Moving to BKK

hooperx

37 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

If you're working in Huai Kwang it might be an idea to live near the MRT rather than the BTS

BTS connects to the MRT so it's not really a problem? Though to be honest I don't know why anyone would want to live in such expensive and crowded areas

BTS connects to the MRT so it's not really a problem? Though to be honest I don't know why anyone would want to live in such expensive and crowded areas

Same reason people like to live downtown New York or London or George st Sydney

But it's not really a mystery. If you have wealth then you can choose. If you dont then it's a village or pattaya or the worst choice possible.... deep out in the burbs of bangkok

44 minutes ago, Quack said:

BTS connects to the MRT so it's not really a problem?

Well taking one train every morning and night rather than two is obviously more convenient,  especially considering how busy those connecting stations get at rush hour.

With your budget it will be easy to find a condo in that area. I live at Asok 100 square meter condo 40,000. Come to the area and look around. 

Pick a building you like and walk in and ask what’s available. That’s how I got my unit, it’s fairly easy.

20 hours ago, Quack said:

everyone to their own. you could ask why anyone would want to live in a village in thailand, or in pattaya, but they do and why not? whatever floats your boat and makes you happy.

i live in a quiet soi in bangkok and think it's wonderful. others would say boring.

5 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Why? GREAT area. Near everything. Convenient to everything and fun. Lively. Best location in BKK. :coffee1:

I agree that its "lively" ????

Fun is relative.

"Near everything" is relative too. You are "nearer" to the older shopping areas and farang oriented stuff. I am "nearer"  to the better and cheaper and better street food, the world class shopping, the River, and the Thai oriented stuff like Koh Khret, Maha Chai, Samut Prakhon, etc. Off peak, I can be at the farang Sukhamvit area in 20 mins and home for 170 THB grab at bar close from Soi 11. I can go 100 meters to a great Bar/Restaurant and watch Man U, have 4 beer Laos, a shot of JD, a plate of fried shrimp, a plate of Spicy Stir Fry Braised Pork with veggies and some Thai style Chicken wings for 800 baht. And thats an expensive spot.

And I don't have to deal with crowds of farangs 24/7, no Burkhas here, no cops.

And I pay 11K for 30sqm with a gym and a pool right on the BTS.

Now if I was working in Huay Kwang, Id be looking at the MRT from Asoke on up. Id look at Lad Phrao MRT, lots of nice looking condos in that area.

I agree that its "lively" [emoji846]

Fun is relative.

"Near everything" is relative too. You are "nearer" to the older shopping areas and farang oriented stuff. I am "nearer"  to the better and cheaper and better street food, the world class shopping, the River, and the Thai oriented stuff like Koh Khret, Maha Chai, Samut Prakhon, etc. Off peak, I can be at the farang Sukhamvit area in 20 mins and home for 170 THB grab at bar close from Soi 11. I can go 100 meters to a great Bar/Restaurant and watch Man U, have 4 beer Laos, a shot of JD, a plate of fried shrimp, a plate of Spicy Stir Fry Braised Pork with veggies and some Thai style Chicken wings for 800 baht. And thats an expensive spot.

Now if I was working in Huay Kwang, Id be looking at the MRT from Asoke on up. Id look at Lad Phrao MRT, lots of nice looking condos in that area.
Catching taxis and jammed into bts just to go to lower Sukhumvit for your fun sounds like a hassle to me but as I said it's all about wealth
Those without have to to the taxi bts motorbike shuffle.. Yuk!

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Catching taxis and jammed into bts just to go to lower Sukhumvit for your fun sounds like a hassle to me but as I said it's all about wealth
Those without have to to the taxi bts motorbike shuffle.. Yuk!

The BTS is rarely jammed going into Sukhumvit at 10:30 pm from where I am at, once a week or so.

And when I lived in Ekkamai, I would take taxis from the Nana area at closing time.

So unless you live right on top of Soi Cowboy, Thermae or Nana, sooner or later you are going to have to cab it. Your trade off then is the hordes of tourists, overpriced crap food and drink and all the rest of the yuck down there. So enjoy your walk, those with have transport ????

Lower Sukhumvit is where the fun used to be.  Now a complete tourist trap complete with tourists, who I want nothing to do with.  BTS Sukhumvit is a crowded, uncivilized mess.  I take it, when it is the only choice, but can't imagine paying a premium to be able to pay a premium for crap.  There is a large army of willing Thai ladies in Metro BKK..so not not only is going around there to find a "date," unnecessary; it is more likely to be a girl you do not want to know.  

22 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The BTS is rarely jammed going into Sukhumvit at 10:30 pm from where I am at, once a week or so.

And when I lived in Ekkamai, I would take taxis from the Nana area at closing time.

So unless you live right on top of Soi Cowboy, Thermae or Nana, sooner or later you are going to have to cab it. Your trade off then is the hordes of tourists, overpriced crap food and drink and all the rest of the yuck down there. So enjoy your walk, those with have transport ????

Over priced food? What are you talking about! I'm a 5 minute walk to the T21 air con food hall 40 baht a dish 

You criticize but still go there to play. You can't afford to actually live there so pretend it's not your style lol 

I've met many like you. Live out in the burbs and try to justify it but dance around the fact it's always always about the $$$ 

4 hours ago, madmen said:

You criticize but still go there to play. You can't afford to actually live there so pretend it's not your style lol 

I've met many like you. Live out in the burbs and try to justify it but dance around the fact it's always always about the $$$ 

I go there once a week,if that. Usually go a club or thermae for old times sake. Half the time it's because I go to my bank in Phrom Pong.

how do you know what I can afford? Is this going to turn into a bank balance contest?

Maybe I'm just not sleazy.

32 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I go there once a week,if that. Usually go a club or thermae for old times sake. Half the time it's because I go to my bank in Phrom Pong.

how do you know what I can afford? Is this going to turn into a bank balance contest?

Maybe I'm just not sleazy.

I would go to live in Monaco. But I can't afford it. At least I'm honest about it ????

2 hours ago, madmen said:

I would go to live in Monaco. But I can't afford it. At least I'm honest about it ????

I cant afford Monaco either, but I'm I sure could afford a place on Sukhmavit if I wanted.

But  living in an area thats is undoubtably a foetid, loathesome cesspool of depraved, gutter crawling sexpats and drunks, drunken violent Russians, medieval Arabs, prancing ladyboys with deformed enormous feet and wide eyed Chinese tourists going slumming, as well as the lumpenproletarian Thais that feed off the filth and corruption is not my idea of cozy.

So excuse me if I dont share your love of the area. Yes I do go there. Its like an enema, sometimes you have no choice.

34 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I cant afford Monaco either, but I'm I sure could afford a place on Sukhmavit if I wanted.

But  living in an area thats is undoubtably a foetid, loathesome cesspool of depraved, gutter crawling sexpats and drunks, drunken violent Russians, medieval Arabs, prancing ladyboys with deformed enormous feet and wide eyed Chinese tourists going slumming, as well as the lumpenproletarian Thais that feed off the filth and corruption is not my idea of cozy.

So excuse me if I dont share your love of the area. Yes I do go there. Its like an enema, sometimes you have no choice.

Where do you live? I'm guessing you have not mentioned it because your not particularly proud ????

11k to live in a shoebox God knows where. What a winner! 

Sure you can afford Asoke.. But you prefer taxis and bts and motorcye shuffle 

Oh puleeez! Your looking a bit silly 

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Where do you live? I'm guessing you have not mentioned it because your not particularly proud ????

11k to live in a shoebox God knows where. What a winner! 

Sure you can afford Asoke.. But you prefer taxis and bts and motorcye shuffle 

Oh puleeez! Your looking a bit silly 

Near Talat Phlu BTS. And you dont go anywhere except your your local cesspool? Whats to do there? Hang out at Terminal 21 and look at clothes that dont fit you at H&M? Count Chinese tourists? Get up early to see if you can be first at bar at Hillary 1? Hey, Im bored, lets go to...Hillary 2!

Like if you want to spend the day at say...Koh Kret or the Lung or Chinatown how do you get there? Walk?

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Near Talat Phlu BTS. And you dont go anywhere except your your local cesspool? Whats to do there? Hang out at Terminal 21 and look at clothes that dont fit you at H&M? Count Chinese tourists? Get up early to see if you can be first at bar at Hillary 1? Hey, Im bored, lets go to...Hillary 2!

Like if you want to spend the day at say...Koh Kret or the Lung or Chinatown how do you get there? Walk?

Hey your the one that sneaks into lower Sukhumvit by your own admission 

The reason you live in the burbs is of one thing and one thing only. 

30 years to put money together and you blew it lol 

Now it's a skinny pension. You know it, I know it ????

On 12/28/2018 at 3:14 AM, Nyezhov said:

I agree that its "lively" ????

Fun is relative.

4 bottles of beer AND a shot of whiskey and I take it that's a typical evening for you? You need to take a long hard look at your alcohol consumption. You sound like a raging alcoholic. Why do I often find that so many of my fellow farangs in Thailand need to be drunk out of their skull to relax and enjoy themselves? Very sad.

9 minutes ago, madmen said:

Hey your the one that sneaks into lower Sukhumvit by your own admission 

The reason you live in the burbs is of one thing and one thing only. 

30 years to put money together and you blew it lol 

Now it's a skinny pension. You know it, I know it ????

Despite Obama and ex wives, my finances are now fine, thanks. How many residences in the USA do you own btw?

But, more importantly, I dont sneak LOL.  Sneaking is for those ashamed. I go to your "fabulous" area with aplomb and head held high.

Yes, Virginia, I boldly wade into the seething mass of tuk tuks, riffraff, puke, refugees, sexpats, drunks, wide eyed tourists, Africans, guttercrawlers, cockroaches, dope dealers, hookers, paedos, beggars, sewer stenched louts, touts, garbage, dildo sellers, Viagara pushers, Burkha bandits, rats, Dubai dudes, and ladyboys with 5 o'clock shadows on an occasional basis to remind myself of WHY I chose to live outside the insular farang ghetto....and to maybe seek solace in the arms of some willing young thing for a brief 5 minutes (I get some good street shots too if I take the camera). Indeed, I was going tonight to walk clockwise around the Thermae, but for the fact that I woke up late from my post photography expedition nap. So a nice meal and a wank will do just fine, with apologies to the Aussie I stole that line from.

The reason I live in the "burbs" as you put, it is that it suits my needs, which are far more than raucous drunken reveling and cavorting in the filth of a foetid slum where loathsome last leg characters destroy the terminal remnants of their Hep C

pickled livers with cheap Happy Hour beer whilst attempting to recapture their manliness by boffing worn out HIV encrusted hags who have seen more lingams that all of the temples in India. I don't mind slumming, but to live there? How declasse.

Why do you live there? Because its "close to everything" and you dont have to take cabs or Motocys? Don't be meretricious. There is no "everything" there. There is only the modern day Hogarthian version of Gin Lane, with a tourist shopping mall so you can claim its trendy and edgy. Don't be silly. Its Pattaya Soi 6, writ large, at 10 times the price.

You know it, and I know it.????????????????????????

William_Hogarth_-_Gin_Lane.thumb.jpg.ffa617d0df577a3344444b1e9674e046.jpg

12 minutes ago, Thainess said:

4 bottles of beer AND a shot of whiskey and I take it that's a typical evening for you?

No dude thats Manchester United night only. Thats my weekly allowance over 4 hours, unless I go slumming down in Gin Lane once a week and indulge in a (single) lovely Samsong Cola because 160 baht for a bottle of Soda Water is irritating.

But thanks for your teetotalling concern. Ill try not to be a raging alkie more than once a week ???????????????????? 

Archived