguettes that L'Opera sells in Chiang Mai.

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Haven't been to 2 of those yet, but didn't like the bread in Vietnam.

The bread used in banh mi wasn't anything like the baguettes that L'Opera sells in Chiang Mai.

The bread in Vietnam was OK, the bread in Laos wasn't very good.

Vietnam has the edge on Thailand, but not by much, I was surprised.

Archived